How China beats India hollow in trade ....what is MODI doing about it ?

Indibomber

Again, we really need to stop looking at the government like our father and our mother.

The government can only do so much. Don't like Chinese products? Stop buying them. But our middle-class whiners can't live without their rubbish gadgets or won't pay 10 to 20% higher for a non-made-in-China device.

I bet that if the government takes action and imposes tariffs, the childish middle-class will revolt and start murmuring and say "Pappu is better only, he will make everything cheaper".

Remember how Vajpayee was betrayed by middle-class voters?

Unless Indians learn how to ORGANISE properly and think collectively instead of in terms of caste, language, region, religion, political affiliations, we are doomed.
I would love to buy Indian electronics products & won't mind paying 10% extra, now tell me how do I find made in india electronics products?
Please use Amazon/Flipkart to sight examples and that's a genuine question.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Friends it is no use asking our jawans to fight on the border when we are actually giving the enemy better weapons and equipment and then asking our men to fight a battle which is slanted against them because we are giving the enemy better arms ......where is the sense in it ?

we are not fighting a total war but they are ! ...we have in our thinking, disjointed the economy from physical fighting ....is that how intelligent we are ?? in reality one area supports or pulls down the other ...it is a war with many facets or departments and each one of these has to be in top shape, otherwise the enemy will see a gap and move in and divide and conquer - which is exactly what is happening at Doka La

ats the point of dveloping PAKFA and then giving them huuuuge money to do r&D to have something equivalent at lower costs , they win in manufacturing and r&d and we supported them for it , then we try to defend ourselves ?

economy is part of the war and we are not seeing it !

please read the full article ....it is a good one , but ultimately ACTION by the modi govt is required otherwise with all his travelling abroad and shaking hands an all that he has failed !

we lose territory while he make a name for himself ....another Nehru !

we need to take an integrated approach otherwise they are applying divide and rule yet again , in a different way but still it works for them and they become our new colonialist

How China beats India hollow in trade and dominates Indian homes, markets and economy

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-markets-and-economy/articleshow/59616193.cms

<
Aggressive pricing on the back of state subsidy, a protectionist outlook and cheap finance have allowed Chinese manufacturers to outprice their domestic counterparts. Products of Vikram Solar are 8-10% costlier than Chinese imports.

China seems to be grabbing most of it. "The US and Europe are taking measures to protect themselves against Chinese dumping
. We have instead offered them a direct train to the Indian market. The government must ring fence Indian firms to allow them to grow," says Chaudhary.

About a decade back, the traders often used to source products — toys, plastic buckets, idols of Indian gods, among others — from domestic manufacturers. In toys alone, Yadav knows many Indian manufacturers who employed 500-plus people and were their suppliers. "
They have all shut down and now import from China. Cheaper and better Chinese imports have wiped out the domestic industry," says Yadav.

On the border, India is trying to ward off Chinese aggression. In the cold Himalayan plateau, temperatures have shot up as an old political rivalry heats up. India and China are sparring over the Doklam tri-boundary area (the third country being Bhutan), near Chicken's Neck which connects India's north-eastern states to the rest of the country.

Shrill calls for a boycott of Chinese goods are getting louder, with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and its affiliate, the Swadeshi Jagran Manch, joining in and social media networks amplifying the noise.

( my comment is that these calls WILL NOT WORK without replacing the china products ....just social action on the streets is hardly the issue .... we need to support our own manufacturing with whatever tariffs it takes and make sure our replacement strategy grows and eventually comes of age ! .....otherwise it is a lot of hot air without substance ! )

But deep inside India, at homes and in markets, in economy and in trade, Chinese dominance is a reality. "Although
lopsided, .......

on a related note ...i seriously fear that india will not survive if we keep this kind of management
where we have 30 yr delay in managemtn of defence

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...trials-on-in-pokhran/articleshow/59617196.cms
NEW DELHI: Exhaustive field trials are being carried out on two long-range ultra-light howitzers in Pokhran which the Indian Army received from the US after a gap of 30 years since the Bofors scandal broke out, an official said.

if this is the way the ocuntry is ging to be run , then immigrate fast !

already Huawei brand is capturing the market and a few holdouts like me are paying more to avoid it and buy other brands eg Korean - ...and meanwhile where is our AKASH tablet ? i dont see it on the european markets ? ...is it sold in india ?

only solution is - stop playing with your vote - get rid of the kejri's , lalus' and mayawats, trinamools in the system , the karats' then the country has a chance otherwise start learning mandarin ! because indian culture for lack of economic support will be wiped out like tibetan has been done in

friends this could be one of my last long posts to all of you ....time is playing its role ....Brigadier Ray who was once a part of this forum is no more with us ..... time calls us out sooner or later ... so please heed my last advice ...im not sure how much longer i might be with you all .
It was dumb chidambarm in whose time our capital goods import shoot up 600% i.e from 10 bn USD to 70bn USD. He allow imports with little restrictions and china was the main beneficiary. He ruined Indian economy which was in trade surplus mode in Vajpayee time ended up in huge trade deficit resulting into Rupee going down like anything. Any government must protect Indian industry for a while so that they become fully competitive and take on any company on their own.
How many of you know that our loans to steel industries worth Rs 2 lakh corre had became NPA but modi government imposed Minimum import price which saved domestic steel sector and now the NPA has become a good loan. All low tech goods must be banned and should be made unattractive for import. We have a huge domestic consumption and we must make it sure that all these goods are produced locally. Chinese products must be kicked on their back and Indian government should make it sure that products like mobile are produced locally. It has a sale of lakhs of crores of rupees and domestic industries may benefit like anything. We have to be highly aggressive on domestic manufacturing front and should make it sure that Other may not take the advantage of Indian doemstic market and its benefit confine to Indian companies or companies producing their goods in India.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Grossly flawed logic which would have been correct if india were already a rich nation and all other aspects of the economy were doing fine

for those who cant get a chance to read the "article", it is based on only one point - that if you have a trace deficit , it shows that you have the ability to buy stuff from others and thus you are actually doing fine -- that is the kid of BS we are getting from forbes magazine ? or rather they allow such comments on their paper ? ....it is so silly even as a comment it shouldnt have been printed !

but here we are talking about competition and indian small and medium industry is losing out to china ..... further more he does not address the military issue where the 50 billion surplus goes to fund their military and our soldiers are thus less well equipped than theirs ... his logic goes to say that balance of payments deficit is good becos it shows you are rich --- in india's case that is clearly ridiculous ...otherwise tell it to the many farmers about 25 last week ? ) who committed .......

what we have in india is a situation where the rich and the middle classes have spare cash and so they are purchasing ..... but their money is benefiting the prcchinese and not their fellow poorer indians who are finding their economic situation basically unbearable ..... we need to help those guys get into something even making paper clips so that they could earn a living ...please !! and stop financing prcchina to buy better weapons and r&d to kill our men

the article author is no economist he may be a politician or perhaps a prcchina economist writing behind a false name to fool some gullible indians but i hope not us on this forum

references;-
Because that company does nothing but screwdriver giri.
...you mean screw-girls ? :drool:

rock-ji .... i really admire your effort

Well said! For those who want to boycott Chinese goods, would need ]
It will take time ...we need to improve our manufacturing
indian government need to follow the same economic policies that south korea, taiwan ad
Again, we really need to stop looking at the government like our father.
We have given orders for metro trains to china. When we have capacity why are we ordering it. t.
China will continue to beat India in trade
secondly India has no plans to develop have industries like China has.

Destination of China's exports, 2016.
Macroeconomics is better viewed from a larger perspective than from individual examples.
I would love to buy Indian electronics
It was dumb chidambarm iIndia.
guys i love alll your posts quoted above especially about chiddy and willing to pay more to help our own folks first

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
btw members of dfi might like to know that i have written the post above as a reply to the "genius" who wrote on forbes magazine and posted that reply about a minute or two ago .....forbes statement is that comments are usually posted in about 30 seconds ...as mine is a scathing riposte to he "article" i wonder if they will actually allow it ! ...btw the guy is a research fellow at the adam smith institute in london --- and he writes such stuff ?? ..unless it was meant to be a joke which it certainly is !

KumarG

Country flag
Just curious...

Chinese opened their bond market worth 9 trillion $ to international players last week.

How does it impact Chinese economy in the future?
They will probably say that they're trying to "rebalance" their economy, but to me it looks like they're simply trying to offload the bucketloads of risk that CCP has taken through the shadow banking sector and free money printing.

KumarG

Country flag
btw members of dfi might like to know that i have written the post above as a reply to the "genius" who wrote on forbes magazine and posted that reply about a minute or two ago .....forbes statement is that comments are usually posted in about 30 seconds ...as mine is a scathing riposte to he "article" i wonder if they will actually allow it ! ...btw the guy is a research fellow at the adam smith institute in london --- and he writes such stuff ?? ..unless it was meant to be a joke which it certainly is !
Agree, I thought it was some random person spouting useless economic gyaan.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Need a trillion dollars in FDI, the same amount which China got from 1994 till 2012 and then India will have a bigger trade surplus than China.

IndianHawk

Country flag
further more he does not address the military issue where the 50 billion surplus goes to fund their military and our soldiers are thus less well equipped than theirs ..

You are missing the point. The question is are they really have a surplus??? If they are selling products in India at below market prices they are subsidizing it somehow. In order the keep the jobs for Chinese.

That subsidy might well be over the surplus that they apparently make.

The point here is that we need to asses the nature of Chinese imports more carefully .
What can we make in India at lower cost shall be made in India like toys , small electric things , mobiles and intermediate components.

In areas where it will take time to substitute Chinese imports as heavy power equipment where we lack the scale and it will take years to build capacity we need to welcome the chinese subsidized equipment for that period as it reduces our cost of production and also helps creat infrastructure faster.

China might be our enemy but it has serious industrial overcapacity and we might find all ways to exploit this to our maximum benefit.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
You are missing the point. The question is are they really have a surplus??? If they are selling products in India at below market prices they are subsidizing it somehow. In order the keep the jobs for Chinese.
That subsidy might well be over the surplus that they apparently make.
The point here is that we need to asses the nature of Chinese imports more carefully .
What can we make in India at lower cost shall be made in India like toys , small electric things , mobiles and intermediate components.
In areas where it will take time to substitute Chinese imports as heavy power equipment where we lack the scale and it will take years to build capacity we need to welcome the chinese subsidized equipment for that period as it reduces our cost of production and also helps creat infrastructure faster.
China might be our enemy but it has serious industrial overcapacity and we might find all ways to exploit this to our maximum benefit.
Bro, you argument is far better than that so-called research fellow i referred to
your makes much more sense
what we can do , we must do and what we at the moment cant , then we strive for a replacement plan in X number of years
all that is fine

my over-arching question is : Does the goi have such a plan - to gradually replace prcchina made goods - or are we going about without a plan
Do they have a plan ? ....... it seems not !!!!
so what is our beloved Modi-ji doing about it ?
that has been my overall question as in the title of the thread !!!

and we need to be firm about it ad get the private sector involved

but as usualthe goi has no such plan , no such ideas , unable to think
and when the people try to inform the goi , it takes years for them to get going on it

meanwhile we are stuck with people like Kejri - who dont care two hoots about the country - only for himself and family

corruption , no creativity , self-serving ....all that has to end - and who will be the prime movers for that ?? --- if not the people them whom ??

You are missing the point. The question is are they really have a surplus??? If they are selling products in India at below market prices they are subsidizing it somehow. In order the keep the jobs for Chinese..
please dont be too quick to rejoice in that

the whole idea is that they will subsidise you to purchase , so that you will never get to build your own ....and if these are components that they are subsidising that can be used to build larger products, then you will never build the larger products that use such components

they have got you in a neck hold form which it is gonna be difficult to escape if you continue thinking that way

the south koreans in the past used that strategy - they would sell below cost to capture the market , put others out of business then after they are the only producer left in the game , then they increase prices and everybody else has given up

anyway friend s as i have indicated earlier in another post these are probably the last few long posts i will do here , time is getting short for me --- at the most i will write one liner an such

best wishes to you all - i leave it to you younger ones to look after arya varta ...God bless you all !

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
I would love to buy Indian electronics products & won't mind paying 10% extra, now tell me how do I find made in india electronics products?
Please use Amazon/Flipkart to sight examples and that's a genuine question.
OT: but you might find this useful. I will post it in chit chat thread too. But most members will be knowing This site already.

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
@ The Rock127, I want to change my cell phone but after checking boxes i found all are made in china so, I give up to buy .

Berkut

Country flag
A few observations:
1. GST implementation is the first step in combating Cheeni products. Although this will only help where Desi products are in competition with Cheeni items.
2. You have to understand China has been on a march since the late 70s. India got it's independence in 2014. Without people with a vision for the nation and saddled with petty politicians with narrow agendas of getting re-elected or favouring beta damaad, you cannot compete against a serious adversery.
3. It was/is quite easy to get things done in Cheen. Say I want to set up a manufacturing unit, you bribe one individual from the party and that's it. Things are getting simpler in India but we have some distance to go.
4. Cheen is slowing. You can see that when you travel a bit out of Guangzhou or Shanghai. Or off the coast of Freemantle where even 5 years ago, you would see an ocean dotted with bulk carriers ready to load up iron ore n make their way back to Cheen. You don't see a single ship for weeks now. They aren't consuming iron as they were 5 years ago.

abu bakr

cw2005

Going through this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_labour_law) and if its content is somehow accurate, one may see that it is easier to invest into China's labour intensive sector despite China has a minimum wages 2 times the Indian's in year 2011.

Nigeria has even worse problems. Total worker benefit is almost 200% of basic salary. On top of this, unions demand additional benefit such as furniture allowance, free lunch bread, time for praying (in the muslim north) within 8 hours workday, one-year-advance rent loan, yearend bonus even the company is making a loss, yearly wages increment of 13%, full medical coverage including family members without maximum payable as well as full dental expenses. And etc…etc…etc.

All these killed the textile industries here. Chinese company come here to buy cotton lint, transport them back to china, produce jeans, ship them back to Nigeria, pay the corrupted customs and still selling cheaper than locally made ones. Employers here spend US$225 monthly on average to keep one worker in the garment industry with poor productivity (about 2 pieces of shirts a day).

With such Union that we copied and paste from the old British system, no FDI will come to Nigeria in the manufacturing sector.

May be India is much better than ours.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles