Hindustan Trainer HTT-40

pmaitra

re: HAL pushes HTT-40 as light attack platform

Its not a robotic technology
In our robotics course, we had to solve problems using Denavit-Hartenberg Parameters. One of the subjects was an airplane landing gear.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

better use it as unmanned aircraft with light attack capabilities.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

UAV have there own issues, Like the Reaper, made by General Atomics, can cost $10m or more, depending on its bells and whistles. On top of that, a single drone can require a team of more than 20 people on the ground to support it, plus satellite communications. A manned turboprop can bomb an insurgent for a third of the cost of using a drone, according to Pat Sullivan, the head of government sales at Cessna. And there are strategic considerations, too. Many countries' armed forces rely on allies such as America for the expertise and satellite networks needed to run drones. Such allies can let you down in a pinch

==============

Though UAV have there place ..

better use it as unmanned aircraft with light attack capabilities.

pankaj nema

Country flag

India will use HAWK trainer as a light attack aircraft

That too after air superiority is achieved

IAF alone will have more than 100 hawks

HTT 40 has very limited capabilities

Very small range ; very slow and very little weapon carrying capacity

The HAL manager who made this statement was speaking to
a totally UN INFORMED audience

Hawk is much better than HTT 40

dealwithit

India will use HAWK trainer as a light attack aircraft
IAF alone will have more than 100 hawks
HTT 40 has very limited capabilities
Very small range ; very slow and very little weapon carrying capacity
The HAL manager who made this statement was speaking to
a totally UN INFORMED audience
Hawk is much better than HTT 40
Htt 40 is comparable to Pilatus PC-7 mk II
even though costlier than pilatus pc-7 but it has more power,speed and load capacity,,,

BAE hawk unit cost $18 million... HTT 40 costs $6-7 million dollars.. And it is indigenous lots of small scale industries will pickup,,

mikhail

Country flag
Re: HAL pushes HTT-40 as light attack platform

UAV have there own issues, Like the Reaper, made by General Atomics, can cost $10m or more, depending on its bells and whistles. On top of that, a single drone can require a team of more than 20 people on the ground to support it, plus satellite communications. A manned turboprop can bomb an insurgent for a third of the cost of using a drone, according to Pat Sullivan, the head of government sales at Cessna. And there are strategic considerations, too. Many countries' armed forces rely on allies such as America for the expertise and satellite networks needed to run drones. Such allies can let you down in a pinch

==============

Though UAV have there place ..
sir i have asked this question many a times before in this forum but i haven't got a satisfying answer till now,so i am asking this to you as you are probably the best person to ask this question-why did the IAF choose the Pilatus PC-7 MKII version over the Pilatus PC-21?i mean apart from the low maintainence and operating cost of PC-7 MKII over PC-21,PC-21 scores over PC-7 in virtually every parameter.so what made the IAF to choose these old version when they had the option to buy the new one and that too for a slightly increased price?

dealwithit

@mikhail Its 60% about the price .. Because HTT-40 is similiar to PC-21..
The reason to put down HAL HTT-40 its Costly.. And too want Hear from @Kunal Biswas

Last edited by a moderator:

Rizvi Khan

Country flag

this is my first post! But i don't think it would be wise to induct any of these planes for CAS. We should probably look for more modern options.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Must be pre arranged agreement based on lowest bidder, So there was no modifications in latter stage ..

It can be also part of a scam, IAF & IA deals are full of scams ..

sir i have asked this question many a times before in this forum but i haven't got a satisfying answer till now,so i am asking this to you as you are probably the best person to ask this question-why did the IAF choose the Pilatus PC-7 MKII version over the Pilatus PC-21?

bose

Country flag

HAL should push HTT-40 as basic trainer platform only nothing more or less... even if they able to mount a gun or some sort of drop bomb it does not become a light attack aircraft unless one decides to use it against maoists... HAL must stop such foolish comments, it will not help them in any way...

mikhail

Country flag

this is my first post! But i don't think it would be wise to induct any of these planes for CAS. We should probably look for more modern options.
mate,first of all welcome to this forum.but the first thing that you should do is to open a thread in the Members introduction section and introduce yourself to all the fellow members

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

The idea is good, It is intended for export ..

May be IA purchases few for its own aviation..

HAL should push HTT-40 as basic trainer platform only nothing more or less... even if they able to mount a gun or some sort of drop bomb it does not become a light attack aircraft unless one decides to use it against maoists... HAL must stop such foolish comments, it will not help them in any way...

bose

Country flag

The idea is good, It is intended for export ..

May be IA purchases few for its own aviation..
I would definitly like IAF to go for the indeginious HTT-40 platform, even if if it be little bit costly initially, those can be made up with large IAF order for basic trainers ~ 120 - 140 in numbers and exports to other countries one can bring down the peer unit costs to the level of Pilatus PC 7 Mk II... Moreover we keep the valuable foreign exchange within country with employment to people...

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

considering that rupee is touching 65 per dollar ,and if total lifecycle cost is used for calculation Pliatus will become twice as costly,

because the rupee is only going to go relentlessly downwards,So most of the justification for IAF to buy much lower spec pliatus over HTT-40 vanishes.

Twinblade

Country flag

You do realise that plenty of basic trainers around the world, like Super Tucano, KT-1 and AT-6B are configured for light attack role to introduce munitions training early in the curriculum ?

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

You do realise that plenty of basic trainers around the world, like Super Tucano, KT-1 and AT-6B are configured for light attack role to introduce munitions training early in the curriculum ?
South Korea is a Good Example

S. Korean Light Fighter Jet To Enter Service | Defense News | defensenews.com

FA 50 derived from T-50 supersonic trainer jet

KAI officials said they aim to sell about 1,000 FA-50s and T-50s over the next three decades, with KAI and Lockheed Martin planning to compete for the US Air Force T-X program for at least 300 aircraft.

Indonesia was the first T-50 customer, with a 2011 order for 12 T-50i jets, an FA-50 version for the Indonesian Air Force.

Twinblade

Country flag

South Korea is a Good Example

S. Korean Light Fighter Jet To Enter Service | Defense News | defensenews.com

FA 50 derived from T-50 supersonic trainer jet
The proper south korean example comparable with HTT-40 would be KT-1/KA-1 :)

Also, our establishment is sitting on a proposal to make a LIFT out of two seater Tejas. If anything, that project should be approved along with HAL CAT-39, but common sense is a rare commodity in India.

Last edited:

bose

Country flag

Sure some might be but my argument was that it can not be made into such but where it is fit for use against Maoist or enemy ? the type of enemy we have I do not think these type of light attack aircraft with no counter EW suits on them will be a sitting ducks against a shoulder fighter SAM...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Turbo prop such as this fly above MANPADS and AAA range, And they can be used for dropping Laser guided bombs ..

the type of enemy we have I do not think these type of light attack aircraft with no counter EW suits on them will be a sitting ducks against a shoulder fighter SAM...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles