How hard is the GMAT?

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
So I might be writing the GMAT soon. I think some DFI members have taken that test. If so, how hard or easy did you find it? My goal is to get a 99th percentile score.

Not sure if it's relevant but I do well on standardized tests usually. On the SAT, I got 2340/2400, which is a 99th percentile score. So, math doesn't scare me.

pmaitra

• What are the subject areas that you were tested on for SAT?
  • Why do you want to take the GMAT?

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
  • What are the subject areas that you were tested on for SAT?
  • Why do you want to take the GMAT?
SAT is the standardized test you write in high school to get admission into college.
No subjects were tested in particular. It's a general aptitude test. The quantitative section covers basic math and the verbal section covers reading comprehension. There's also a writing section.

GMAT is required to get admission into MBA programs.

pmaitra

SAT is the standardized test you write in high school to get admission into college.
No subjects were tested in particular. It's a general aptitude test. The Quantitative section covers basic math and the verbal section covers reading comprehension.

GMAT is required to get admission into MBA programs.
Your SAT scores were impressive.

What is the major of your Bachelor's Degree?

pmaitra

Philosophy.

Wtf is the point of the 50 character threshold?
A Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy, followed by a Master's Degree in Business Administration, does not make a very promising combination. You should seek to get a diploma in a field that actually teaches you the skills to be a desirable hiree in the job market. Law would be a good option. An MBA has little value if the underlying degree is not in STEM or finance. If you are under the impression that you can directly become a manager by getting an MBA, you are in for a rude shock. No manager likes to hear, "You want me to do this after I told you it is impossible? How about you do it yourself and show me how to do it?"

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
A Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy, followed by a Master's Degree in Business Administration, does not make a very promising combination. You should seek to get a diploma in a field that actually teaches you the skills to be a desirable hiree in the job market. Law would be a good option. An MBA has little value if the underlying degree is not in STEM or finance. If you are under the impression that you can directly become a manager by getting an MBA, you are in for a rude shock. No manager likes to hear, "You want me to do this after I told you it is impossible? How about you do it yourself and show me how to do it?"
GMAT scores are good for 5 years right? So, I just want to take it and leave my options open. I'll definitely be getting work experience in between. It doesn't hurt to do it. Still vacillating between law school and grad school. I'll be writing the GRE as well.

pmaitra

GMAT scores are good for 5 years right? So, I just want to take it and leave my options open. I'll definitely be getting work experience in between. It doesn't hurt to do it. Still vacillating between law school and grad school. I'll be writing the GRE as well.
Why GRE? Will you qualify for a STEM graduate programme with a Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy? You might be required to take extra undergraduate credits before you get into graduate credits, even if you have a good GRE score. Law School is a good option. In any event, don't waste your time in getting trained in skills that will land you in a job like flipping burgers at McD's. Sorry, I sound rude, but I only want to see you getting a decent paying job, and that can happen only if you spend your time and effort in gaining skills that will get you hired for decent paying jobs.

Interesting comments: http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/14/news/low-wage-workers-strike/index.html

You don't want to be one of these clowns.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Why GRE? Will you qualify for a STEM graduate programme with a Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy? You might be required to take extra undergraduate credits before you get into graduate credits, even if you have a good GRE score. Law School is a good option. In any event, don't waste your time in getting trained in skills that will land you in a job like flipping burgers at McD's. Sorry, I sound rude, but I only want to see you getting a decent paying job, and that can happen only if you spend your time and effort in gaining skills that will get you hired for decent paying jobs.

Interesting comments: http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/14/news/low-wage-workers-strike/index.html

You don't want to be one of these clowns.
Well I'm considering embarking on a PhD in philosophy. Guess I'm just keeping all my options open.
Ye, the job market is shit for humanities majors. I guess I gotta sell my soul to make a living. I'd rather not, though.

pmaitra

Well I'm considering embarking on a PhD in philosophy. Guess I'm just keeping all my options open.
Ye, the job market is shit for humanities majors. I guess I gotta sell my soul to make a living. I'd rather not, though.
You don't have to sell your soul if you don't want to. Humanities major does not guarantee a soulful conduct. Even that infamous Nazi-loving cookie distributor has a humanities major.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Wonder what @Bangalorean has to say about all of this.
Well, considering your past performance in SAT etc. and my general impression of you, I don't think the GMAT should be too tough. The problems are very simple - we learned most of those concepts back in 10th standard. The verbal section should be a breeze for you, given what I know of your writing skills on DFI.

But here's the thing - it needs backbreaking hard work for at least 3-6 months. We tend to look at a few sample problems and think that we can crack the exam easily. But I figured out that it doesn't really work that way. When we actually get our hands dirty and start writing mock exams, reality hits hard. It took me 3 months of effort (around 2-3 hours per day) to get good scores on the mock tests.

I never got around to writing the GMAT though - after all my preparation and effort, I landed a very lucrative and tempting job, which involved immense amounts of travel worldwide, leaving no time for anything else. I took up the job, and my GMAT aspirations took a back seat.

brational

Country flag
Time is the decisive factor. Based on my experience with CAT, you need to give a lot of time to enhance Maths and quantitative skills. Reading and comprehensions are equally important. It is not important that you are capable of solving the problems, what is more important is, you are doing this within specified time. GMAT is not a hard nut to crack.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Humanities PhD no no no. The returns to effort are too low. Unless you are really interested in academics, you should not pursue it. Also, if your aim is academic job position, then it is almost 1/10 chance that you will get a job. So keep these factors in mind before you make a decision.

As far as standard tests are concerned, if you have ok IQ you will do well with some preparation. So, don't worry too much about that aspect if you work hard.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Humanities PhD no no no. The returns to effort are too low. Unless you are really interested in academics, you should not pursue it. Also, if your aim is academic job position, then it is almost 1/10 chance that you will get a job. So keep these factors in mind before you make a decision.

As far as standard tests are concerned, if you have ok IQ you will do well with some preparation. So, don't worry too much about that aspect if you work hard.
So, my best bet is to marry rich amirite?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles