Honour Killings: Bill in Parliament in current season

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Oracle, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Oracle

Oracle New Member

This thread is dedicated to the heinous Honour Killings, which is a blot on our Nation. Shame on people who support and carry out such wicked acts.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  3. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Honour killing: Girl, lover hanged in Haryana village

BHIWANI/CHANDIGARH: Even as rural Haryana remains in the stranglehold of the defiant caste panchayats, honour killings continue in their most horrible form: On Sunday, the family members of a girl allegedly killed her and her teenaged lover and hanged them as exhibits in their house for the village to see their "fate."

According to police, Monika (18) and her lover Rinku (19), both from Jat families, were brutally killed for honour at Nimriwali village, near Bhiwani. The father of the girl, her brother, uncle and cousins are suspected to be behind the crime and are absconding.

"We’ve registered a case of murder and wrongful confinement on the basis of a complaint by Rinku’s uncle, Krishan Kumar. Police teams have been deputed to arrest the suspects named in the case. We are waiting for the post-mortem report. However, circumstances clearly suggest it to be an honour killing," said inspector Prem Singh, the investigating officer. Singh avoided enquiries as to who had informed the police and who first came to know about the incident.

According to preliminary investigations, the injury marks on the bodies of Monika and Rinku suggest that they were tortured by their killers.

Sources said Monika was a dropout and Rinku, who belonged to the neighbouring Manherhu village, was living with his maternal uncle, a trader. The two had been going around for over two years despite objections from their families. According to sources, the two were caught by their relatives at Monika’s uncle’s house.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ed-in-Haryana-village/articleshow/6072839.cms

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

God help these people since they are still living in the medieval age!

I saw the NDTV debate, and all I can say is that I was horrified when even educated Haryanvis supported such murders! The Moderator had to put off the studio lights since no one was allowing the others to speak. Interestingly aggressive was an unshaven Khap Panchayat head.

One Jat woman said that the Khap helped her to get back her dowry, while a chap claimed that 23 murders were solved by the Khap.

Notwithstanding, the Khap must be stopped and those who violate should be in jail and those who kill in the name of honour should swing by the nearest tree so that the village realises the meaning of a Kangaroo Court!

Singh, ahmedsid and Oracle like this.
  5. Oracle

Oracle New Member

/\/\/\ Right Sir. Plus I do not see the need of Khap Panchayats in India. Laws are adequate to tackle this barbaric crime. Why serve laws in a platter to uneducated people?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Girl fearing honour killing gets protection

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday directed the police to provide protection to a girl who fears reprisals from her family for getting pregnant with her lover, who is now in jail on rape charges.

A vacation bench of Justice S N Dhingra directed the police to visit the Delhi house of the girl - whose name cannot be revealed as she is 17 - once a day and make arrangements for her to be sent to her village in Uttar Pradesh.

The girl had approached the court through the Delhi Legal Services Authority for protection as she feared death from her parents if they came to know about the pregnancy.

The boy is in jail on rape charges.

The court asked the boy to file a bail plea at the earliest, adding: 'It seems to be a case of love affair between the two young people instead of rape.'

The court had on Thursday lambasted the police for its failure to protect people from honour killings in the national capital.

'You are turning normal citizens into criminals. You can search the entire city if a dog of your boss is lost but you can't provide protection to the people. This is what you are. What to talk about humanity when you don't have shame,' the court observed.

http://sify.com/news/girl-fearing-h...ction-news-cities-kgsuE5difai.html?tag=honour

7. Oracle

Oracle New Member

You have no shame, court tells Delhi Police

New Delhi: Lambasting the Delhi Police for its failure to protect people from honour killings in the national capital, the Delhi High Court on Thursday told the force that "you are turning normal citizens into criminals".

"You can search the entire city if a dog of your boss is lost but you can't provide protection to the people. This is what you are. What to talk about humanity when you don't have shame," the court said.

A vacation bench of Justice S N Dhingra came down heavily on police for converting matters relating to girls' elopement into rape cases to send thier lovers behind bars.

"It's unfortunate that elopement cases are converted into rape cases. Your police is party to all cases of honour killings. You connive with parents and turn your face the other side. You send boys behind bars on rape charges and allow the parents to kill their daughter," the court said.

The court also took exception to the fact that boys are falsely booked under various cases and sent to jail for marrying their lovers and said: "You are turning normal citizens into criminals."

The court was hearing a case related to a pregnant girl who has been deserted by her parents and is living in pathetic conditions, as the youth she wants to marry is in jail.

The girl had approached the court through the Delhi Legal Services Authority for protection as she is afraid of being killed by her parents if they came to know about the pregnancy.

The court directed police to present the youth before it on Friday to decide the fate of the lovers and said: "I consider that it is a case of dishonest investigation by police."

http://sify.com/news/you-have-no-sh...police-news-delhi-kgru6ejdaag.html?tag=honour

8. Oracle

Oracle New Member

This news is a week back, so including it.

Honour killing takes place in Delhi

New Delhi: The national capital witnessed a brutal case of honour killing on Monday.

A 19-year-old girl and her 21-year old lover were tortured for hours by the girl’s family and were then later killed by electrocution and flogging with steel rods in the wee hours of Monday.

Neither the intervention by neighbours nor pleas for mercy by the girl, which could be heard by residents of Swaroop Nagar in northwest Delhi, could prevent the gory murders.

A neighbour said that the girl’s family accosted the duo at C-block, Swaroop Nagar. They heard screams coming from the girl's uncle’s house till 3am. She kept pleading for the boy’s life but her parents and relatives did not relent.

Police said the family had suspected that the victim, Asha Saini, was planning to elope with her lover, Yogesh, who was from another caste and did not have the same ‘status’ as the Sainis, who are wealthy grain merchants.

Police arrive in the morning to find the couple dead in the house and the family missing.

Neighbours claim they informed the area beat constable about the incident but he didn’t bother to act, the police maintained that they were called only in the morning, by when the couple was dead and the family had escaped. The Sainis are among the wealthiest families in the locality.

According to DCP (northwest) N S Bundela, the girl’s father, Sooraj Saini, and her uncle, Omprakash, have been traced.

"We might arrest them by midnight. Asha's mother Maya, too, will be arrested soon. Omprakash’s neighbours called the PCR only at 7.30am. We found the house locked from outside. We broke through the locks and recovered the two bodies. A postmortem will be conducted to ascertain the exact nature of injuries," said Bundela.

Asha was probably electrocuted after being flogged by her parents, uncle and aunt, the police said.

http://sify.com/news/honour-killing-takes-place-in-delhi-news-national-kgpl5Xhfjgg.html

9. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

No politician would take any action against Khaps. As we saw in the program, they seem to be very popular in Haryana, even among the educated people. That's why people like Naveen Jindal are defending Khaps.

10. Oracle

Oracle New Member

No regrets, says accused in honour killing case

New Delhi: A day after two young lovers were tortured to death to protect the family’s ‘honour’ in Delhi, the alleged main perpetrator of the crime was remorseless and defiant.

“I have no regrets... I would punish them all over again if given another chance,” said Omprakash Saini, uncle of the deceased girl.

Omprakash and the girl’s father were arrested on Tuesday.

Omprakash, who was produced before mediapersons at Ashok Vihar police station, revealed his niece’s lover, Yogesh Kumar, 21, was a Dalit from the Jatav caste.

He claimed the Saini family had gone through ‘‘difficult times’’ due to the ‘‘illicit’’ relationship. As for his niece Asha, he said it was unethical for a ‘‘woman to possess love for any other man after she had been engaged to a Sonipat boy’’.

Omprakash claimed he was sleeping on the ground floor while his niece and wife were asleep on the roof.

“Around midnight, Asha insisted that her aunt to go to the downstairs. As she gave no apparent reason, my wife came down and woke me up. I went out to find that boy outside my house. Mera dimaag ghoom gaya (I lost my mind). No gentleman comes to meet a friend at midnight...I asked Asha’s parents to come over,” he said.

After the couple was caught by the girl’s uncle, they were tortured.

“During interrogation, the accused said they flogged the couple and stuffed cloth in their mouths to muffle their cries. They were, in all probability, tied up before electric shocks were passed through their hands and feet. The actual cause of death will be ascertained after we receive the post-mortem report,” said DCP (northwest) N S Bundela.

Asha, 19, and Yogesh, 21, were beaten with steel rods before being electrocuted.

Besides Omprakash and Suresh Kumar Saini, Asha’s father, a manhunt has been launched for the girl’s mother Maya, Omprakash’s wife and son Sanjeev, all of whom have gone into hiding.

Omprakash claimed societal norms dictated his actions.

“Yogesh, our next door neighbour at Gokalpuri, had no meaningful employment and he belonged to a low caste. His friendship with my niece was found out two months ago. We met his sister and it was settled that he would discontinue the relationship. We decided to marry off Asha in Sonipat to save our family honour," said the Sadar Bazar-based trader.

"However, my niece did not approve of our decision. My younger brother (Asha’s father) was apprehensive that if she continued to live in Gokalpuri, it would be difficult for her to control her emotions. Fifteen days ago, she came to stay with us,’’ he added.

http://sify.com/news/no-regrets-says-accused-in-honour-killing-case-news-national-kgqrnyghejb.html

11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

You are right. The only way I see it is the media to highlight this issue on National T.V. relentlessly, until the PM takes notice. We do have some honest guys in the cabinet and therefore can hope for a change.

12. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Delhi honour killing: What happened that night

In the dingy lanes of a rural suburb, where a family allegedly murdered its own daughter and her boyfriend in the name of 'honour killing', a cold silence greets outsiders. Rediff.com's Anisha Ralhan travels to the 'other' Delhi, to probe some unanswered questions about the cold-blooded and remorseless murder that has shaken the nation.

Two dramatically different versions of Delhi co-exist in the heart of the city. Right now, the first one is being spruced up like a soon-to-be bride, under the facade of modernisation for the upcoming Commonwealth Games.

And voila! Meet her diabolic twin that perpetrated the brutal murder of an innocent couple in love under the infernal shadow of honour killing.

Here, in the mosquito infested lanes of Swarup Nagar in north-east Delhi, Asha Saini, 19, and her boyfriend Yogesh, 20, met a gory end allegedly at the hands of her family. On Sunday night, the girl's family is said to have beaten up the couple and electrocuted them at her uncle Omprakash's flat in the sparsely populated colony.

The girl's family had disapproved of Asha's relationship with Yogesh, a driver, and had asked the boy to back off.

According to Omprakash's next-door neighbour and eye-witness Umesh, Yogesh had been summoned to the Swarup Nagar flat, where the girl had been detained by her uncle and aunt since the last 20 days.

A few minutes later, says Umesh, the girl's aunt was heard screaming in the balcony about Yogesh's arrival. An infuriated Omprakash then attacked the boy with a stick, says Umesh.

The neighbours tried to intervene but were curtly asked to mind their own business. Asha's cousin, Sanjeev, dispersed the curious onlookers.

The girl's parents also reached the flat soon and the enraged family allegedly tortured the couple for hours.

"From 2 am onwards I could hear the boy wailing. The girl was pleading for his life. I could sense something was fishy but couldn't communicate with anyone as I had no access to a telephone at that hour," said Umesh.

At approximately 4 am, Umesh saw the girl's family scurrying out of the house, but the couple was missing.

He told rediff.com that had he not witnessed the whole drama in his adjacent verandah, the murder would never have been accounted for.

"It seemed the family intended to dispose of the two dead bodies in the Maruti car the boy had arrived in. They brought the car very close to the gate. But sensing my presence, they took the car back to its original spot and rode away on three motorbikes," he says.

The three other neighbouring families had left before sunrise, said Kalpana, another neighbour, possibly due to Sanjeev's threats and a fear of police investigation.

The police found the dead bodies with multiple bruises and burns at 8 am on Monday. They nabbed the girl's uncle and her father Suresh Kumar Saini, who admitted to the barbaric crime.

According to the police, the girl's family had taken the extreme step as the boy hailed from a lower caste.

"This part of Delhi is deeply enmeshed in rural culture -- of judging a person by his caste. In this case, Asha's family was wealthier than Yogesh's and it would have been a matter of shame for them to have consented to a marriage between unequal partners," explained a senior officer at the district police station.

Asha was reportedly engaged to a man from Sonepat who had been chosen by her family.

There are many questions that remain unanswered about the official version of the murder.

Firstly, was the boy summoned by the family to Omprakash's house, indicating a preplanned murder, or did he come there to meet his girlfriend and was caught by the family?

The alleged murderers -- Asha's father Suresh Kumar Saini and uncle Omprakash -- say they attacked the couple in a fit of rage after finding them in a compromising position on the terrace.

Saini reportedly told the police that it was natural for a father to react so vehemently after seeing his daughter thus.

But Yogesh's sister Renu claims, "It was a planned conspiracy to kill my brother. I saw the girl's mother waiting for my brother outside our Gokulpur apartment. Before that, I heard Asha pestering him to meet her."

According to ey-ewitnesses, the couple spent barely two minutes together before they were attacked with sticks and metal rods. They believe that the girl's uncle might have convinced Asha to call Yogesh over.

What was the role of Asha's mother and her aunt in this brutal episode?

The girl's relatives say the mother and another female relative were asked to leave the crime spot by the men, as they were sobbing at Asha's plight.

"They are completely innocent as they had been sent away before the murders happened. Which mother can possibly bear the pain of her only daughter, leave alone murder," they claimed.

But Umesh, an eye-witness, is confident about having spotted the entire family leaving the house in the wee hours of Monday, without an iota of remorse on their faces.

The news of this honour killing may have sent tremors across the country but such cases are not entirely alien to one of the most developed cities in Asia.

In May, a Delhi girl was smothered to death in her Jharkhand house for her relationship with a journalist from a lower caste.

According to a senior police officer, "Cases of elopement and couples being harassed by parents are reported on a daily basis. Honour killing seems to have become a trend among the rural population of the city."

The absence of a separate law to punish the perpetrators is cited as the prime factor for the proliferation of honour killings.

"The Indian Penal Code has no separate law for the exterminators of their own kin. Our government treats the crime as an ordinary murder and imposes life imprisonment or the death penalty only in the rarest of rare cases," say the police.

Enforcing strict separate laws for honour killings, empowering women to assert their rights to choose a bridegroom, and educating the rural population about the redundancy of thte caste system could perhaps curb the rising trend, they say.

http://news.rediff.com/slide-show/2...i-honour-killing-what-happened-that-night.htm

13. Oracle

Oracle New Member

SC notice to Centre, states on honour killing

The Supreme Court on Monday issued notices to the Centre and some states on the growing cult of honour killings being reported across the country.

A bench of Justices R M Lodha and A K Patnaik sought response from the respective governments on the petition filed by NGO 'Shakti Vahini' expressing grave concern over the recent spurt of such killings carried out at the instance of khap panchayats.

The NGO complained that though there was a spurt in such killings in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Haryana, neither the Centre nor the state governments were taking steps to curb the menace due to "vote-bank politics."

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/21/sc-notice-to-centre-states-on-honour-killing.htm

14. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Blog: No honour, only killings
    Alok Tiwari, 21 June 2010, 11:20 AM IST

Like the scourges of dowry and female foeticide a generation ago, honour killings seem to be spreading to newer areas. They appear to be leaving a countrywide footprint, as if angry conscience keepers of Indian families have suddenly discovered a new way of keeping things under the lid. Not very long ago, we thought such barbarism belonged to remote tribal reaches of Pakistan. We now know it is very much at home in the Indian middle class.

Many of us are plainly baffled by the phenomenon. This is so much at odds with the new India that we hope and dream about. At one end of the social spectrum, we have not just intercaste or intercommunity but also inter-religion marriages being accepted as normal. At the other end we have parents and relatives poisoning, hacking, and burning alive youngsters because they married on their own, in the name of family honour.

But is it actually for the sake of family honour? I doubt. Is family honour compromised only when a youngster marries outside the caste? There are indeed a number of things held dear by traditional Indian family that individuals go against. For example, most of us swear by honesty. But no one has ever heard of a parent setting his son on fire because he turned out to be a corrupt government servant. Indeed, families have rallied to protect their own even when a member has been publicly exposed, arrested, and charged for demanding and accepting bribes. In a country having scams galore from national to local level, isn’t it amazing that there has been no killing to wipe away the blot of corruption?

Similarly, our obsession with sexual abstinence borders on prudery. Yet, there is no accompanying outrage when we find even minor girls being subjected to sexual abuse within families. There have been numerous reports of fathers setting themselves upon their daughters. The best even outraged mothers have done faced with this monstrosity is to report the culprit to the police.

Finally, how khap panchayats have ruled against politicians from community who did not keep their word? Isn’t the community honour compromised when a leader, after having asked for votes in the name of caste, turns his back on it. What when such a politicians defects to another party and otherwise behaves in a manner that leaves his voters wringing their hands in frustration. One doesn’t remember a panchayat turning family of such a person out of the village or sending murderous mobs to lynch him.

The fact is, what we are seeing are not honour killings at all. To even call them that is to lend them a measure of respectability. It implies such despicable behaviour by someone as to smear the family name irretrievably. These are murders to defend an old order that has nothing but contempt for individual freedom.

The sentiment that makes a parent poison her daughter is same as one that makes a principal thrash a student - the rage at seeing someone they believe should be in their control act independently. We support our children well into their adulthood. All we want in return is their freedom. It enrages us to see them take decisions on their own, especially decisions that we do not approve of. These killings are not going away until we give up our control mania and bring in more individual liberties in our homes.

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bugs-eye-view/entry/no-honour-only-killings

15. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

honour killings are nothing but a reflection of the prevalent caste system and the discrimination against the woman with in the society and its not just a haryana problem but certainly very much a part of the culture of both rural and urban north india and i guess other parts of india as well, where sadly people have learnt to live and accept it as a way of life till the time the same social ill comes to haunt them, till then the very same people justify the ills committed in the name of honour of the family name, their village, their caste and god knows what and what not.

then you have politicians and social groups who demand census be done on the basis of caste, which just makes the dividing line just a little more finner, and we keep finding newer ways to further create divisions, lets thank nitish kumar to have given india a new grouping called the "most backward class" a concept which has been now taken over by other states as well as if the present obc catagory was not enough.

we have many more shames in the name of beholding the honour of a family and one just has to look at the plight of the girl child and the ever deteriorating skewed sex ratio all across india.

khap is just a manifestation of the way our society thinks!

Oracle likes this.
  16. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Twist in Delhi honour killing case, one more body found

NEW DELHI: The mysterious murder case of an inter-caste couple in the capital took a new turn on Tuesday with police finding the body of one more person in a car belonging to a relative of the victims.

Police found the body in a car belonging to a relative of Kuldeep, who along with his wife Monica was allegedly murdered on Sunday in a suspected case of honour killing.

The car was found in H-Block in Ashok Vihar Phase-I in northwest Delhi this morning. Police have sealed the area and are trying to get the body out from the car which is locked from inside. They are yet to disclose whether the body was that of a man or a woman.

"We are yet to identify the body," a police officer said.

Mudit Bhatia, a resident of the locality, spotted the car from which blood was trickling down and informed police.

Police said the car belonged to one Rahul, who is the cousin of Kuldeep. The car was missing since the alleged murder of Kuldeep and Monica.

Rahul is said to be the person, who had helped Kuldeep and Monica in getting married four years ago. He was then allegedly beaten up mercilessly by the brothers of Monica for helping the couple getting married.

Monica's brothers Ankit and cousin Mandeep, who are suspected to have murdered her and Kuldeep, are absconding. Police said efforts are being made to nab them.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-one-more-body-found/articleshow/6077943.cms

17. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

why is honour killing are occurring more nowadays. do n`t get me wrong i mean now days more of honour killing are occurring in jats and in some case of no-jats as well. Was n`t such love marriages occurring in jats previously . is there some seriously playing mischief within jats. in sort i want to ask why there is spurt in honour killing in jats?

18. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

it was always happening and jats because it is very very prominent in their culture, its just that our media has woken up to it only today. delhi has a huge jat population and what ever crime they do comes to limelight instantly.

19. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Honour killing: Delhi Police hunts for trio

Delhi Police on Wednesday released photographs of the three alleged accused in the suspected honour killing case of an inter-caste couple and their relative and decided to announce cash rewards for anyone providing information about the trio.

DCP (North West Delhi) N S Bundela said cash rewards will be given to anyone providing information about Mandeep (23), Ankit (22) and Nakul alias Nikku (21) -- who allegedly murdered Monica along with her husband Kuldeep on Sunday for marrying in another caste.

However, the amount for the cash rewards has not been fixed, he said.

The trio is also allegedly involved in the killing of 22-year-old Shobha, a cousin of Monica. Police had on Tuesday recovered the body of Shobha, who too had eloped with a man belonging to a different caste.

All the three are suspected victims of honour killing. Police feel that the perpetrators of the crime could have been enraged over the inter-caste marriages in the family, which apparently started with Monica, 24, who was followed by her cousin sister Shobha.

Ankit is brother of Monica while Mandeep is her cousin. Shobha is Mandeep's sister. Mandeep and Ankit are absconding and police suspect the involvement of both in Shobha's murder.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/23/honour-killing-delhi-police-hunts-for-trio.htm

20. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Samaj ke liye yeh murder zaroori tha, says girl's uncle

NEW DELHI: The serial honour killings in northwest Delhi's Ashok Vihar may have left residents of the capital shocked and outraged but members of the Gujjar community in Wazirpur village are applauding the killers.

Dharmaveer Nagar, 45, paternal uncle of Shubha, who was among the three people shot dead on Sunday, showed little sign of grief while waiting to complete the formalities for the handing over of his niece's body. "Apne aap me yeh khoon galat ho sakta hai, par samaj ke liye yeh hatya zaroori thi...is kaam se in larkon ne sahi me ek achcha udaharan pesh kiya hain (You may consider killing of an individual wrong, but for society, it was necessary. These youngsters have set a good example)," he said outside the office of DCP, northwest, on Wednesday.

The youngest among four sisters of accused Mandeep Nagar, Shubha had fled from her home in early May this year with her boyfriend, Raja, which is seen to have paved the way for her elder sister, Khushboo, to elope later that month and marry her Kashmiri lover. Shubha ended up with a bullet in her head and the prime suspect in her murder is her brother, Mandeep.

Even as the police detained at least 22 villagers for questioning on Wednesday, the Gujjars of Wazirpur village closed ranks. They made the right noises by speaking against the loss of lives but said in the same breath how the Monica-Kuldeep marriage (both were shot) had motivated the youth against people who have dared to "breach the traditions of the village".

"The women in our village are treated as sisters. How can there ever be a marriage between a man and his sister! If my daughter follows in Monica's footsteps tomorrow, I will kill her. I will not let her defy tradition," said Sanjay Singh Khari, another uncle of the deceased.

The community youths do not differ with their elders. Nitin, a cousin of Mandeep, said he would prefer to have the British back. "The foreigners never tried to play with our traditions. This government has scant regard for our indigenous culture," he said.

The police have, meanwhile, announced a reward of Rs 50,000 each for anyone who can provide information on the three accused -- Ankit Gujjar, Mandeep Nagar and Nakul Khari. "We have released their sketches. We want the public to report their movements to the SHO of Ashok Vihar police station," said N S Bundela, DCP (northwest).

Speaking to Times City, Karnal Singh, joint commissioner (Northern Range), said that at least six teams were combing three different states to nab the accused. Sources claim that after Rohtak, they had traced the accused's movement to Ghaziabad. They claim that the accused had visited the home of one of their relatives in Pilkhua and were headed for Hardwar. Senior officers denied reports that one of the accused had been nabbed.

The police say the initial postmortem report of the three victims -- Kuldeep, Monica and Shubha -- show that there was a difference of half-an-hour between each murder that took place on Sunday night. The police have revealed that all the bullets were of the same make. "Prima facie, it seems a sophisticated weapon was used for the crime. However, we will wait for the forensic report before drawing any conclusion," said an officer. Sources confirmed that the pistol was procured locally. The police are said to have detained a man who has cases against him at Kavi Nagar in Ghaziabad for supplying such weapons.

DCP Bundela said they were checking the local contacts of the accused in the Wazirpur area. Times City found a police team visiting a number of houses in the area. "It is likely that a few locals may have known about their plan. We are taking no chances," said an officer.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-tha-says-girls-uncle/articleshow/6084080.cms

21. Pintu

Pintu New Member

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...thers-friend-arrested/articleshow/6088165.cms

Honour killings: 'Killer brothers', friend arrested
    Dwaipayan Ghosh, TNN, Jun 25, 2010, 01.23am IST

GHAZIABAD/NEW DELHI: A misplaced sense of humiliation and anger triggered the 45-minute bloodbath in Ashok Vihar on June 20 which claimed three lives. The three accused in the triple murder case -- Ankit Gujjar Chaudhry, Mandeep Nagar and Nakul Khari -- were arrested by Ghaziabad police on Thursday on their way to Pilkhua (Ghaziabad) from Mussoorie.

Ankit, Monica's brother, told reporters they were being "framed" by Delhi Police and were simply returning from a short trip to Uttarakhand as wild allegations were being made about them. However, Ghaziabad police claimed they had interrogated the three to get details of the plot.

But the manner in which they were suddenly arrested and Mandeep Nagar's alleged claim that his sister, Khusboo's husband was involved in "immoral" activities and that his other sister, Shubha, was keen on modelling assignments has raised even more questions. Could these be just red herrings? Even the Ghaziabad police described its probe as "raw", saying it was up to Delhi Police to complete the investigations.

The murder weapon -- which Delhi Police has described as "sophisticated" but has apparently been claimed by the three to have been of local make -- has not been found.

The Ghaziabad police said the three men were nabbed around 4pm after they had received a tip-off that the accused might use NH-24 to return to Ghaziabad. "We were told they were in an white i10 car and their mobile location was consistently located between Dehradun and Ghaziabad.Accordingly, the station officer of Garh had put up check-posts in the area. We nabbed the accused at one of these check-posts and seized the car," said ADG (law and order) Brijlal.

SSP (Ghaziabad) Raghuvir Lal said the triple murders were a result of careful planning and execution. "It dates back to May 25 this year. According to Mandeep, his sisters left home that day with one Ravi Kumar, a resident of Uttam Nagar in west Delhi. The younger sister, Shubha, returned three days later but the elder sister, Khushboo, married Ravi two days later and moved to Haryana," said Lal.

Mandeep allegedly told cops that when he began inquiring about Ravi, a Jat, he became aware of his involvement in "immoral" activities. Lal said Mandeep felt his sisters were being foolish in believing him. The police claimed that Mandeep said even after his sister, Shubha, returned home, she insisted on pursuing a modelling career and claimed that she had travelled to Chandigarh and Mumbai on modelling assignments along with her boyfriend, Raja. "This was the last straw for him and he asked Ankit to help him eliminate his sister. Nakul, their common friend, agreed to help by procuring two vehicles," claimed SSP Lal.

Ankit, however, was smarting under prolonged humiliation, he is claimed to have said. "He claimed he was facing regular humiliation because of his sister, Monica's marriage to a person from a different caste. Ankit said that even on unlikely occasions, like a colony cricket match, his friends would refrain from addressing him by his surname as they felt he was no longer a member of the Gujjar community," said Brij Lal.

Delhi Police is, however, taking these claims with a pinch of salt. "Portraying Khushboo's husband and Shubha's boyfriend this way suits their purpose. This does not match our line of investigations. We will be checking all their claims," said an officer who is investigating the case. They said they would take the accused into custody from the Ghaziabad police by Thursday night. "We can comment only after interrogating them separately," said the officer.