History Lessons from Mr Tharoor

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Jul 14, 2013.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Rahul Pandita, himself a displaced Kashmiri Pandit, nails Shahi Tharoor's lies on Kashmir.

History Lessons from Mr Tharoor
    Another absurd retelling of the story of the Kashmiri Pandit exodus from the Valley
    Rahul Pandita

[​IMG]

Shashi Tharoor has an old connection with Kashmir. His first wife, Tilotamma Mukherji, is half-Kashmiri. His current wife, Sunanda, is also from Kashmir. In the past, Tharoor has mentioned in various forums the exile of Kashmiri Pandits, who were in a minority in Kashmir, and were driven into exile in 1990 in the aftermath of Islamist extremism. But recently the newly made Minister of State, Human Resource Development, has been making statements that are as ridiculous as the history lessons of an NCERT textbook.

In January this year, Tharoor was in Pakistan, where he appeared in a televised discussion organised by the Islamabad- based Jinnah Institute. While Tharoor remained steadfast on India’s position on terror and Kashmir, he played into the hands of a co-panelist who blamed the Pandits’ exodus on then Kashmir Governor Jagmohan. While mentioning Pakistan’s role in Kashmir, Tharoor says: “My wife is a Kashmiri Pandit. She grew up in the [Kashmir] Valley. And her 200-year- old home was burnt down by terrorists; certainly not by her neighbours who she grew up with, but by people who came across the border”. To which his co-panelist Naseem Zehra says: “But you know it was the BJP’s policy to remove Pandits from the (Kashmir) Valley.” Shockingly, Tharoor nods his head and says: “I think it was a terrible policy and she and I would agree on that.”

Whose terrible policy? Tharoor seems to have forgotten that in 1990 Jagmohan was not with the BJP. He was sent by the VP Singh Government to restore law and order in Kashmir, where the administration seemed to have collapsed. The exodus of Kashmiri Pandits had already begun when he took charge.

Tharoor recently went on to tweet that he knew many Pandits who blame ‘BJP’s Jagmohan’ for their plight. Hundreds of Pandits responded angrily to this untruth. He later stressed that his in-laws wouldn’t have left if Jagmohan had not asked them to leave. While it’s not clear under what circumstances Tharoor’s in-laws left the Valley, the facts of the Pandit exodus and the circumstances that led to it suggest otherwise.

Right from the beginning, Congress leader Rajiv Gandhi tried his best to sabotage Jagmohan’s mission in Kashmir simply because he wanted to play petty politics against the then VP Singh Government. He forgot that it was his mother who had sent Jagmohan in 1984 for his first tenure as Governor. In March 1990, Gandhi landed in Srinagar with a political delegation and acted petulantly by raising non-issues like where Deputy Prime Minister Devi Lal was made to sit (to the left of the Governor in an apparent breach of protocol). He of course did not visit the Pandits who had already fled to Jammu. In May the same year, Gandhi’s cronies tried to stall proceedings in Parliament by quoting an interview Jagmohan had given Mumbai-based magazine Current in which he allegedly said: “Every Muslim in Kashmir is a militant today… the bullet is the only solution for Kashmir.” This interview is still used by propagandists to pin the blame for the Pandit exodus on Jagmohan. The fact is that Jagmohan never gave that interview; in fact, he filed a Rs 20 lakh damage suit against the weekly in the Delhi High Court immediately after. Both the correspondent and the weekly’s editor were forced to tender a written apology to Jagmohan.

Fact is that by March 1990, Kashmiri Pandits were being brutalised on the streets and inside their homes by mobs. Many were killed in cold blood, scores of women were raped. Despite this, Jagmohan’s office issued an appeal in newspapers on 7 March 1990, asking Pandits not to leave ‘even temporarily’. He offered to set up temporary camps for them in the Valley.

The truth of the Pandit exodus is stated courageously by veteran Kashmiri journalist and Srinagar Times editor Ghulam Mohammed Sofi in an interview he conducted in 1997 for a book. Asked about Jagmohan’s alleged role in the exodus, Sofi remarks: “It is a total lie. It is part of systematic propaganda. The Pandit flight from the Valley was the sequel to a plan hatched well in advance from outside the state. It had nothing to do with Jagmohan.” To another question about the situation in the Valley when Jagmohan took over as Governor, Sofi says: “There was no administration worth the name anywhere in the state… I mean in the Valley. Police stations all over the Valley were centres of operation for militants. Jagmohan could not have done anything. Nearly 32,000 Kashmiri Pandit houses have been burnt since 1991. Is there Jagmohan’s hand in this too?”

One would have expected authors of books such as Pax Indica to have a better understanding of Kashmir. In 2010, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari, who seems to suffer from a virulent form of foot-in-mouth disease, had said it was a ‘fear psychosis’ created by Jagmohan that led to the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits. But then he is Manish Tewari.

drkrn, maomao, sob and 3 others like this.
  3. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Shashi of the fame of cattle class remarks... just leave him alone.. for him all Kashmiri pundits were cattle class while the Seikhs are of his class

maomao and parijataka like this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Tharoor is cute in appearance and his English diction is a pleasure to the ear.

But his brains are located at a part of the human anatomy, where the waste is expelled!

brain_dead, arnabmit, Neil and 2 others like this.
  5. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

That Kashmiri Pundit matter was really funny. He blamed BJP for everything indirectly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

6. Ray

He is a fool.

Kashmir is an issue that is because of Machiavellian skulduggery of the Congress and no one else!

7. VIP

Yes, sir you should have seen response on Twitter.People were in shock that how can a person get low. Every stupid thing he's doing after joining politics. And also response from eNarega dupes, they're really blind, they're agreeing and trying to blame Modi for this lol.

8. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Firstly he's Dr sashi and not Mr

secondly he speaks not just perfect english but also perfect french as well - i wonder how many on this forum ..........

thirdly he obtained his Ph D at a rather young age so in my book i wouldnt describe him as some of you have ?

Fourthly we all can improve including the man himself and , the sooner the better ?

9. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Significant improvement in dimensions of your avatar have occurred.

[​IMG]

roma, sob, VIP and 1 other person like this.
  10. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

Here is a better picture :hehe:[​IMG]

VIP and parijataka like this.
  11. VIP

Ewww...She didn't shave/wax/whatever her armpits....That low resolution was enough.... :rofl:

12. Ray

Notwithstanding, he could do better by understanding India a wee bit more.

In so far as Kashmir is concerned, I can with some authority state, having been there from 1950 (as a child) till 2001 on and oft for rather long stints, not less than three years each and that too in every part of Kashmir, that maybe his opinion on Kashmir require serious brushing up.

Degree do not give one what one would call 'education'.

Degree are merely vehicles that helps experience being understood in the correct perspective and analysis.

Manmohan Singh is an acclaimed economist, but his hands on application as seen in India, does lead one to believe that there is a yawning chasm between theory and practice.

Marrying Kashmiris do give an edge in the appearance of an aura of 'authenticity',but the real authenticity and authority to comment knowledgeably comes from experience gained by living over years in Kashmir.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    roma likes this.
  13. Ray

Jagmohan or Jagmohan Malhotra, to be precise, was not in the BJP when he was the Governor.

In fact, Jagmohan, during the Indian Emergency (1975–1977), was vice-chairman of Delhi Development Authority and was a confidant of Sanjay Gandhi and Indira Gandhi. He is credited with large-scale demolition of slums during this time for "beautification" purposes.

He was the right hand man of Sanjay Gandhi, a scion of the First Family of the Congress Party.

parijataka likes this.
  14. roma

have to look "indian"-enough eh ?
    ( younger days - using corset and "body shapers" )

15. roma

Agree with you almost completely except the degree-bashing part

actually i would have agreed with your original post except that i felt the shashi-bashing content could have been more moderate

my explanation is that i had to pick your post to reply - as i felt that on this forum - you are THE MAN ! ( a major compliment )

16. Ray

Thank you.

I am totally thrilled and humbled.

Personally, I liked Shashi and thought he would make some difference, including when he was unfairly bashed for the 'cattle class' tweet and for living in a hotel at his own expense.

However, now it appears, he is getting into the political groove.

That is a sad state for an intelligent man!

He indeed is joining the cattle class (though unduly privileged) called politicians!

I have respect for those with conscience and are forthright.

Ram Jethmalani is an uncontrolled unguided Scud Missile.

But he is steadfast in his belief and not worried about rocking the boat!

Much that one may like to have some sense of order in society and politics, but you cannot help but admire the man for his honesty.

parijataka, VIP and maomao like this.
  17. roma

Hello Ray-ji

ram J - is a ptiy bcos he has good intellect - but as you said uncontrolled - to the point that for people like me he has to be put to the backroom ...he would be an excellent brainstorm team member to have , but is no spokesman for whatever cause

as for shashi - i'll be a bit more critical of him this time around - really i feel he has a tendency to let his successes get to his head

then he starts acting the "englishman" loses balance and makes the kind of questionable mistakes where people like your good-self have to say "wait a minute" ( i guess he has been living abroad for such a long time he needs to regain his indian-ness in his mannerisms and outward show of humility - besides of courese, getting the facts right )

so im hoping the hon dr shashi will exercise better self-control henceforth

( btw my opinion of yourself remains at that high level ! )

18. Bhadra

vaulte Face Ha Ha Ha

19. Ray

Please don't embarrass me.

There are wonderful and better people around here including you.

I am but only a nacheez.

Lived my life well, with respect and honour and inspired nationalism, but happy to be an average Indian.

Nonetheless, thank you for being so kind.

20. Ray

What is that - vaulte face?

21. Bhadra