How China Fights: Lessons From the 1962 Sino-Indian War

no smoking

Country flag
History indicates that before making any attack on any country China works on exit policy. Chinese do have the exit policy and surprise is their key strategy. They will attack suddenly and then will run away. China may attack in very quick and sudden way and will retreat when they will find that she has gave enough harm to Indian Army and now IA is capable of dealing with Chinese aggression.
Obviously, your history course only gets a "F".

Fighting inside our territory won't help until we change our policy to fight inside Chinese land. In this way we won't leave chinese if they retreat after attack and push them inside their territory.
PLA will be delighted to see India army trying this new "genius" strategy. Logistic, remember, logistic.

captonjohn

Country flag
Obviously, your history course only gets a "F".
You better care about your history buddy.

PLA will be delighted to see India army trying this new "genius" strategy. Logistic, remember, logistic.
You didn't understood my comment, I am talking about "Push" NOT invading. China can not even think about invading India then why India would bother for that?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is the call counter attack policy.. :D

Well, you hit the bulls eye..

You didn't understood my comment, I am talking about "Push" NOT invading. China can not even think about invading India then why India would bother for that?

no smoking

Country flag
You better care about your history buddy.
I point out the wrong conclusion you got about my history.

Without a decent army, you can't break through the Chinese defence line which was built for ages.
And the best this army can do in Chinese terriory is as the same as a possible Chinese army in india territory: suicide.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You don`t know 'A' of what chap was talking and this is not a 'fanboy' forum..

Don't try to be a smart - Learn something from what he is speaking about..

I point out the wrong conclusion you got about my history.Without a decent army, you can't break through the Chinese defence line which was built for ages.And the best this army can do in Chinese terriory is as the same as a possible Chinese army in india territory: suicide.

tramp

Maybe Nehru could have done better. Maybe Nehru should have listened to the Army and Defence Ministry of Chinese movements. But we do not know Indian situation at that time, a nascent nation which had stood up to the combined machinations of US and UK on Kashmir -- US to further its interest in its new vassal state of Pakistan and UK miffed at India denying it a similar role as for US in Pakistan.
But as of now I would be bothered about the lessons we could take away from 1962. The fact is India did learn her lessons. Hence Indira's strategy of preemptive strike. In this case in East Pakistan when Pakistan was about to strike on the western border to divert attention.
Indira was more decisive for historical reasons, perhaps.
And we know now, she had initiated a review of tactics along the China border. In fact she preempted the Chinese by talking Sikkim into joining the Indian Union by signing an accession treaty. The Chinese are still miffed by that.
So you can see India's China policy has not been a zero sum game that India lost badly. Also, India did beat China to entering treaties with land-locked Bhutan and Nepal during Nehru's time itself.
Therefore let us not say India's entire foreign policy during Nehru's time was a blunder, just because we have the benefit of hindsight.
Some of you must be the same cricket fans who stone cricketers' houses after one loss to Pakistan, even if India had one the tournament.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles