How to help your country's GDP raise just like China?

RedDragon

From my experience, to help your country get more GDP and development and your own person to get more money is just one method:"Work More".

One of the key factor of China's fast deveopment is that Chinese are willing to work more. In the factory Chinese works are willing to work more hours for extra money. They work more and product more. So the GDP of the country raised.

Take myself as an example. When I was in my twenties, I often work two jobs in the same time. Once a time, for a whole year I have worked for 3 jobs at the same time, one is the primary Job as a IT director in one company. And worked as a development director for a develop team to review their source code in the night. And worked as a tutor in an IT training school in the week end. I work very hard, in fact that year despite the part time jobs, I get a reward for my good performance in my primary Job.

It is good for both myself and my country. I have buy my own department earlier than others. And my country also develop more fast because my hard working.

Would you like to work in this way for both of youself and your country? :)

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
yeah in someway everyone is helping to raise their country's GDP.

Spoiler Alert: Don't raise your nation's GDP with counterfeited goods contributing 1/10th of it, like popular non-innovative neighbor country does.

RedDragon

yeah in someway everyone is helping to raise their country's GDP.

Spoiler Alert: Don't raise your nation's GDP with counterfeited goods contributing 1/10th of it, like popular non-innovative neighbor country does.
non-innovative, really?? As a R&D person, I don't know what I'm working for.

amitkriit

China is at least 25 years ahead of India in terms of socio-economic growth. It really doesn't matter how they achieved it, its working perfectly for them.

captonjohn

Country flag
One of the key factor of China's fast deveopment is that Chinese are willing to work more. In the factory Chinese works are willing to work more hours for extra money. They work more and product more. So the GDP of the country raised.
In this side everyone work more than usual specially middle class employees, professionals, workers. They usually work more than usual working hours and most of them don't get paid for it. Now tell me will chinese worker will work if they know they won't get any money for it? Indian does so who is more hard working?

I myself worked more than 12 hours in my job and sometime it get exceeded to 16 or even almost 24 hrs without any compensation and many people is dong same. Working like ant helps only in manufacturing but R&D needs money and take a lot of time.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
non-innovative, really?? As a R&D person, I don't know what I'm working for.
:bored: I was talking about Bangladesh....

But since now you asked, let me put something --

Some 15-20% of all prominent branded goods in China are counterfeit, with much higher rates for expensive but easily reproduced products such as computer software and movies, whose piracy rates are >90%. Bogus antibiotics and toxic fake drugs have been known to kill hundreds of thousands in China in a single year, and to contribute to a worldwide epidemic of fakes estimated by WHO at 8% of all drugs.

Producers of fakes can reap huge profits because they avoid costs that legitimate manufacturers cannot: taxes, advertising, labor laws, and environmental restrictions. Localities have a greater interest in producing fakes than the national government has in stopping them, as the national government decreased subsidies for state-owned enterprises, forcing local officials to find new ways to finance local industry. In some instances, factories run "ghost shifts" using cheaper material and unofficial labor. "Entire cities and counties have become regional counterfeiting centers," with the counterfeit industry accounting for some 8% of China's GDP. Because China's 3,000 county courts are under local control, half-hearted enforcement of intellectual property rights continues to ensure production of counterfeits.

A recent addition to the culture of fakes is a phenomenon known as shanzhai, describing products that are not passed off as fakes but as imitations of famous brands at much lower prices, and sometimes with more features e.g. cell phones. Shanzhai products sometimes outperform the originals, enabling consumers to be more comfortable with violating the intellectual property rights of multinationals. By 2008, there were at least 10,000 shanzhai companies in China.
-- Karl Gerth
The main point is that counterfeiting and intellectual property theft are not just a minor occurrence in China, they are a major industry.

In the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2007, the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition (IACC) wrote that China was the origin of 80% of the counterfeit and pirated products seized by customs authorities of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and these seized products had a U.S. domestic value of over $158 million. "China remains the single largest source of fake products found in global markets," said IACC President Bob Barchiesi. "Brand owners are also seeing more fake labels and components shipped separately from China for assembly and distribution in other countries."

Counterfeiting not only steals money from legitimate manufacturers and jobs from their employees, it also endangers the people who buy or use the counterfeit products. In consumer goods this is pretty obvious, as evidenced by the toothpaste made with antifreeze, the dairy products and pet food made with plastic waste, the children's jewelry made of lead or cadmium and the counterfeit medicines. But with industrial products like valves, the risk may be hidden from the end user; a factory's customers seldom here about production problems caused by faulty valves.

Collins pointed out in his blog that in China the theft of trade secrets and intellectual property is not considered immoral, but merely part of doing business. "My own view," he said, "is that because the Chinese have never grown up in a democracy, they have a very different view of ethics and the law. They seem to think that in world trade anything you can do to achieve individual gain or competitive advantage over a rival is all part of the game."

For all those reasons and more American or other Western companies can't expect much help from Chinese authorities when it comes to stopping counterfeiting. In October of 2009 Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke spoke at the International Forum on Innovation and Intellectual Property in Guangzhou, China, but no concrete action was promised. "They're looking the other way," said Collins. "Occasionally what I've seen is they'll go out when there's just irrefutable proof and they'll close the plant down for two weeks, or put somebody in jail for three days and then they'll release them." And the counterfeiting goes on as before.

And the Chinese government may be actively helping the counterfeiters, Collins suggested. "Encryption codes for products like secure routers, anti spam and anti-hacking software databases and other high tech products will have to be reviewed by a government panel, which could be leaked to Chinese competitors."

In February 2008 the IACC called on the U.S. Trade Representative to make China a Priority Foreign Country for its failure to provide adequate and effective protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights. "Until China removes longstanding obstacles to criminal prosecution," said Barchiesi, "piracy and counterfeiting in China will probably get worse."

-- Valvemagzine
China is the epicenter of the counterfeits boom"¦. Just a few years ago, counterfeiting was all Gucci bags and fake perfume. Now it's everything. It has just exploded. It is many times larger a problem than it was only a few years ago. The counterfeit inventory ranges from cigarette lighters to automobiles to pharmaceutical fakes that can endanger a life. I would bet that there are companies in this country [the U.S.] that don't even know they're getting screwed.

--Frank Vargo, National Association of Manufacturers

captonjohn

Country flag
By the way another reason for India's steady growth is originality and emphasis on quality. You can not deny the fact that almost everything has been copied by chinese industries and dumped into market which is not qualitatively match the original product. Chinese growth has taken short cut by copy and dump.

amitkriit

Fact:
India's export to China: 20 Billion USD, mostly raw material
India's imports from China: 40 Billion USD, mostly finished good.

This argument of India producing original and high-quality goods doesn't pass the reality check. China produces all kinds of items from low-quality to very high-quality, u just have to find a good manufacturer/supplier.

tanlixiang28776

Fact:

This argument of India producing original and high-quality goods doesn't pass the reality check. China produces all kinds of items from low-quality to very high-quality, u just have to find a good manufacturer/supplier.
Thank you for helping bringing some people back to this world. Look I'm sure India makes many quality and innovative products but it still needs improvements to match China. While 158 million dollars of counterfeit products sound like a lot its actually negligible when you consider China exports 1.5 trillion a year. In other words that accounts for .01% of Chinese exports. Yes China produces many cheap products but it also produces many high tech goods.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Fact:

What about counterfeited goods??

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Would you like to work in this way for both of youself and your country? :)
No, not really.

There is a saying in Sanskrit, "Ati sarvatra varjayet".

It means that everything should be done in moderation.

Working all the time is just as unhealthy as not working at all. Living a balanced life will lead to a happy life, and happy citizens will lead to a happy country. This should be the goal of all countries, as it was the goal of ancient Indians, not economic domination.

tanlixiang28776

What about counterfeited goods??
counterfeited products are not worth much and are not sold in any legitimate retailers. Mostly its purses and DVDs sold in shady illegal street corners. That is certainly not enough to account for China's 1.5 trillion exports a year.

Table 5: China's Top Exports 2009 ($ billion)
*Calculated by USCBC
Source: PRC General Administration of Customs, China's Customs Statistics
HS Commodity description -----------------------Volume
Electrical machinery and equipment------------ 301.1
Power generation equipment -----------------236.0
Apparel ----------------------------------*100.5
Iron and steel -----------------------------*47.3 *
Furniture -------------------------------------38.9
Optics and medical equipment------------------ 38.9
Inorganic and organic chemicals --------------*32.0 *
Ships and boats ----------------------------------28.4
Footwear ---------------------------------------28.0
Vehicles, excluding railway--------------------------27.9

As you can see low tech products like toys and purses don't actually make much money for China. It's mostly industrial products that needs relatively advanced manufacturing facilities and techniques to produce.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
counterfeited products are not worth much and are not sold in any legitimate retailers. Mostly its purses and DVDs sold in shady illegal street corners. That is certainly not enough to account for China's 1.5 trillion exports a year.

Table 5: China's Top Exports 2009 ($ billion)
*Calculated by USCBC
Source: PRC General Administration of Customs, China's Customs Statistics
HS Commodity description -----------------------Volume
Electrical machinery and equipment------------ 301.1
Power generation equipment -----------------236.0
Apparel ----------------------------------*100.5
Iron and steel -----------------------------*47.3 *
Furniture -------------------------------------38.9
Optics and medical equipment------------------ 38.9
Inorganic and organic chemicals --------------*32.0 *
Ships and boats ----------------------------------28.4
Footwear ---------------------------------------28.0
Vehicles, excluding railway--------------------------27.9

As you can see low tech products like toys and purses don't actually make much money for China. It's mostly industrial products that needs relatively advanced manufacturing facilities and techniques to produce.
I am not questioning China's existent/future ability to produce high-tech goods.

Fact of the matter is almost 1/10th of Chinese GDP is constructed with production/trade of counterfeited goods.

I am simply rejecting the Chinese model of GDP growth which author recommends. NO, I don't want to help (?) my country's GDP raise like China.

kickok1975

To me I think the best way to raise a country's GDP is good system for long term sustainability and education.

tanlixiang28776

Fact of the matter is almost 1/10th of Chinese GDP is constructed with production/trade of counterfeited goods.
I saw the source of 158 million dollars worth of counterfeit products seized by U.S in 2007. U.S accounts for 1/4 of China's exports so lets raise that to 600 million dollars. Lets account for missing merchandise so 1.2 to 2 billion dollars. Even at this ridiculously inflated number counterfeit products account for only 1/1250 to 1/750 of China's exports nowhere near your 1/10 figure. I seriously doubt China can sell 150 billion dollars worth of counterfeit goods.If you have sources for this it would help

I am simply rejecting the Chinese model of GDP growth which author recommends. NO, I don't want to help (?) my country's GDP raise like China.
I don't understand how being hardworking and sacrificing for your country is somehow a bad model of growth. If you don't like its fine but 1.1 billion people can't all work in the services industry. At current IT in India accounts for 0.5% of India's working population. Most people still have to work in low end jobs to survive in any developing country. Looking down on China for following the development of all countries won't help India

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Thank you for helping bringing some people back to this world. Look I'm sure India makes many quality and innovative products but it still needs improvements to match China. While 158 million dollars of counterfeit products sound like a lot its actually negligible when you consider China exports 1.5 trillion a year. In other words that accounts for .01% of Chinese exports. Yes China produces many cheap products but it also produces many high tech goods.
Pay attention... $158 million is the value of counterfeit goods found by customs in the US. That doesn't include the billions that slip by them and the 20% of Chinese exports that are counterfeit. China's exports are worth $1 trillion, not 1.5t so counterfeits are worth $200 billion a year.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I saw the source of 158 million dollars worth of counterfeit products seized by U.S in 2007. U.S accounts for 1/4 of China's exports so lets raise that to 600 million dollars. Lets account for missing merchandise so 1.2 to 2 billion dollars. Even at this ridiculously expanded number counterfeit products account for only 1/1250 to 1/750 of China's exports nowhere near your 1/10 figure. If you have sources for this it would help
If you've gone through them it clearly indicates 8% of PRC's GDP coming from counterfeited products. One source highlighting 9% figure. Its a good read & it also summarizes how a practiced approach from China helps in growth -

http://www.peternavarro.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/chinapricereport.pdf

I don't understand how being hardworking and sacrificing for your country is somehow a bad model of growth. If you don't like its fine but 1.1 billion people can't all work in the services industry.
I am not against country's population working hard day, & night to eventually help its economy. For example, I appreciate thousands of Chinese workers functioning hard to achieve sustainable infrastructure for its country. Its a commendable job indeed. This hard work model is no doubt honorable.

But, a large mass with some unofficial support from Govt running imitation factory for world is not acceptable. It does not reflect any credit on them, moreover its an injustice over the original manufacturer. It undermines work/innovation of third party. Its not fair if I create an electronic item exactly same as you do & sell it with your companies name, just to take advantage of name you built with hard efforts.

At current IT in India accounts for 0.5% of India's working population. Most people still have to work in low end jobs to survive in any developing country.

Yeah they have to work on low-end jobs. But when these IT soldiers forge software, its not justified & that model of growth is worrisome.

amitkriit

IT is not going to drive India's growth story, we need industries which can employ our semi-skilled labor force. We need to train our man-power to make them more productive. India has been importing labor from China because our people are not skilled enough. India will grow with the growth in domestic demand, and that domestic demand can only be created by ensuring job for everyone and by ensuring that every laborer and worker is paid at least the minimum wage. Theories of Economics prescribe distribution of wealth, as it encourages spending since more money is rotated in the economy.

tanlixiang28776

If you've gone through them it clearly indicates 8% of PRC's GDP coming from counterfeited products. One source highlighting 9% figure. Its a good read & it also summarizes how a practiced approach from China helps in growth -

http://www.peternavarro.com/sitebui...China's known growth so don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles