How best to learn Sanskrit?

argumentum

I grew up in the US and never learned any Indian language, though I can understand some Tamil, Hindi and Gujurati (my dad speaks tamil/english, while my mom speaks hindi/gujurati/english and a bit of tamil, so the only language they really had in common and raised me in was english).

So presuming a background of near-zero, where should I start?

blueblood

I grew up in the US and never learned any Indian language, though I can understand some Tamil, Hindi and Gujurati (my dad speaks tamil/english, while my mom speaks hindi/gujurati/english and a bit of tamil, so the only language they really had in common and raised me in was english).

Basic Sanskrit is very easy for Hindi speakers but I cannot comment on your situation.

Sanskrit was the best scoring subject up to 10th std in CBSE after Maths.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!

Learn first the devenagari script. so that you can read sanskrit.
Then download the NCERT books which are standard here
http://www.ncert.nic.in/
http://ncert.nic.in/NCERTS/textbook/textbook.htm
Sanskrit begins from class VI

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Some good news
30 characters :doh:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

There are scores of web sites which teach Sanskrit methodically through Hindi / English. Some of those are paid once . Google "Learn Sanskrit" and you will get many..

but before that learn Devnaagari Script....

TejasMK3

Country flag
The best way is a class, but if you dont have the time for that there are plenty of way to do so on the net.

Here is a pretty good resource site:
http://sanskritdocuments.org/learning_tools/

^^Tonnes of tools listed

Would be good to first learn the devanagiri script as most lessons use those, it's, quite easy as it's all sound based, lots of youtube vids for that.

As far as language there are quite a few words common (Native Tamil, and know little Hindi).But It will take a while though to read books etc fluently, as it's meant to pack as much info as possible in a small space and make it easy to remember. For example, for a sloka, you need to apply the rules, break down the sloka into words, and then get the meaning:
For example:

Sanskrit writers having some fun :lol:

Last edited:

argumentum

The best way is a class, but if you dont have the time for that there are plenty of way to do so on the net.

Here is a pretty good resource site:
http://sanskritdocuments.org/learning_tools/

^^Tonnes of tools listed

Would be good to first learn the devanagiri script as most lessons use those, it's, quite easy as it's all sound based, lots of youtube vids for that.

As far as language there are quite a few words common (Native Tamil, and know little Hindi).But It will take a while though to read books etc fluently, as it's meant to pack as much info as possible in a small space and make it easy to remember. For example, for a sloka, you need to apply the rules, break down the sloka into words, and then get the meaning:
For example:

Sanskrit writers having some fun :lol:
Can you better explain the second example? How can they possibly get the last paragraph from the arrangement of words above it? There seem to be too many words/concepts in the paragraph vs the arrangement?

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Can you better explain the second example? How can they possibly get the last paragraph from the arrangement of words above it? There seem to be too many words/concepts in the paragraph vs the arrangement?
The consonant(य pronounced y as in "yes") combines with the vowel a(अ pronounced ā or aaa) to produce Ya (या)।
The author uses words that begin with य and end with अ/अा (extended ā) to produce this effect where the consonant and vowel combine. The words in order of usage in the prose are given just below.

correcton

I think Learn Sanskrit Online is one of the best place to learn Sanskrit online.
The site is fun, informal and with audio resources for all beginners lessons, you should be able to make basic conversation in Sanskrit with only a few hours of learning.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The consonant(य pronounced y as in "yes") combines with the vowel a(अ pronounced ā or aaa) to produce Ya (या)।
The author uses words that begin with य and end with अ/अा (extended ā) to produce this effect where the consonant and vowel combine. The words in order of usage in the prose are given just below.
Please re- read what you wrote. There seems to be some error there !! it is y+a = ya, y+aa = yaa

Global Defence

New threads

Articles