History of the 1965 agitation of Tamil Nadu

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by k murali, Jan 26, 2016.

1. k murali

k murali Regular Member

The new generation do not know the history of the great Tamil Nadu Students agitation of 1965 in which military and police shot and ku=ikllked 63 people and seven men committed suicide by pouriing petrol on body and died in flames.

here is the history. a must read for anyone below 50 years of age

http://www.tamiltribune.com/03/0101-anti-hindi-agitation-history.html

3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

@k murali, given that many members have raised concerns about this source, would you be able to offer another source in addition to this, something that members might find difficult to object to?

4. k murali

k murali Regular Member

Just because some peoplew do not like the "separatist" leaning of Tamil Tribune, it does not mean it publishes lies.

All one has to do is to show one lie there. In fact Tamil Tribune published somewhere (I dont have the link) that (1) it would immediately correct any false information if it is brought to its attention, (2) If anyone point to 2 purposive lying in two places, they will shut the site for two year. Even Times of India does not give such a guarantee.

If anyone find a lie there, let him post it here and expose Tamil Tribune as unreliable. Just saying it is unreliable is just empty talk,

As for the article I quoted above, agitation of 1938 and 1965 are well documented in books and some articles. I have read the book DMK History (in Tamil) it spells out some of the events listed in Tamil Tribune.

Thank you for your post. It gave me an opportunity to "defend" Tamil Tribune. I am reaing it for over 10 years. I am yet to find a lie there. I think you are a fair minded person and want to know the truth.

rockey 71 likes this.
  5. Agnostic_Indian

Agnostic_Indian Regular Member

Yes there was a strong anti hindi sentiments in tamilnadu, it still exists but not as much as it used to be.But any way it's a non issue and it will remain to be a non issue unless someone tries to push hindi down the throats of southern people.

6. k murali

k murali Regular Member

Pushinng down the throat does not mean pointing a gun at your head and asking ypou to recite Hindi poems.

Here are some examples of pushing down the throat.

Many government bank forms are in Hindi and English? Where is the state lamguage?

All computerized rail tickets arre in english and Hindi in Tamilnadu. Where is Tamil?

Rail reservation lists are posted in Hindi and English only? Where iss atate language?

These are just a few examples.
    I consider all these as pushing Hindi into non-Hindi throats.

nirranj and rockey 71 like this.
  7. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

Same is the case in lot of other states. What is the problem? Don't you respect your national language?

sasum likes this.
  8. Nuvneet Kundu

Nuvneet Kundu Senior Member Senior Member

Why don't you ask your Amma all those questions? She's a champion of Tamil rights is she not? Why spewing venom against ordinary Hindi people.

9. Agnostic_Indian

Agnostic_Indian Regular Member

I think English and local language should be the norm.let hindi be there where it's the local language. Central govt org like railway shall use hindi and English for convince. Let people learn either one of the official languages of india. States also should promote using English also in boards of bus and other such places so that people from other states do not have to ask around.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  10. Bornubus

Bornubus Senior Member Senior Member

Live with it.

Hindi is not my MT but but we've all learn it.Bank forms are mostly in Eng what do you think Govt should also publish in 100s of languages ?

You sounds like a periyar fan a staunch Jinnah and Pak supporter ?

sasum, topgear, Vishwarupa and 2 others like this.
  11. k murali

k murali Regular Member

Publish bank forms in English and state language. I think stte languages are about 20. If Bangladesh can publish in Bengali why not in West Bengal/

If Myanmar can publish in Burmese, why not Telugu in Andhra and Telengana. These state population is more than Burma.

12. Kshatriya87

There are states which have more than one languages spoken there. So you want the government to print forms in all those languages? If the government does that, what happens in other states? A few people from Bengal will say why only English and Bengali? I speak tullu. Print that also.

What about Karnataka? Which language do you want them to print forms in? English + Kannda / Tullu / Marathi / Hindi / Malayalam?

parijataka and Bornubus like this.
  13. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

I am sure there are banks which publish in local language. I don't know about Tamil Nadu, but in Maharashtra and Karnataka, I have seen local languages in bank. I had to specifically ask for an English form.

Don't exaggerate non-issues.

parijataka likes this.
  14. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

This is useless separatist topic to incite passions among Tamil speaking people.

These are the favorites topics of Periyar who was well know British Slave & wanted Britishers to rule India for few more decades, He was a great divider of Hindus & was enjoying pitting one Hindu against another Hindu for political & power gains.

he was not very clear in his ideas and confused in his social philosophy. So, his appeal was more emotional than cerebral, his movement was more sectarian than secular and the path he chose to carry forward his movement was more adversarial than accomadative.

parijataka and Bornubus like this.
  15. Bornubus

And since these are public sector Banks meaning a guy/girl from Punjab would've to Work in Tamil Nadu according to service rules of recruitment,so one must learn tamil as Eng is not enough for Bank clerk/PO.

He would still need English to enter the Data in computer and also for maintaining records which is again in English.The same applies for Railway, do you want the entire sofware to be written in 20 languages ?

I would've call this a discrimination against Tamil if you've to write govt exams in Hindi moreover Tamil is a must for state govt job and under state public services commission.You peoole already dominate ISRO and DRDO.

Tell me which National prestigious exam require you to learn Hindi - Civil services,SSC,IIT, Railways on any PSUs ?

parijataka and Kshatriya87 like this.
  16. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I am sure railway tickets can be printed in Tamil given the size of the consumers. If private firms can do it, so could the govt.

Although, I would be surprised it that is not the case already. Railway should be working in different languages. @Mad Indian -- can you confirm that railway does not give out tickets in Tamil if you buy from local train station.

17. Kshatriya87

Tamil tickets are fine locally in the state. But for inter-state railways, they won't work. How will the TC check the tickets outside TN if he doesn't know the language?

18. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

There will be english + local language. Usually, railway works with three languages if you go by the station names they put on the platforms.

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  19. Kshatriya87

Nice. I also think that at least the numbers would be in English. Generally they are. Then it doesn't matter what language the tickets are printed in. As long as TC can understand the numbers.

20. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

I think so yes. I dont think the railways print tickets in Tamil. This needs to change, It should have tamil printed in it and that is non negotiable and what the railways wants to add on top of it is optional.

21. Bornubus

@k murali could also be a false flagger Islamist Asad 71 who opened the same thread on anti India Jihadi forum.

@k murali li you should write in Tamil when engaging with Indian (tamil) members on DFI.

Pisslamist Asad 71 is known as @rocky 71 on DFI.

@Sakal Gharelu Ustad
    @pmaitra