History behind Saraswathi Puja on Basant Panchami ?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Anybody elaborate on that.

When I heard that people were celebrating Saraswathi Puja I was pretty confused as we celebrate Saraswathi Puja on the 8th day of Dussehra and the next day as Vijaya Dasami.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Edited.

:okay:

Last edited:

panduranghari

A mythological consort of Lord Brahma, Saraswati is the personification of knowledge - arts, science and crafts. She represents power, creativity and inspiration and presents herself when the weather is pleasant and nature is in its full grandeur. It is a season of inspiration and passion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

parijataka

Country flag

When I heard that people were celebrating Saraswathi Puja I was pretty confused as we celebrate Saraswathi Puja on the 8th day of Dussehra and the next day as Vijaya Dasami.
Thats the case in South India - we also celebrate Saraswati Pooja during Dasra in Kar.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
There is a tradition of Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami Day. That is the day of initiation into education, taking new students in Gurukula as also sowing seeds after ploughing the field.

As also a day for "Raksha Bandhan" by the family priest.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

You are still confused .
How can there be Dashami just after Ashtami? Where would Navmi go ?
The asthami is " Mahagori" day when the Mahgori form of the mother is worshipped..

Just hear the Kavacham of Durga shaptashati :

Since you don a religious avtar you are expected to guide others on Hindu religious issues.

Here is Mahgori:

Last edited by a moderator:

KS

Bye bye DFI
You are still confused .
How can there be Dashami just after Ashtami? Where would Navmi go ?
The asthami is " Mahagori" day when the Mahgori form of the mother is worshipped..
Saraswathi Puja/Ayudha Puja (shastra puja) is celebrated on the 8th day of Dussehra on Maha Navami in South.

This year (2012) the 9-Dussehra celebration started on 16-10-2012 and Saraswathi Puja on the 8th day (23-10-2012) was celebrated on Maha Navami and on the 9th day (Dasami) Vijayadasami was celebrated. On the 8th day we dont do any studies, as the books, pens and any weapons are kept for worship. On the next day, we do another a puja in te morning and take out the books and study that day. Kids are initiated into schools or they are made to write their first letter (typically the first tamil alphabet "à®…") in rice in a temple or at home. This is how things happen in South. That is why I asked about the celebration of Saraswathi Puja in February in North.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles