How can Indians be comfortable speaking english?

Ajatashatru Bharati

Hindi is completely Alien to Tamil speakers. Same goes for English.

But with English, I as a Tamill will have equal opportunity in terms of Pan india Exams and many things. But if they are conducted in Hindi, then I have to put extra efforts to master Hindi. But with English, both me and the other Hindi speaker has to put equal efforts.
You have a valid point. But this problem wouldn't arise if Hindi is taught since childhood. I mean we have native like efficiency in English despite it not being our native language. I've gained my education in English. So I can perform as good as a native speakers in any English language exam. In fact some Indians outperform British and Americans in their own exams. Or maybe we can have primary education in vernacular and rest in Hindi. I read about some research that suggests that students learn better in their mother tongues during early years in school. And we can have a mandatory second Indian language to learn in native Hindi areas throughout the school life.

As for entertainment industry, no that wouldn't happen. Hollywood dominates the world and is present in India too but Indian language film industries continue to flourish.

Bilal

Just need to learn the language,i have never spoken tamil..is it difficult?

Bilal

Yes i do as a matter of fact i am pretty good in punjabi,there are many dialects of punjabi and i can understand and speak most of them..

Bilal

But punjabi is a reigonal language,hindi/urdu,english and tamil are more reigonal languages,srilanka india have tamil as a recognized language.

nirranj

Country flag
You have a valid point. But this problem wouldn't arise if Hindi is taught since childhood. I mean we have native like efficiency in English despite it not being our native language. I've gained my education in English. So I can perform as good as a native speakers in any English language exam. In fact some Indians outperform British and Americans in their own exams. Or maybe we can have primary education in vernacular and rest in Hindi. I read about some research that suggests that students learn better in their mother tongues during early years in school. And we can have a mandatory second Indian language to learn in native Hindi areas throughout the school life.
But what about the Disadvantage I as a Tamil endure. I have to learn Hindi. But a born Hindi speaker need not spend the extra effort I put in learning another language! If we want to break this ice, then Born Hindi speakers should compulsorily opt for a second Indian language (not sanskrit or Urdu). and should write exams every level of education and should pass that exam to progress to the next level. or, English should be the sole link language. Let learning a language be the natural choice of individuals. I dont know Hindi and will never learn it Until I have the purpose to learn it. But my patriotism is second to none.

As for entertainment industry, no that wouldn't happen. Hollywood dominates the world and is present in India too but Indian language film industries continue to flourish.
With Hindi becoming the link language and Lingua franca of this nation, the destruction of regional entertainment media is imminent. Already Dhoordharsan broadcasts sports with Hindi commentry for majority of the time, and the regional entertainment media will be at disavantage as the hindi based media will have the economic might. India is good as it is.

Hollywood has no cultural connection to India except for English. But India is culturally tied from its head to toe.

nirranj

Country flag
Just need to learn the language,i have never spoken tamil..is it difficult?
Not at all. You can learn it without much difficulty. you will develop a liking for this beautiful language if you read about its rich literature and history.

Ajatashatru Bharati

But what about the Disadvantage I as a Tamil endure. I have to learn Hindi. But a born Hindi speaker need not spend the extra effort I put in learning another language! If we want to break this ice, then Born Hindi speakers should compulsorily opt for a second Indian language (not sanskrit or Urdu). and should write exams every level of education and should pass that exam to progress to the next level. or, English should be the sole link language. Let learning a language be the natural choice of individuals. I don't know Hindi and will never learn it Until I have the purpose to learn it. But my patriotism is second to none.
I already said that it can be made mandatory that native Hindi speakers be made to learn a second Indian language throughout their school life and it's then obvious that they will have to pass exams in that language. I am only supportive of using Hindi in areas where there's a necessity of using only one language like science and tech at the national level, central govt records, inter-state or centre-state communication, defense etc. Otherwise I always support native languages for administration, education at the state level, etc. In fact I believe that all major languages of India should be made official at the central level for use when politicians talk in parliament or during foreign trips with govt taking the responsibility of providing simultaneous interpretation (which is at present being provided in only Hindi and English). If any person asks for any info from central govt in their native language then central govt should make arrangements to provide him the same. Countries like Belgium and Switzerland are also multilingual but are doing well enough without using any foreign language and without imposing any one language on non-native speakers. India is a multilingual country and we can also work without English and without damaging our multilingual culture.

Bilal

Well it depends,if you have learned that english is a very useful language,and it is the lingua franca these days,so better to learn it and progress.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The biggest problem is for people of India, whose language has no gender difference is to know which word in Hindi is masculine and which is feminine.

nirranj

Country flag
I already said that it can be made mandatory that native Hindi speakers be made to learn a second Indian language throughout their school life and it's then obvious that they will have to pass exams in that language. I am only supportive of using Hindi in areas where there's a necessity of using only one language like science and tech at the national level, central govt records, inter-state or centre-state communication, defense etc.
partially agree. The governmental communications should be in all the Languages of India. This requires a team of bi-lingual experts to translate the documents. for RnD, DPSU's, Armed forces I agree for the usage of Hindi. But the Docs again should be translated in all the Native languages, this way we can preserve and grow all the Languages of India.

Otherwise I always support native languages for administration, education at the state level, etc. In fact I believe that all major languages of India should be made official at the central level for use when politicians talk in parliament or during foreign trips with govt taking the responsibility of providing simultaneous interpretation (which is at present being provided in only Hindi and English). If any person asks for any info from central govt in their native language then central govt should make arrangements to provide him the same.
One of the greatest points put in the debate of bridging India's Multilingual landscape. Add, every document in India should be translated and filed in every language of this country.

Countries like Belgium and Switzerland are also multilingual but are doing well enough without using any foreign language and without imposing any one language on non-native speakers. India is a multilingual country and we can also work without English and without damaging our multilingual culture.
I wonder why the greatest men who liberated this nation from colonial clutch never thought in this direction.

Add:

education to any children should be in their native language. but we should first create technical and science terminologies and systems that are agreeable for all the languages of this country (this will help in inter-working between people from different lingual groups). Even we should create Indian equivalent of Metric system and the terminologies should be named in common agreed words. This will help us to eliminate not only the requirement of English, but also will allow the students and scholars to think in their mother tongue. If these can happen, will be one of the greatest achievements of the Idea of United India.

If we can Bring the Lingual groups closer to each other and respect all the languages alike, Bharath will be one always.

nirranj

Country flag
The biggest problem is for people of India, whose language has no gender difference is to know which word in Hindi is masculine and which is feminine.
Cant get you sir?

Tamil has different words for both genders. For example, I ask who did this, and the answer can be avan (he) or avaL (she). It can also be avar (respectful - no gender difference).

Hindi doesn't has such words??

Free Karma

Cant get you sir?

Tamil has different words for both genders. For example, I ask who did this, and the answer can be avan (he) or avaL (she). It can also be avar (respectful - no gender difference).

No what he means is the no gender thing.i.e ,Objects.
Even things like chair,table have a gender in hindi, but in tamil it is an object, no gender.

This was pretty much the biggest problem for me while I was learning hindi back in school

Edit:

Hollywood movies themselves dont do that well (100 crore collections? none I think), but the ones that are dubbed in regional languages, atleast for tamil nadu, the movies with tons of special effects do a *lot* better, there are movies that fail big time in english, but are massive hits in tamil (like that 2012 movie)

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Cant get you sir?

For instance, in Bengali, the words have no gender.

In Hindi, the words are either masculine or feminine.

बिल्ला (billa) = tomcat, बिल्ली (billi) = cat, pussycat.

In Bengali it is Beral, both for male and female cat.

Then there is खाता (khata) = eat पीता (pita) = drink etc.

"ता" (ta) to verb root for masculine singular and "ते" (te) for masculine plural. Add "ती" (ti) for feminine singular and plural.

In Bengali there is no distinction!

Free Karma

"ता" (ta) to verb root for masculine singular and "ते" (te) for masculine plural. Add "ती" (ti) for feminine singular and plural.

Hmm...so if everything has a gender in hindi ,how do people decide the gender of something?

Last edited:

nirranj

Country flag

So If I ask a boy to eat, I will say "Khata"; If I ask a girl to eat, I will say "Khati" ??

"Pita" and "Piti"??

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So If I ask a boy to eat, I will say "Khata"; If I ask a girl to eat, I will say "Khati" ??

"Pita" and "Piti"??
Yes.

In Bengali, girl or boy is khacche.(eating/ drink) / Khao (eat).

nirranj

Country flag

tamil has such distinction in Names.

Ex:
Elephants:
களிறு(kaLiRu) = bull and பிடி (pidi) = cow

Lion:
அரிமா(arimA) =Lion, சிம்மம்(simmam) = Lioness

Cow
காலை(kalai) = bull, பசு (pasu) = cow.

------------------------------------------

Hindi and Tamil seem to be distant relatives!!!

nirranj

Country flag
Yes.

In Bengali, girl or boy is khacche.(eating/ drink) / Khao (eat).
in thamizh.

குடி (kudi) = drink.
சாப்பிடு (sAppidu) = eat.

to a boy,

சாப்பிடுடா (sAppidudA),

to a Girl,

சாப்பிடுடி (sAppidudi)

to elders or requesting many people,

சாப்பிடுங்க (sAppidungga)

for plural men,

சாப்பிடுங்கடா (sAppidunggadA)

for plural women,