HIT reveals new information on Al Khalid-I MBT

Zarvan

Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, told IHS Jane's that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.
@Ray @Blackwater

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
What happened to the deal with Turkey for Altay MBT?

Sea Eagle

@shiphone
What's the status of MBT-3000 ?

Is the tank ready or are they using the same technology as used in the Light Tank based on MBT-3000 ?

Blackwater

Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, told IHS Jane's that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.
@Ray @Blackwater
congrats to pakistan who managed to develop tank (off course with chini help) where we failed to develop arjun

ninja85

@Ray @Blackwater
it's not "co-developing" you are just painting chinese cheap plastic tanks in pakibeggar colour.

shiphone

Country flag
@shiphone

Is the tank ready or are they using the same technology as used in the Light Tank based on MBT-3000 ?
in my knowledge and understanding, China and Pakistan began to improve the MBT2000/Al Khalid respectively..

........................................................................... ┏ VT1-->VT1A-->VT4(also known as MBT3000)
Type90-->Type90 II --> Type90 IIM─>MBT2000─┫
............................................................................â”— Al Khalid-->Al Khalid-1(?)-->Al Khalid-2(?)

1.MBT2000 is a 50:50 joint venture project, Pakistan and China share the R&D cost , the research output, the manufacture tech and profit equally.
2.AL Khalid is a customized MBT2000 for Pakistan's request and standard
3.VT-1 is a China's export project based on MBT2000 which could be customized as the specific requirements of other international customers(ex. chose the Ukrain Power pack or Chinese corresponding products, pick the Fire control and other electronic system on the international market)
4.VT-1A is an improved VT-1, the major improvement was focused on the Auto-Loader and armour
5.MBT3000,which was called as VT4, is a deep evolution of MBT2000. we saw comprehensive improvement in power(1300 HP china diesel), Auto-transmission, armour and Fire control.
-------------------------
China used to promote the MBT2000 on the international market. at the same time, Pakistan was selling the Al Khalid in its friendly nations. in theory, China and Pakistan would share the profit for any succesful MBT2000/Al Khalid deal...but it seems that both nation didn't get the big prize...

With time, China has to improve his products to adapt to market variations , then VT1 came with flexible customization scheme. and years later, the improved VT1A appeared...and we thought VT1/1A are no longer related to MBT2000 project but a China's Export product...and then we saw an interesting case.China(VT1A) and Pakistan(Al Khalid ) were both bidding for the Burmese MBT bid ,finally VT1A won the contract, so Pakistan came to Beijing to discuss a solution to avoid such 'internecine' situation...

VT4(MBT3000) is a 'pure' Chinese Export Tank project and became the Flagship product in Export Tank catalog. it has pass the certification tests and marketed already. now in this stock product catalog,we have:

VT4 ---High end export MBT
VT1A--Quasi high end
VT2---Middle end--- (developed form Type85AP project and close to ZTZ96A tank in PLA service)
VT3---Low end----all kinds of ZTZ59 deeply improvement scheme.

-------------------------------------
china insists in keeping two respective development trees to isolate the PLA-use MBT and Export MBT although both development trees would have some intersect in different generations...basicly we saw MBT3000(VT4) should share some knowledge, tech with the latest ZTZ99A MBT in the ARMY.

the new light tank project is something else...actually it hasn't got the formal codename and is playing the role as the Tech-Demo platform for some new tech which would be used on Next Gen tank...basicly I won't relate the New Light tank too much with MBT3000. and we thought the New Light tank might apply more tech from the ZTZ99A project...

PS...this is official ZTZ99A , other codename: 99G,99A1,99A2 are made up by fans only

the VT4(MBT3000) model

---------------------------------
I don't have much info and study about Pakistan's post-Al Khalid MBT development...so the following is my understanding which might be not as close to the truth as my above description of China's Export MBT projects.

I thought Pakistan was going on her own further development project of Al Khalid MBT with own effort.at least I collect some pix about the "Al Khalid-1" prototypes years ago.

if this is so called " Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) " mentioned in the first post...I have to say 'media is always a problem" and not worth trust.

but my info about Pakistan is limited and things is always changing...so we would have to wait until December to get to know how the Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) relates to MBT3000..

Sea Eagle

I think Pakistan doesn't have a technological base to do much improvement on Al-Khalid on their own..
I am sure some Chinese supervisors are helping the guys at HIT

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@shiphone

MBT - 3000 means it will be ready by 2300 AD ... Is not it ??

Zarvan

I think Pakistan doesn't have a technological base to do much improvement on Al-Khalid on their own..
I am sure some Chinese supervisors are helping the guys at HIT
Mr we have far better experts than you guys and we are quite equipped in developing these things now

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Mr we have far better experts than you guys and we are quite equipped in developing these things now
Yes yes, u r having the great copycats on your side and anything is possible. But the reliability is of grave importance. Chinese equipment are not reliable except only for them. So, go directly to Russia or other Soviet countries to get better equipment or try to have a JV with the Americans.....

Sea Eagle

No you are not...
How about some research papers from HIT to prove your point ?

niku456

True Paik of Ahom Kingdom
it's not "co-developing" you are just painting chinese cheap plastic tanks in pakibeggar colour.
these tanks are just licence build from china, after that they had given it their make in porki tag. Apart from green paint, pakis has nothing to do with it.

niku456

True Paik of Ahom Kingdom
for pakis JV and licence build is same.

Zarvan

No you are not...
How about some research papers from HIT to prove your point ?
HIT develops equipment they are not into research paper thing. They these days quietly develop things. AL KHALID 2 is in production and will be revealed soon and work on AL KHALID III is almost completed

rohit.gr77

HIT develops equipment they are not into research paper thing. They these days quietly develop things. AL KHALID 2 is in production and will be revealed soon and work on AL KHALID III is almost completed
Typical shit talk from Pakis. Publishing a research paper only proves the amount of Research an organisation or institution can undertake on its own. Saying that they are not into research paper thing shows your intellectual mindset. And yes you'll will develop a lot of things quietly(Suicide bomber vests, 5th generation IEDs, 15 days crash course to become Mujahids, etc. etc.).

Blackwater

saalo railway engine hi produce kar lo:):):):)

Zarvan

Typical shit talk from Pakis. Publishing a research paper only proves the amount of Research an organisation or institution can undertake on its own. Saying that they are not into research paper thing shows your intellectual mindset. And yes you'll will develop a lot of things quietly(Suicide bomber vests, 5th generation IEDs, 15 days crash course to become Mujahids, etc. etc.).
Well they produce things unlike your jokers. We quietly started production of AK 2 and work on AK 3 about to complete we are quietly acquiring lot more Artillery and MRLs and APC. We are also testing new Guns to replace our G3 which we used for more than 40 years now. We are also pursuing our next generation gear for our future soldiers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles