How important is Hindi????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankaj nema

Country flag
South Indians who travel outside their home states and those who come back after a stint in other states are all well versed with Hindi

SO we can say that in PERCENTAGE terms the number of South Indians who know Hindi is INCREASING every year

Basically Language is a need based thing ...You need it you learn it

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
OK, here's Bangalorean, the final authority on all matters related to Bangalore :D

You don't need to learn Hindi to survive in Bangalore - even Kannada is not necessary. English will do fine, as long as you don't get into something involving last-mile sales or direct marketing which requires a lot of interaction with the locals. Remember however, that when it comes to interacting with shopkeepers, drivers, etc. broken English, more accurately "Kanglish" (Kannada-English), will help more than fluent proper English. :D

You will get the hang of it pretty soon - no sweat.

amitkriit

amitkriit

OK, here's Bangalorean, the final authority on all matters related to Bangalore :D

You don't need to learn Hindi to survive in Bangalore - even Kannada is not necessary. English will do fine, as long as you don't get into something involving last-mile sales or direct marketing which requires a lot of interaction with the locals. Remember however, that when it comes to interacting with shopkeepers, drivers, etc. broken English, more accurately "Kanglish" (Kannada-English), will help more than fluent proper English. :D

You will get the hang of it pretty soon - no sweat.
I have lived in Bangalore, please don't lie.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
For one, Telugu and Kannada scripts are similar. I can read Kannada signs and boards in Bangalore.

దెఫెన్సె ఫోరం అఫ్ ఇండియా

ದೆಫೆನ್ಸೆ ಫಾರುಂ ಆಫ್ ಇಂಡಿಯಾ

Telugu and Kannada reading "Defence Forum of India".

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Even person who cant speak can survive in any city but that doesn't mean language isn't important.

Oracle

I have to agree with Bangalorean. You don't need to know Kannada to survive in Banglaore or for that matter Hindi. Local languages have taken a back seat in almost all parts of India. IMHO, Hindi is the best language all across India, as it binds people together.

On a side note, this thread has been hijacked by idli & sambar party, plus some trolls.

Blackwater

I had previously mentioned this fact: Using a language and communicating in a language are two separate things.
I could not find a Hindi page here either:
Bihar Government Website
But then go to Bihar and try communicating in English with the natives, you will understand the importance of Hindi.
Bihar does not represent whole India..

Blackwater

I was responding to the quoted text. Your views don't represent whole India either, but then then they are not to be ignored, aren't they?
my views is same as views of most of Indians. Hindi is not that imp today.that the bottom line

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
It's rare for South Indians to go to the Hindi belt. Mumbai and NCR are the only two northward destinations. South Indians shuttle at ease between Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, Coimbatore, Chennai, Kochi, Hyderabad, Vijayawada, and Visakhapatnam, and converge at Tirupati.

Between Southern cities, English is the binding language. Even in Tier-III urbanish-towns like Guntur, Vellore, or Dharwad, Auto drivers will speak good-enough English to take you around.

Hindi is spoken only in state capitals where there's an influx of youth from the north seeking education or employment in industries where no Indian language (not even Hindi) is relevant, only English is. Eventually all those youth get versed with local languages.

So that gives you an illusion that Hindi is spreading south. It's not, it's the other way around.

It's speakers of Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Malyalam that are growing. A kid that comes from Meerut to Hyderabad to work uses English at work, eventually learns Telugu, and settles down here. In A.P., there's an entire community of people from Braj (Western UP), who have settled down here and became Telugu speakers over the century.

amitkriit

It's rare for South Indians to go to the Hindi belt. Mumbai and NCR are the only two northward destinations. South Indians shuttle at ease between Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, Coimbatore, Chennai, Kochi, Hyderabad, Vijayawada, and Visakhapatnam, and converge at Tirupati.

Between Southern cities, English is the binding language. Even in Tier-III urbanish-towns like Guntur, Vellore, or Dharwad, Auto drivers will speak good-enough English to take you around.

Hindi is spoken only in state capitals where there's an influx of youth from the north seeking education or employment in industries where no Indian language (not even Hindi) is relevant, only English is. Eventually all those youth get versed with local languages.

So that gives you an illusion that Hindi is spreading south. It's not, it's the other way around.

It's speakers of Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Malyalam that are growing. A kid that comes from Meerut to Hyderabad to work uses English at work, eventually learns Telugu, and settles down here. In A.P., there's an entire community of people from Braj (Western UP), who have settled down here and became Telugu speakers over the century.
That's just living in denial. Two South Indian families live in my neighborhood, one from Kerala, another one from Tamilnadu. You can find them everywhere here in NCR region. I have been to Bangalore and Hyderabad, never found any difficulty in talking to people in Hindi. Most people in big cities use Hindi where it has been accepted as the bridge.

Please don't make it a clash of civilizations.

Galaxy

Country flag
That's just living in denial. Two South Indian families live in my neighborhood, one from Kerala, another one from Tamilnadu. You can find them everywhere here in NCR region. I have been to Bangalore and Hyderabad, never found any difficulty in talking to people in Hindi. Most people in big cities use Hindi where it has been accepted as the bridge.

Actually he said the same thing.

Those who go from North to South, Speak English or Hindi (Capital city) or learn south Indian languages. Those who come from south to north - They learn Hindi as no one speaks south Indian language and very less English in daily life.

But Still, almost 2/3rd of Indians do speak fluently or understand some HINDI. :)

Param

All Indians who study Hindi in school also study English. So just because they earn Hindi does not mean they speak the language.
The same Logic that you used for English in a previous post also applies here, a lot of people may know but they may not communicate in Hindi.

Hindi is the Lingua Franca in the Hindi belt, so there is no need to discuss about Bihar or UP or NCR.In all states Hindi is compulsory except TN, where that's voluntary.

Any way there is no need to wage a campaign to spread Hindi. Hindi is spreading slowly even in TN without the Govt promoting that language.So the Hindi scholars need not worry.

Finally I have observed that some people non Hindi people from some far off remote corner of the country seem to be waging war against Idli Sambar.I understand that there is nothing to talk about their own vernacular so they tend to eulogise Hindi.

There are only guns and bullets were they come from and learning their own mother tongue cannot provide them with jobs in AFSPA land.So they migrate in huge numbers and have no alternative to learning Hindi, since it is easier for them than learning Tamil, Kannada, Telugu or Malayalam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles