Hindustan Trainer HTT-40

Decklander

TrueSpirit

They are also doing well with no safety issues and high order book proving other than the soviet origin Vintage Migs ,which have unreliable design of parts and unreliable supply of poor quality spares from the start HAL has done well with other platforms.
Well, not the Mig's alone.

Despite the maintenance-intensive engine & smoke-trail issues, Mig 29's crash-rate is substantially lower than the rest (only Mirage2K better its).

It is a separate matter, than Mig29's availability (& sortie-generation rate) is constrained from time to time due to spare & sourcing issues.

Infact, IAF's Jaguar fleet has a record as bad as the vintage Migs. when it comes to crash rate.

Interestingly, Jaguar in other AF's (RAF, etc.) did not see such high crash rates.

However, the Maritime Strike Jaguars with the IN (maybe, around 10 or so, now) have not crashed a lot, IIRC.

TrueSpirit

Also the Dassualt chief has on record praised the upkeep of Mirage-2000 fleet by HAL.
Was it Dassault chief himself who expressed his reservations on the air that he does not trust the HAL's tooling & machining facilities to be able to integrate/assemble Rafale within the set timelines ?

I think we should take such admiration/condemnation with a pinch of salt because these guys have their own axe to grind.

But, I would definitely trust Air Marshal Ashok K Goel (Retd.) more than any Dassault executive. Who would want their own boys to be killed in crashes ?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Sir, agree with u , but as far as HAL support goes, quite bad as per Air Marshal Goel's Blog.....

Air Marshal Ashok K Goel (Retd.) PVSM, AVSM, VM: Flying Accidents in the IAF

He says most casualties (90%) occur on HAL built Aircraft.........
I think what he means is If 2 versions of Jaguar IS are flying, one BAE and other HAL built, 90% of problems occur / casulities occur on HAL built one. As head of Maintenance of IAF, maybe he knows sumthing......
Further,
HAL could not rectify deficiencies of HPT 32. IAF was forced to withdraw the aircraft from service. It is most disappointing and astonishing that HAL has not been able to produce a trust worthy basic trainer. Since HAL has failed to produce a trust worthy basic trainer IAF has opted for PILATUS aircraft.
How can HLL which cannot rectify the faults of HTT-32 has had an exemplary safety record with ALH and LCA?

And the bloody surprise is how come HLL which produce a Sukhoi-MKI from raw material stage , unable to remedy the fuel pump problems in HTT-32. The engine and fuel Pump of HTT-32 must have been sourced from abroad. So HLL can take the advice of the OEM and could have rectified this.

It is surprising how HLL failed to do it.

Sounds very much mysterious to me. The same tone and tenor is adopted by articles that squarely criticizes HLL for the fault of HTT-32. But when HLL tried to remedy the situation with building HTT-35 BTT IAF vetoed it why?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Was it Dassault chief himself who expressed his reservations on the air that he does not trust the HAL's tooling & machining facilities to be able to integrate/assemble Rafale within the set timelines ?

I think we should take such admiration/condemnation with a pinch of salt because these guys have their own axe to grind.

But, I would definitely trust Air Marshal Ashok K Goel (Retd.) more than any Dassault executive. Who would want their own boys to be killed in crashes ?
That is mostly due to their recent love affair with Relaince which has zero experience in fighters and still managed to earn the trust of Dassault!!!!!!!!!!!!.

But once Dassuault realized this love affair will lead to the abdication of their hard won ,"MMRCA crown for RAFALE", they changed track and started rediscovering the splendid partnership they had with HLL.

No words from Dasualt chief is needed. Just look at the facts. OF the 40 Mirages in the fleet , untill the two recent crashes , the Mirage had zero accident record for decades that too for a single engined plane. HLL did the servicing as instructed by dassualt.

Thats why even as late as 2004 IAF wanted to buy 200 more Mirage-2000 in place of MMRCA contract with much lower cost.

Then how can the Retired AirMarshal explain this exemplary maintenance record of Mirage by HLL. By keeping silent and clubing them with poorly designed Mig-21s and irresolvable engine design problem plauged Mig-23s ofcourse in a sly foot note.

The airmarshal's finding the root cause of the crash problems is on par with the same scholarly rigor as that of a tarot card reader.

SO how come the russian platforms alone have such problems?

Mark my words it is the HLL with their expertise in composites is going to build and RAFALE and will have an even better safety record with RAFALE.

Can any clown explain if HLL is such a poor technical expertise entity , how come a totally new composite fly by wire tech engine LCA which has been totally flown by the computer maintain a spotless safety record across 12 platforms, 2000 sorties 12 year time span?

Simply the days of HLL baiting by retired IAF types are history, With delivering Dhurv which can reach the highest operational altitudes acrodd Siachen and winning a bunch of export orders HLL has already proved itself,

Can you believe this piece of news------Russian airforce has ordered mission computer, radar computer, Stores management software for their to be inducted 64 SU-30s from the same HLL , which is squarely being blamed by retired IAF types for not being able to keep HTT-32 airborne.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I know about both the gun and the material. The complexity difference between a ship and a tank is that the designers have much higher levels of sophistication due to the small size of the tank. The smaller the design, the higher the complexity in designing such a system, the very reason why Arjun got bigger and heavier over time.
In another way the naval guns are not restricted to firing a 10kg round just for 5 Km. The gun size and the size of Arjun has no relationship.Why Arjun is big is , due to the safe ammo storage 4 man crew GSQR of Amry. So it is not the Ship guns are such a piece of cake. All armaments use the cutting edge tech at all levels. there are no exceptions.

The reason why this gun is imported. Same with the radars and other weapons systems like the AD units, Missile squadrons. Luckily we managed to make indigenous EW components, maybe not the best, but adequate for what the IN requires and that word is important, adequate.

Not by luck but by concentrated r& D, I haven't known that the torpedoes and other stuff being worked on by DRDO arrives just due to luck.

I am not saying designing a ship is a piece of cake. What I am trying to say is that designing a ship and comparing it to a tank or aircraft isn't fair. The latter are much more difficult to achieve. There are only a handful of modern tank and aircraft designs around the world. Even a layman can commit to memory the number of modern designs available for either. In comparison every major country has its own individual modern ship design that is unique to itself and even experts need to look back at their notes to differentiate between the numbers available.
If we tailor our weapon load and range requirements according to the engine thrust level we can produce a fighter that matches the su-30 here itself.
By no analysis we can say we can not produce anything world class here, Now arjun ranks among one of the best tanks in the world and it;s future FMBT version will also be state of the art among future tanks.

Ships have complex electronics, propulsion and weapons systems, I definitely agree. Due to the sophistication required and the inability of the Indian industry to deliver, the IN has no choice but to import most of these systems. Hence why IN isn't really a champion of indigenization, they merely make do with what can be done while importing for what cannot.

IN while importing the systems that are not here right now is also making an effort to replace them with suitable local stuff later. But IA and IAF re effectively killing off local R&D effort by continuously changing specs mid way.

Again my point was not in the finer technical aspects of a ship or aircraft design. There is not a single ship in the IN which can really go toe to toe with any USN ship. The Delhi class is completely outclassed by the Ticonderoga. The Shivalik class is outclassed by AB. We have nothing in comparison to the subs and carriers, even USN assault ships and support ships.
Once again it is the tactics that we use. F-22 is the best as per all opinions. But still many have different opinions about the effectiveness of F-22 if suitable EW measures are deployed
However IAF has some platforms which are more sophisticated and more expensive than what USAF operates, namely Phalcon and MKI. And higher requirements than even VVS for FGFA.
Our MKI is there because of the sub standard avionic on board the original flanker versions. Nothing ,more
In conclusion, my points are quite simple and are listed below.

- The IAF and IA cannot be expected to have their own design bureaus like the Navy does. It is practically impossible. As a matter of fact the future of such an establishment is weak in certain ways since there will be no scope for competition. In around 20 or 30 years we may end up seeing HAL and ADA designs competing with each other for IAF requirements. What's disappointing is the IAF request for placing their own men in ADA and HAL at an administration level was turned down. Like the position in the LCA program that has been vacant since 20 years, according to the TKS blog

Not having a few P.HD holders in their PSQR team is a shame for a force that calls itself the air space force. IAF request for placing it's men who have no technical education in the country's state of the art R&D team is illogical.
No design team wants an outside member from an organization which neither funds the program or supports it whole heartedly leading to stalling the program five years due to lack of funding.

It was the IAF's trenchant opposition to the techs tried on board the tejas , and it's opposition to funding that led to the serial delays of LCA from the begining. If at all IAF guys were there in the administrative team the program could have been wound up long ago with motivated leaks and would have led to more resignation from the members of technical team who are not coolies to slog on a project that will not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

- IAF requirements are far beyond the horizon of what the Indian industry can deliver, even if IAF sits on top of their heads and empties their entire budget only on R&D. There is a limit to what services support and unlimited funding can do. Look at the Chinese, still stuck with technologies from the 80s, and still reduced to importing. They even have more money and high tech skills than we do. So comparing IAF's needs and requirements to IN's needs and requirements are like comparing apples and oranges, therefore even the expectations from the defence industry would be different for both while taking into account some of the Navy's requirements are easier to develop.
At anytime more than 60 percent of the fighters that fly in IAF and 60 percent of the tanks that populate the IA fleet is way below the local tech levels in India as shown up by Arjun and Tejas. Time to accept this and replace the junks with modern indian products.

Simply flying with junk Mig-21 Bisons,funneling 40 million dollar a piece to Mirage upgrades , while continuing to ration the Tejas orders and doing ASR crepp on Tejas ,

and spending billions on useless upgrades of junk level T-72s and stalling ARJUN is the reason why IAF and IA failed where IN succeed. Comparing whether each and every platform the navy has can go to toe with US navy is not needed. SInce the IA , IAF and IN are never going to wipe out the US forces.

if the weapons are good enough to top the chinese and Pak stuff and well above more than 70 percent of IA and IAF current weapons it is good enough.thats all.

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

That is mostly due to their recent love affair with Relaince which has zero experience in fighters and still managed to earn the trust of Dassault!!!!!!!!!!!!.

But once Dassuault realized this love affair will lead to the abdication of their hard won ,"MMRCA crown for RAFALE", they changed track and started rediscovering the splendid partnership they had with HLL.

No words from Dasualt chief is needed. Just look at the facts. OF the 40 Mirages in the fleet , untill the two recent crashes , the Mirage had zero accident record for decades that too for a single engined plane. HLL did the servicing as instructed by dassualt.
That's exactly what I meant. IAF or HAL needs no certificates of character (here, competency) from someone representing a foreign aviation company.

What bothers me is the Jaguar crash rate...AFAIK, it is as bad as the Mig's, right ? What causes are attributed to it ? Good old "Human Error" ? Which is attributed to 51% of crashes in last 3 decades....

Can you believe this piece of news------Russian airforce has ordered mission computer, radar computer, Stores management software for their to be inducted 64 SU-30s from the same HLL , which is squarely being blamed by retired IAF types for not being able to keep HTT-32 airborne.
I didn't knew that. Quite interesting.

So, this proves that HAL has indeed become good at providing some quality, state-of-the-art avionics, though the skeptics would ask for more than that to be convinced about HAL's mettle.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
That's exactly what I meant. IAF or HAL needs no certificates of character (here, competency) from someone representing a foreign aviation company.

What bothers me is the Jaguar crash rate...AFAIK, it is as bad as the Mig's, right ? What causes are attributed to it ? Good old "Human Error" ? Which is attributed to 51% of crashes in last 3 decades....

So, this proves that HAL has indeed become good at providing some quality, state-of-the-art avionics, though the skeptics would ask for more than that to be convinced about HAL's mettle.

Once platforms like Mig-21 and 23, and jag are scrapped in the countries of their origin , it is tough to support them may be one reason. And the Mig-21 has one of the fastest landing speeds and tough to handle for young pilots. Once again it is the lack of Advanced jet trainers and good basic trainers that contributes to most of the human error.

For example a few of the sukhoi crashes have something to do with Fly by wire software bugs and are being remedied now.

You should also know of the 40 odd JF-17s inducted in Pakistani airforce a couple crashed recently with Rd series engines. They are brand new engines as well, that too of improved versions.

And the JF-17 is not inducted in PLAF even as a trainer and only marked as export for unsuspecting third world countries.

It is the same RD series tech engines of much earlier versions that are on Mig-23s (100 of them were grounded due to irresolvable engine issues by IAF recently), Mig-21s and Mig-29s.

Only two jag crashes were reported in the parliamentary report in the past three years. I think there are around 60 odd jags in IAf , I am not sure.

SO it needs detailed analysis to find out the reason behind crashes of each platform. ANd it is being done systematically.

The items ordered by Russian airforce for their Su-30s are infact the nervous system of a fighter plane.

And Dhurv is used as presidential helo by equador and did exceedingly well in the recent relief effort. And none of it crashed , while a MI-17 crashed.

Last edited:

p2prada

Sorry. You are wrong. A ship has to continuously stand te stresses of being thrown about in the ocean AND survive a hit below the waterline from a torpedo or missile where the warhead itself is heavier than an entire 120 mm shell and casing. I think you are simply basing your statement on guesswork.
The minute the aircraft hits the 120 mark, it is handling far more stress than a ship. The minute the aircraft takes off the stress on the airframe is so high that there is not a single ship in the world that compares to it.

An aircraft should be so well designed that its wing can be ripped off and it should continue to fly. It should be so well designed that it should survive an impact on ground or water at very high speeds in the hundreds of Kmph.

This is not random guesswork. A ship is designed and inducted in 10 years flat, 5 years for a Frigate. An aircraft is designed and developed over 15-20 years and then in service for 25-30 years. That's the difference. Even today, the most complex industrial marvels are not ships, but aircraft.

The major difference is that for aircraft a system failure could mean certain death for the crew. This is not true for a ship. So safety demands for the act of flying itself are more stringent, let alone battle damage.
Exactly, my point. Hence why it is a far more complex system.

So, Air Marshal Goel is quite true in the sense that the Mirage-2000H fleet have experienced somewhat lower accident rate when compared to the rest, so HAL should take some part of the blame for doing less than what is needed.
Not entirely true. Manufacturing defects have been a very very small part of the overall accident rate.

Sir, if you remember, in an IAF thread you posted that T-90 is lot more indigenous components that Arjun & similarly MKI is lot more indigenous than LCA.

Here, you are saying that LCA & Arjun as over 70% indigenous. By that logic, T-90 & MKI should be 80% - 100% indigenous (& we know for a fact that this is absolute fallacy).
T-90 is 85% indigenous. The reason why only 85% is because the Thermal imager Catherine is directly imported from Russia and it costs Rs 2.5 Crores.

MKI is over 90% indigenous. Only the landing carriage comes from Russia apart from raw materials for making the aircraft. Even the crystals for the blades are grown in the Koraput plant.

IIRC, you claimed that LCA & Arjun have quite a small percentage of indigenous components (something to the tune of 30% - 40%).

So, which of the above is closer to truth regarding LCA + Arjun (over 70% indigenous or over 40% indigenous ?) & T-90 + MKI (over 80% or lesser ?)

The info shared seems quite self-contradictory.
LCA and Arjun are a little over 70% indigenous. Engines for both are imported. Most of the stuff on Arjun is license produced in India itself, and is based on Israeli electronics.

MKI - Everything is made here. HAL claims they can even make the raw materials here in India, just that contract stipulates them to import raw materials. Raw materials for spares are made in India. Only landing carriage is imported along with the ejector seats. That's because they cannot be made in India at a cheaper rate than in Russia. Rest everything can be made cheaper in India. Even radar is made and assembled in Hyderabad.

T-90 - Everything, except for Catherine and a few other electronics (which I am not aware of), is made in India. Even the engines.

p2prada

Look man. I will tell this again. Ersakthivel is an idiot. The part of his post which you quoted is pretty much nonsense.

Our total Mirage-2000 purchases since the 80s was 59 aircraft. Today we have 49. 10 have crashed over the last 30 years.

In 1982 we purchased 40 and 9 more in 1986. We purchased 10 more Mirage-2000 in 2000. The third purchase were all attrition purchases.

Read this,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...lane-crashes-mp-pilots-safe-4.html#post439454
Disappointing news.

The crash rate of the Mirage-2000 is more or less the same as the Mig-29 but lower than the PAF F-16. The PAF crash rate for the F-16 is higher than both Mig-29 and Mirage-2000.

In ascending order;
Mig-29: A fleet of 80 with 12 losses. Crash rate is at 15%.

Mirage-2000: A fleet of 59 with 10 losses. Crash rate is at 17%.

PAF F-16: A fleet of 40 with 10 losses. Crash rate is at 25%.
The 40 aircraft considered are the ones delivered to them in the 80s. All F-16 crashes are for the Block 15s. Whatever they have now were recently received by PAF. Even the last crash in 2009 was a Block 15.

A rather impressive statistic for IAF considering our Mig-29s had supplies issues after the dissolution of the SU.

Anyway the low crash rate for the MKI is the most impressive. With 3 crashes and a current strength of ~150MKIs, we can say the crash rate is at 2-3%. But the aircraft are relatively new, so the crash rate is acceptable.
It's a very old post.

More importantly, all the LCA flying today were manufactured by HAL. Not one has crashed, credit goes to HAL.

Most of the crashes that happened are mostly IAF's fault, not HALs.

p2prada

The Jaguar crash rate is quite acceptable, especially looking at the numbers operational and the kind of environment they operate in.

At first we leased 18 Jaguars and we returned 9 back to the UK while retaining the other 9. Then we placed orders for 168 more in different tranches from 1979 to 2006. Our oldest Jaguars are 7-10 years old, at least 37 of them.

We lost between 35 and 40 of these in total. I don't have the exact number. So let's take 40. That puts the attrition rate at less than 23%. That's as good as the Mirage-2000/Mig-29 crash rate and it even betters PAF F-16 crash rate especially considering Jaguar have to fly at low altitudes where the pilot has less reaction time and the aircraft itself is under more stress.

So the number of available Jaguars should statistically be around 137 aircraft. We know that there is a contract for 100 EL/M 2032 radars for Jaguar, so we can expect 100 Jaguars to remain in service until 2030. Another 14 should be IM versions with the radars already equipped. So total 114 operational fighters. The rest may be for tests, training etc, maybe even for cannibalization of parts. We are also ordering around 150 autopilots for the aircraft.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
The minute the aircraft hits the 120 mark, it is handling far more stress than a ship. The minute the aircraft takes off the stress on the airframe is so high that there is not a single ship in the world that compares to it.

An aircraft should be so well designed that its wing can be ripped off and it should continue to fly. It should be so well designed that it should survive an impact on ground or water at very high speeds in the hundreds of Kmph.

This is not random guesswork. A ship is designed and inducted in 10 years flat, 5 years for a Frigate. An aircraft is designed and developed over 15-20 years and then in service for 25-30 years. That's the difference. Even today, the most complex industrial marvels are not ships, but aircraft.

Exactly, my point. Hence why it is a far more complex system.

Not entirely true. Manufacturing defects have been a very very small part of the overall accident rate.

T-90 is 85% indigenous. The reason why only 85% is because the Thermal imager Catherine is directly imported from Russia and it costs Rs 2.5 Crores.

MKI is over 90% indigenous. Only the landing carriage comes from Russia apart from raw materials for making the aircraft. Even the crystals for the blades are grown in the Koraput plant.

LCA and Arjun are a little over 70% indigenous. Engines for both are imported. Most of the stuff on Arjun is license produced in India itself, and is based on Israeli electronics.

MKI - Everything is made here. HAL claims they can even make the raw materials here in India, just that contract stipulates them to import raw materials. Raw materials for spares are made in India. Only landing carriage is imported along with the ejector seats. That's because they cannot be made in India at a cheaper rate than in Russia. Rest everything can be made cheaper in India. Even radar is made and assembled in Hyderabad.

T-90 - Everything, except for Catherine and a few other electronics (which I am not aware of), is made in India. Even the engines.
Look man. I will tell this again. Ersakthivel is an idiot. The part of his post which you quoted is pretty much nonsense.
Show me proof that single crystal blades are being GROWN in Koraput.

Don't try to confuse others with what is raw material here. Because you can slip away immediately saying that raw material for these crystals being watered and grown in Koraput are coming from Russia. That is why you are keeping your raw material gate open , perhaps,

When the russians don't export any raw materials for t-90, Why the heck should they export raw material for Su-30? It is made of unobtanium perhaps!!!!!!!!

So raw material for SUKHOI is not available anywhere other than Russia perhaps!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a long way to go before correctly knowing the meaning of the words like indigenous and raw material!!!!!!!!!

Indian made Sukhois are more composite intensive than Russain one. Then Why the heck HAL import composite raw materials from Russia for which they have no technology?

And indian HAL is exporting the nervous system of the Su-30s to be inducted into Russain airforce. When RAW MATERIALS for these highly sophisticated radar computers and avionics are available in India , then why are raw materials for the structural metal components in SU-30 not available to India either from here or from anywhere else in the world.

I know you will be fed up once some one asks you to show proof for your banana republic claim.

of course it stops your cuckoo song in tracks.

Everyone knows who is the idiot around here.

Last edited:

Defcon 1

Country flag
LCA and Arjun are a little over 70% indigenous..
Do you have a source for 70% mark of LCA? The tender released by ADA for indigenous production of 111 LRUs, there is no news on its current status. Before that the level of indigenous components in LCA was 53% (by numbers), calculating it by value will further take it down.

Last edited:

syncro

Country flag
I copy a post from a Italian defence forum made by a well know swiss officier.

Lo scorso anno, in una lunga intervista al ceo di Pilatus O. Schwenk alla Luzerner Zeitung, il giornalista aveva sollevato il problema anche per il fatto che proprio l'India è considerata un Paese fra i più corrotti. Il boss dell'azienda di Stans aveva risposto che (cito) Pilatus "aveva trovato le persone giuste". Fatto sta che l'azienda aveva vinto il concorso perché (cito la fonte indiana) aveva presentato l'offerta più conveniente. Semmai, mi permetto di aggiungere, sono andate in fumo le grandiose premesse di contratti/collaborazione che prevedevano una linea di costruzione su licenza in India oltre alla totale manutenzione degli apparecchi. La realtà è che tutto avviene in Svizzera, gli apparecchi (siamo già oltre 20 su 75) vengono trasferiti e consegnati in India da piloti svizzeri e il servizio dopo vendita è quello consueto. Mah... situazioni, problemi e decisioni indiane.

automatic traslate

Last year, in a long interview with the ceo of Pilatus o. Schwenk at Luzerner Zeitung, the journalist had raised the problem even for the fact that India is considered a country among the most corrupt. The boss of the Stans had replied that (and I quote) Pilatus "had found the right people". The fact is that the company had won the competition because (and I quote the source indiana) had submitted the most cost-effective bid. If anything, I might add, have gone up in smoke the grandiose backdrop of contracts/cooperation which provided a construction line under licence in India in addition to the total maintenance of appliances. The reality is that everything happens in Switzerland, (we are already over 20 on 75) are transferred and delivered to India by Swiss pilots and service after sale is that usual. Mah ... situations, problems and Indian decisions.
From an external point of view (apart from the problems of probable bribes) ... why for the production of a simple trainer as the Pilatus PC-7 has not purchased the production license?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Do you have a source for 70% mark of LCA? The tender released by ADA for indigenous production of 111 LRUs, there is no news on its current status. Before that the level of indigenous components in LCA was 53% (by numbers), calculating it by value will further take it down.
Yeah thats what i meant.

BS. You are misquoting again. the 53 percent figure was quoted for LRUs alone , not for the whole fighter.

Indigenous components percentage will increase only when production gathers full steam. How can it increase in prototype testing phase? Who will invest money in brand new production lines for localizing parts in LSPs and PVs?

What is the reason for debating this in trainer thread?

What is the matter with you?

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

The Jaguar crash rate is quite acceptable, especially looking at the numbers operational and the kind of environment they operate in.
What kind of environment ? How is it different from the environment that other IAF aircrafts fly in ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles