How India brought down the US' supersonic man

pmaitra

OT:

Looking at some of the heated exchanges going on here, I think there is room, and need for restrain, on several sides:
  • Being DFI, there will naturally be a pro-India bias.
  • If DFI, however, is to attract overseas participants, rhetorical rants from Indian members need to be curtailed.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
yeah...but now the world has moved 4rd...i don't see any significant role pak can play, (but they can be an evil supporter (china and terrorists)...May b they don't know the ugte suraj ko pujna chahiye theory (india in this case)...
Allying with the US, then the Terrorist and the Communist, history speaks itself of Pakistan playing the opportunist, actually they swear by the ugte huwa suraj policy. Don't be surprise if they knock at Indian door in the future.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
So this is how the silly little myth of "PAF greater than IAF" came into being. This extract amplifies it greatly:

Later, in his autobiography, Yeager, the subject of Tom Wolfe's much-acclaimed book "The Right Stuff" and a Hollywood movie, wrote a lot of nasty things about Indians, including downright lies about the IAF's performance. Among the things he wrote was the air war lasted two weeks and the Pakistanis "kicked the Indians' ass", scoring a three-to-one kill ratio, knocking out 102 Russian-made Indian jets and losing 34 airplanes of their own.
So today's time is not the first time US propaganda has bitten the dust. :lol:. Interesting. Now at least we have something to say back to Pakistanis; the bolded part.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

W.G.Ewald

Professional
dear friend,

you need to understand that we really do not care who your ace is or how many confirmed kills he got. because it does not matter to us in any way.

the way we see it is, he was an american helping our sworn enemy during war time. for no reasons, he made it personal and was ranting like lunatic when his "fishing plane" (beach-craft) was mowed down in crossfire by IAF. how stupid can he be to come-up with his own conspiracy theory without understanding the gravity of the issue here?

he came with his own conspiracy theories like indian way of showing finger to america, our PM specifically order to shoot down his fishing plane, and demanding counter-measures from Washington... blah blah blah :blah: :blah: :blabla:

was he really thinking that america will attack india just because his fishing plane was shot down??? he perfectly demonstrated height of his stupidity and mount Everest of his ego.

(no offense intended)
Yeager was a military man and was sent by his government on a mission to help Pakistan. Up until the appearance of this thread I was unaware of that aspect of his career. I guess the shooting up of his Beechcraft by Arun Prakash has its comedic aspects, and as someone pointed out, for your Indian pilot, facing Triple A is not a day at the beach.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
:p
You are again missing the point.

The focus of the article is on how Chuck Yeager reacted to that apparently trivial thing when much bigger and important things were going down. Please read the article again.
OK, I got the point.:-D

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Yeager was a military man and was sent by his government on a mission to help Pakistan. Up until the appearance of this thread I was unaware of that aspect of his career. I guess the shooting up of his Beechcraft by Arun Prakash has its comedic aspects, and as someone pointed out, for your Indian pilot, facing Triple A is not a day at the beach.
all accounts except yeager clearly points out that his fishing plane was mowed down in crossfire only; yeager himself was a pilot and he knows the fact that any pilot won't have enough time to personally identify ground target when flying low at high speeds while surrounded by AA fire from all directions. plus, it was foggy morning; visibility was very limited; they didn't had infra-red and gps thing back then. Arun prakash just wanted to spot and destroy "any" targets that he can find and get the hell out of there. he also destroyed UN C-130 transport aircraft which was parked on PAF airbase. destroying his fishing plane was totally unintentional.

read arun prakash's account as well.
How I crossed swords with Chuck Yeager - Admiral Arun Prakash [www.bharat-rakshak.com]

for your Indian pilot, facing Triple A is not a day at the beach
our history and country is at-least 40 times older the history of USA itself. history has enough evidence that all those who have challenged india in the past have perished and we still stand today. if we can kick out and win freedom from British without even firing a single bullet, then i don't think we will have any problem facing yours triple A pilot any day, any time. pakistanis kept fkucing with us since Independence and see what we did to them in 1971, 1999, ?

yeager should feel lucky that he didn't faced our pilots intentionally or he might have not gone home to kiss his wife.

Bring it on!!!
do not understand the valour of our armed forces; believe me and you guys don't want to face it.

Last edited:

Tronic

our history and country is at-least 40 times older the history of USA itself. history has enough evidence that all those who have challenged india in the past have perished and we still stand today. if we can kick out and win freedom from British without even firing a single bullet, then i don't think we will have any problem facing yours triple A pilot any day, any time. pakistanis kept fkucing with us since Independence and see what we did to them in 1971, 1999, ?

yeager should feel lucky that he didn't faced our pilots intentionally or he might have not gone home to kiss his wife.

Bring it on!!!
do not understand the valour of our armed forces; believe me and you guys don't want to face it.
LOL. Triple A pilot. That's epic.

Try to figure out what this "AAA" W.G.Ewald is talking about before going all Banzai on him!

AAA refers to anti-air ack ack guns or Flak.

p2prada

@WG

Sir. Your heroes aren't out heroes. The British don't sing praises of George Washington or Horatio Gates. Neither do the Americans sing praises of King George III. The Middle East may heap praises on Osama, but does the US? It is a matter of difference in opinion. Similarly, notwithstanding Chuck Yeager's achievements, he was an enemy of India and is hence being treated as such. There are plenty of Soviet heroes with equivalent or greater accomplishments as Chuck Yeager which the Americans don't really give two hoots about.

Now you understand why the US is willing to bend over backwards in order to improve relations with India. We have been your enemy for most of the cold war. Friendship does not come easy.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
@WG

Sir. Your heroes aren't out heroes. The British don't sing praises of George Washington or Horatio Gates. Neither do the Americans sing praises of King George III. The Middle East may heap praises on Osama, but does the US? It is a matter of difference in opinion. Similarly, notwithstanding Chuck Yeager's achievements, he was an enemy of India and is hence being treated as such. There are plenty of Soviet heroes with equivalent or greater accomplishments as Chuck Yeager which the Americans don't really give two hoots about.

Now you understand why the US is willing to bend over backwards in order to improve relations with India. We have been your enemy for most of the cold war. Friendship does not come easy.
I think we have exhausted the topic of Yeager and his Beechcraft, but in response to your post and that of pmaitra above, I have been weighing this question in my mind. How useful is it to re-fight the 40 year old war? Are there still any lessons to be learned, and do they relate to present regional distribution of forces?

Indianboy

Country flag
Allying with the US, then the Terrorist and the Communist, history speaks itself of Pakistan playing the opportunist, actually they swear by the ugte huwa suraj policy. Don't be surprise if they knock at Indian door in the future.
It also explains why it is an Islamic Republic and they promote themselves as if Pakistan = Islam

Indianboy

Country flag
Only Henry Kissinger could tell you, and you wouldn't be able to understand him.
Yeah, my dad used to tell me how he favored Pak, be it 65 or 71...but the "bitch" and "bastards" failed him. Now he says "India has parallel objectives to the United States" and an ally of the U.S.

But the question is not about Pak or India. It's about right or wrong. Politics has to be pure and right otherwise one will have to bear it's adverse effects. Same pakistani terrorists attacked US multiple times, helped Laden in 9/11 and also gave a shelter to him for 5-6 yrs...

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
USA in its love for Pakistan has sullied the name of two of its war heros.one was Chuck Yeager other was patton on who's name patton tank met its graveyard in asal uttar by so called russian junk and jeep mounted guns of indian army.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Only Henry Kissinger could tell you, and you wouldn't be able to understand him.
He did what he thought was best for the US. so if his views on India have turned 180Degrees, it is based on the ground reality and not on any new found love for India.

Perfectly logical I think.

p2prada

I think we have exhausted the topic of Yeager and his Beechcraft, but in response to your post and that of pmaitra above, I have been weighing this question in my mind. How useful is it to re-fight the 40 year old war? Are there still any lessons to be learned, and do they relate to present regional distribution of forces?
It's no use at all. But we cannot forget, can we?

The current situation may help create mutual heroes for us in the future. For eg: Chuck Yeager is a hero to both the US and Pakistan. For us he is just some guy who hated us.

In the future both of us may have a hero who the Chinese may not consider a hero.

More importantly, in the Indo-Pak context, we are still fighting the same old war. Only the battlefields have changed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles