How to clean India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Jan 21, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Seeing litter on the streets annoys me no end and i cant fathom why it cant be cleaned by the authorities responsible for it.

Why can't it be clean and tidy ? why cant ganga and yamuna be cleaned....i want to see crystel clear blue water!

Zebra likes this.
  3. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Corruption, Flaws in System, Not enough money with Gov., Incompetence among Govt. employees.

and most important thing..... Indians lack civil sense. We are biggest culprit.

You travel with Train or Bus, Visit any market or park. You can see number of people throwing garbage and spreading dirt.

We need to change our mentality that " Beside our own properties, Rest are also ours" it's our responsibility to make it clean.

Zebra likes this.
  4. The Messiah

I doubt Indians lack civil sense because same Indians out of the blue are following rules regarding civil sense outside India.

-Some sort of fine needs to be imposed on anyone caught throwing anything other than in the dustbin.

-On the first day of every month if there is any dirty area in a city then the persons responsible get fired. Atleast this way they will clean every month.

5. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Because there are Rules/laws outside India(Mostly west). Even for spitting.

Here in India, No Rules....Travel in train and face it.

People throw garbage everywhere, including Rivers. No permission, No Law, Nothing.

Our Civil sense is very bad.

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  6. Nirvana

Nirvana Regular Member

We can't completely blame govt here !! we are the real culprit's

we as Citizens should be responsible to maintain our Street's clean
    I Myself have habit of throwing litter on street's or Spitting on roads ....I have been fined Rs.200 twice here while throwing coffee cup on street...So it's me and all of us are as responsible for Cleanliness of our country as those govt worker's responsible for cleanliness

we need to bring change in ourselve's to get this mess sorted !!

About Ganga ,Yamuna - I Think a project to clean this rivers is already underway.....govt has already sanctioned funds...but this may take time...since this rivers recieve huge Population every year and thus get's Polluted....I think some strict restricitons are need to be brought up !! Usually people all around from India go to ganges to take bath....the people staying there are dependent on ganga..and use it for their basic needs...and Ashes of cremeted People are also let out at ganges....so there is need for restriction to altleast lower this menace

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  7. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

But if GoI want it they can push for it .
    Example is Surat in Gujarat after Plague issue . I still remember it , how Mr S R Rao manage to get clean the city . Not only the garbage but he did clean the garbage in admin of SMC . All the illegal buildings come down , trust me no corruption there while he was there in SMC . Once is was told by a clark , aap ko saram nahi aati , ek das rupia to do. ( Like I am not giving chai-pani that is why I must feel shame .) That was on octroi check post . In Mr rao's time the Octroi men told me when I tried to give him fifty bucks , Saab ab hum sudhaar gaye hai , iski koi zaroorat nahi hai ab .

The bottom line is if they want they can do it . But than ....... as we know .......

Untitled Document

8. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Urban Polulation
    1. Mandatory Waste to Energy Systems in all urban population of over a million. Making power from garbage. We would thus need about 50 such plants at an initial investment of $100 million per plant translating into a $5 billion investment that would generate about 300MW per plant. The cost of the generated electricity would be enough to run the plant for eternity.
    2. Massive water treatment plants to tackle urban sewers. Mandatory for all urban populations of over 1 lakh. We would need about 300 such plants at an initial investment of $1 million each for the smaller sized plant to cover urban areas of 1 lakh each and upto $20 million to cover urban areas with a population of 5 million. The net investment could be between 5 and 7 billion dollars.

Industry
    1. Phased relocation of all heavy manufacturing industries to Industrial SEZ's. In excess of 90% of all new plants are being built in such SEZ or Industrial hubs. Older installation must be shut down or relocated to such areas. Difficult to estimate cost.
    2. Industrial Sewer system connecting multiple Industrial hubs and SEZ's to master treatment and purification facilities. Cost of connection of plants to the main artery has to be borne by the plant. Difficult to estimate cost.

9. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

If the question had been 'How to clean Pakistan' I would have said Harpic.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  10. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

it is because of lack of discipline...at first no one would stand in queue for autos and buses in my city..but authorities started using police with big sticks to make citizens stand in queue...these police were there for one year i guess and since then for last one year people will themselves form queses...

our people(including authorities) have no interest in cleaner streets...so they do not enforce discipline on people...and thus this problem still exists in almost all cities across india..

11. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

The OP's question is how to clean India. Enough with the psycho analysis of why we do certain things the way we do. Stop the gyan and give some ideas/thoughts on how to fix.:frusty:

12. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

danda on g@*d of those who throw garbage on streets..

13. The Messiah

Cant see this happening in Indian democracy!

Industrial waste is something that is easier to control than regular public....i have seen factories dumping vast quantities of waste into rivers. Fine the bastards and have an independent body to monitor them at regular intervals.

14. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

A hefty fine. If it can work in metro stations, it can work on the streets. They actually fine the vendors in the station premises for customers littering around their shops. Spitting on roads is a tricky scenario though.

As far as cleaning rivers is concerned, the corruption is killing the whole process. Thousands of crores have been sanctioned to clean Yamuna and I'm yet to see a single stretch of the river devoid of filth.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  15. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I think this is a good idea. I myself have thought on these lines in the past. Instead of 1st of every month, I think it should be random. At least 3 areas every month.

Also, I think it should be targeted at the residents in addition to the officials. The city can probably be divided into "circles" with a group of residences in each circle. If garbage is found in a circle during a random check, a collective fine needs to be imposed on all residences of that "circle".

But then again, the devil lies in the implementation. We have the processes and laws in place, but there is no implementation. I wonder if such a scheme can really be implemented well enough. :frusty:

16. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

You need a environmental where people feel they are not living in garbage and think twice when throwing garbage here and there..
    You need laws which restrict such action and also implemented with proper force..

Example:
    Delhi metro
    Army cantonments

Don`t know many, But these are clean and people do think about clean..
    Btw, How many of you clean & Organize your own rooms ?? :D

17. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Good question. I rarely clean my room. I am a highly untidy person. :D

But I always take special care not to throw anything on the street. I put wrappers of chocolates in my pocket and throw them in the dustbin at home. I keep larger packets on the dashboard of my car and throw it into the dustbin at home. :namaste:

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  18. The Messiah

my room is clean and tidy and everything is put in organized fashion.

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  19. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

That's maybe your spouse keeps it that way.:D

20. The Messiah

Im not married!

21. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

lack of garbage bins is the major reason. Chewing tobacco is a another reason. We need garbage bin every 25-50 meters in Urban areas. We need proper waste disposal systems as well. Where are people supposed to throw all he rubbish? If they don't find a bin around them, they will throw it on the road.