How can Indians be comfortable speaking english?

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
Specially girls are fond of speaking in english . They think this makes them look better .

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I would rather learn Punjabi, Hindi and English to it's perfection. No need to hate any language.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
yes this thing sucks but what can we do??

last time i called lenovo service centre and started talking in hindi and after sometime that lady told me sir iam not comfortable with hindi can you please talk in english.
btw she was from pune.
i thought manoos were good at hindi :gangnam:

i love to speak hindi in haryanvi,rajasthani,brij and bhojpuri accent.
hindi speaking population should really watch bhojpuri channel.
they show shaktiman and shin chan dubbed in bhojpuri and it's the most awesomest sh8t :troll:

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Few more points

Delhi is a Hindustani speaking reigon and its dialect has been the prestige dialect of Hindustani; it was easier for West Punjabis to mould themselves to their new home's culture and language. In any case most of the urban West Punjabis could only read and write Urdi and not Punjabi.

Indian Govt foisted upon its people a Sanskritised Hindustani Language aka Hindi to foster national integration, and in an ensuing wave of patriotism was lapped up by the people. Learning Hindi at the time was considered patriotic, and within one generation Devanagari became the de facto script.

However, the Hindi that is spoken in Delhi, is peppered with a lot of urdu words(Hindustani), forcing people whose lingua fraca is Hindustani to write sanskritised/santitised Hindi will obviously fail, as it has.

REgional Languages of India are decaying, English is an evolving language, which thanks to Globalization and has become the de facto language of communication of entire mankind. I can sitting on my laptop read scientific papers, novels, news from all over the world. If I all knew Hindi I would be robbed of this.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
yes this thing sucks but what can we do??

last time i called lenovo service centre and started talking in hindi and after sometime that lady told me sir iam not comfortable with hindi can you please talk in english.
btw she was from pune.
i thought manoos were good at hindi :gangnam:

i love to speak hindi in haryanvi,rajasthani,brij and bhojpuri accent.
hindi speaking population should really watch bhojpuri channel.
they show shaktiman and shin chan dubbed in bhojpuri and it's the most awesomest sh8t :troll:
Related info, Mahuaa the Bhojpuri Channel is owned by a BJP politician iirc.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Related info, Mahuaa the Bhojpuri Channel is owned by a BJP politician iirc.
docter jackal-shaktiman hamka tumka karibo....power!!! :tongue:

who cares if it is owned by bjp or congis because i am gonna vote none of the above :tongue:

honorary supreme court zindabad

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
To speak the same language is to share the same blood, to be related
To live with strangers is the life of captivity
Many are Hindus and Turks who share the same language
Many are Turks who may be alien to one another

The language of companionship is a unique one
To reach someone through the heart is other than reaching them
through words.

Besides words, allusions and arguments
The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak

--- Jalaluddin Rumi, 13th century

jmj_overlord

what to do ? nowadays it's all "dude", "buddy", "yo man", "bro"..............imitating the west

Country flag
Indians are not just comfortable speaking English Indians have excelled most of the spelling
Bee winners in the past decade in usa were Indians and now when my wife watches indian
Channel on cable I have noticed spelling bee shows in india.

Bilal

Well like most languages english is a language that controls most of the world,and i guess it has the maximum number of speakers so effort should be made to learn it.

Free Karma

My hindi is pretty bad,I can understand...fairly decently, but speaking is still really hard,I make tons of grammatical errors,So english is the only option to easily communicate with people from outside the state. For everything else there is tamil :) When I hear pure classical tamil on TV...I'm wowed, I really wish I could speak like them, not even looking at the vocab, just the flow and the pronunciation,

I do agree that for a lot of people english is a status symbol, more so among the lower level strata, because for the middle and higher classes english is pretty much a given. I'm would also like to learn sanskrit, I kinda want to read the classics without involving translations.

I dont think stopping the spread of english will help anything in anyway. It is one of the advantages we have, even china are looking to develop their english resources. Perhaps we should develop our languages as opposed to strangling one that helps us communicate in a country as varied as ours.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Because "thet" Punjabi refers to an East Punjabi Dialect, whereas most of Delhi's Punjabis are from West Punjab. Punjabi has more than a dozen (or 2 dozen) dialects.

In any case plucked from their native place, they couldn't have possibly maintained their culture.
And even at that time, the Status Symbol was the ability to converse in/read/write Urdu.
Most of Delhi's punjabis are from West Punjab? What the hell are you smoking? That makes no sense. You're saying they all migrated from Pakistan during partition. That's hard to believe.

Bilal

As a question...
Does urdu and hindi have a lot of difference?and what exactly is the difference?if i say that a urdu speaker and hindi speaker are the same u will agree?

bennedose

As a question...
Does urdu and hindi have a lot of difference?and what exactly is the difference?if i say that a urdu speaker and hindi speaker are the same u will agree?
The differences are growing because of Pakistani and Indian reasons. Each country is tending to use Arabic (Pakistan) or Sanskrit in the language.

When I learned Hindi decades ago I was taught a lot of words that are now no longer in fashion in India. Older generation Indians would use more words common to Urdu and Hindi. Younger people have been taught more words from Sanskrit.

haphta (week) is saptah
mushkil is kasht
chehra would be mukh
dahshatgard(sp?) would be aatankwad
jang would be yuddh
khoobsoorati would be sundarta
safar is yatra
khana is bhojan

Thousands of examples are there, but Hindi speakers often know both sets of words.

One of the most popular patriotic songs in India - by Lata Mangeshkar is full of words that are Urdu - but now less used in India. The Urdu words are in italics

Ae mere watan ke logon
jara aankh mein bhar lo paani
jo shaheed huen hai unki
jara yaad karo qurbani

Even "aankh" is often replaced by Sanskrit netra

Last edited:

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Learning any language is not wrong but forcing other language is wrong .

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Hindi bhasha ka thread DFI per Banaye ,Hindi hai hum. Hindi hai hum Watan hai Hindustan Hamara

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It doesn't matter what languages you speak, as long as you can speak them well.

There are many Indians who can't speak any language correctly, whether its English or Hindi or some other Indian language.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
English, the language of the colonialists and ultimately a foreign language that can not hold a candle to a great language like sanskrit or even any indic language. How is speaking english not a sign of self hate? Why doesn't the Indian government try to prevent the spread of english?
I agree that all Indian languages and Sanskrit are way above any language of the world.

The issue is not nationalism.

It is merely bread and butter issues.

English gives employment world wide. It ensures that the dining table has food.

In India, we are still squabbling over a 'national' language.

Hindi, is not the national language, it is only the 'official' language and thanks to Bombay films has acquired the status informally as the 'link' language.

In fact, the most harrowing part is that if one is proficient in his regional language, he still cannot get a job outside his State.

Now,. what do you suggest that is to be done?

Country flag
whe the British left India the institutions they built still continued in the same tradition
passed down during their rule.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles