How Beijing Is Stifling Chinese Innovation

DMF

China still are developing country, only concentrate on develop for the last 30years, at this stage, the task is to close the gap with the developed countries, to develop the country by industrailization, , this a very complicated process, there are still a lot to learn and needs a lot of efforts to copy, to improve, how much patent filed right now is not the standard to measure the achievement of China's industrialization. But you can see the fact that china is climing the ladder to produce more and more complicated machines, just compare China now and the China 10 years ago, you can see we have covered such a long way, after another 10 years, the gap will be much narrowed, and when the time comes, sure China will go its own way, and for sure will be a leader in innovation

ice berg

A society that has no respect for intellectual property and openly mocks it by duplicating / reverse engineering / stealing / spying etc, then claims intellectual property. No one sees the irony in that?
The only irony is that people forgot that Japan, South Korea and many other SE Asia countries took the exact same route a few decades ago. Now, who dares to mock them? Consider Chinas starting point 60 years ago, I will say they have done well. Back then they couldnt even reverse engineering a screwdriver.

mylegend

The only irony is that people forgot that Japan, South Korea and many other SE Asia countries took the exact same route a few decades ago. Now, who dares to mock them? Consider Chinas starting point 60 years ago, I will say they have done well. Back then they couldnt even reverse engineering a screwdriver.
China have a fair starting point at 1957, before the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, Mao's desire to become eternal leader ruin the entire nation. Mao is the one to be burned in HELL eternally for the millions of Chinese he killed. He killed 30 millions Chinese is so-called "three years of natural disaster" equivalent of 8 years of war against Japan. He deserved no credit to any prosperity of this nation, and his followers and worshipers should really spreading fears and lies to the Chinese Society.

As regarding to the post, China begins its investment, within 10 years period, returns will followed. Investment mark a good beginning, however, it is better if CCP stop cracking down and suppressed private business. Under this type of fear loomed on top of every businessmen in China, business owners will hesitate to invest any long-term investment such as R&D. .The Mao's worshiper are still actively trolling in Chinese online forum punishing all the wealthy because they must be criminals and take away their wealth. That is not a very good incentive for businessmen to invest in the future.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China have a fair starting point at 1957, before the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution, Mao's desire to become eternal leader ruin the entire nation. Mao is the one to be burned in HELL eternally for the millions of Chinese he killed. He deserved no credit.
While there is no doubt that Mao was no angel, yet it would not be fair to feel that he did not contribute to where China is today.

He has to adopt harsh measures to lick into shape a decadent kulak dominated society into a progressive one.

Power is a heady elixir and it gripped him in the later phase of his life. And that was his ruin.

It must also be given to his credit, that he held China together when China was alone in the world.

johnee

Patents are primarily intended as a money-making source i.e. making money out of an idea by claiming rights on the idea. Number of applications for Patents showcases number of people who want to make money out of an idea. The idea may or may not be original. And the criteria for Patent acceptances, I presume , is that the idea is not already patented. In short, one can patent any idea as long as it is not already patented even if it is not new or original.

I am not saying that patents must not exist. I am not saying that patent must exist. I am simply pointing out that number of patents applied or accepted does not necessarily reflect innovation(or invention). And innovators(or inventors) do not necessarily apply for patents. Following is an example:

- J C Bose's letter to Rabindranath Tagore, Nobel Laureate [16]: (In context of his 1901 lecture at the Royal Society, 17th May 1901, reproduced)
A short time before my lecture, a multi-millionaire proprietor of a very famous telegraph company telegraphed me with an urgent request to meet me. I replied that I had no time. In response he said that he is coming to meet me in person and within a short time he himself arrived with patent forms in hand. He made an earnest request to me not to divulge all valuable research results in today's lecture : "There is money in it -- let me take out patent for you. You donot know what money you are throwing away" etc. Of course, " I will only take half share in the profit -- I will finance it" etc. "¦ See, the research that I have been dedicated to doing, is above commercial profits. I am getting older - I am not getting enough time to do what I had set out to do -- I refused him.
http://web.mit.edu/varun_ag/www/bose_2006.pdf

J.C. Bose is, of course, the famous Indian innovator and discoverer. He is widely known for his discovery of stimuli in plants.

J.C. Bose was the first physicist who began an examination of inorganic matter (metals and certain rocks) in the same way as a biologist examines a muscle or a nerve. The investigations showed that, in the entire range of response phenomena (inclusive as that is of metals, plants and animals) there is no breach of continuity; that "the living response in all its diverse modifications is only a repetition of responses seen in the inorganic" and that the phenomena of response "are determined, not by the play of an unknowable and arbitrary vital force, but by the working of laws that know no change, acting equally and uniformly throughout the organic and inorganic matter.

Achievements of Sir J. C. Bose in the field of communication
(In a Nutshell)

Sir J. C. Bose invented the Mercury Coherer (together with the telephone receiver) used by Guglielmo Marconi to receive the radio signal in his first transatlantic radio communication over a distance of 2000 miles from Poldhu, UK to Newfoundland, St. Johns in December 1901. Guglielmo Marconi was celebrated worldwide for this achievement, but the fact that the receiver was invented by Bose was totally concealed. Read Bose's original paper on the receiver device.

In 1895, Sir J. C. Bose gave his first public demonstration of electromagnetic waves, using them to ring a bell remotely and to explode some gunpowder. He sent an electromagnetic wave across 75 feet passing through walls and body of the Chairman, Lieutenant Governor of Bengal. (I am in process of ascertaining how this experiment is placed in context of works by other scientists towards demonstrating remote transmission of EM waves).

Sir J. C. Bose holds the first patent worldwide to invent a solid-state diode detector to detect EM waves. The detector was built using a galena crystal. Have a look at Bose's patent and wait for an interesting article on the same soon.

Sir J. C. Bose was a pioneer in the field of microwave devices. His contribution remains distinguished in the field and was acknowledged by the likes of Lord Kelvin, Lord Rayleigh, etc. Read what people thought about J. C. Bose. Refer to [1,2] to study the work of J. C. Bose in the field of microwave.

no smoking

Country flag
Personal opinions don't authenticate an issue.

China claims it is the Middle Kingdom. It is there view, but it is not true in reality.
Of course it is someone's opinion, just as most of China's copycat cases are just personal opinions.

The point is it is quite natural to "borrow" the idea when you are repeating what other people already did successfully. Because that is the only way you can catch up.

When ipone was put into market, Sumsung and HTC followed Apple's step to provide a similar products. Isn't that a copycat? Yes. So what!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No, Iphone was originally a Chinese invention stolen by Job!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
right, sound like BS from someone. you expect people to believe china become largest manufacture hub in the world, 2nd largest economy, millions graduate, billions R&D without improving/created technology for its industry.
Take your BS else where. We are not the ones who will get overwhelmed by this kind of BS. You spend 12% of world's R&D expenditure but you only produce 1% of worth world's patents. Don't even talk about Chinese patents, they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

s002wjh

Country flag
Chinese like to brag about being the second biggest economy and being first soon. But can anyone name one Chinese innovation or one Chinese Brand??
haier, weibo, qq, there are other chinese IT/electronic brand etc. haier is sold in US, same with lenovo

s002wjh

Country flag
Take your BS else where. We are not the ones who will get overwhelmed by this kind of BS. You spend 12% of world's R&D expenditure but you only produce 1% of worth world's patents. Don't even talk about Chinese patents, they are not worth the paper they are printed on.
China's rise doesn't have to come at America's expense - CNN.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/business/02unboxed.html
Chinese Innovation – Lessons from the East | Innovation Management
China's Long March to Innovation Success - Forbes

there are tons article about it. unless you gonna said western media are bias toward china ;)

its ridiculous to think a country size of china with 3 decades of development will stuck in the same place forever. we use to say the same about jap in 60's, korean in 80's, but look at these two countries now.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles