Hindustan Trainer HTT-40

Ankit Kumar

I wish we do something about its power plant . Its really shameful when we claim of making jet engines and import engines for our basic trainers.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
^^^^ Well HAL is developing HTFE precisely for that purpose. However it is other thing that same core will be used in developing HTSE for Helicopters and HTPE for BTT kind and LTA SARAS kind aircrafts.

Ankit Kumar

Rahul Singh said:
^^^^ Well HAL is developing HTFE precisely for that purpose. However it is other thing that same core will be used in developing HTSE for Helicopters and HTPE for BTT kind and LTA SARAS kind aircrafts.
Shouldn't developing a 1000hp turboprop engines been the priority ? Its not as difficult as the turbo fans , it would require less time and money.

HTFE is well well , but there is no noise on any "Indian Turbo Prop engine ".

a matter of shame for me and other Indian defence enthusiasts when a random Swede props up and point that even our basic trainer ( years late ) is using a imported power plant ?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
See what HTFE truly is as of now is just core. The same core will be used for HTFE. It is just the transmission and adaptor modules that needs to be developed for HTSE. But before that happens you need to bring 'core' to satisfactory level first.

As for Turboprop version. Well i am failing to find out where i had read. But i do remember that it was something like after development of core of HTFE a turbosharft and a turboprop is the logical way forward.

As for the shame. Well HAL did tried develoing a 25 kn turbojet a long time ago for Kiran IJTs and for supersonic version of HF-24 Marut. But these efforts were dumped down in garbage bin because IAF had found its love in Jaguar over supersonic version of Marut. And reasons were sighted like unavailability of proper engine. And powered Marut MK-1.

Ankit Kumar

See what HTFE truly is as of now is just core. The same core will be used for HTFE. It is just the transmission and adaptor modules that needs to be developed for HTSE. But before that happens you need to bring 'core' to satisfactory level first.

As for Turboprop version. Well i am failing to find out where i had read. But i do remember that it was something like after development of core of HTFE a turbosharft and a turboprop is the logical way forward.

As for the shame. Well HAL did tried develoing a 25 kn turbojet a long time ago for Kiran IJTs and for supersonic version of HF-24 Marut. But these efforts were dumped down in garbage bin because IAF had found its love in Jaguar over supersonic version of Marut. And reasons were sighted like unavailability of proper engine. And powered Marut MK-1.
I do understand what you are saying but I am saying that the effort which should have been put for the most basic step is even not born ( means we have very seldom thought about it , forget about working on it. )

Today RR, GE , Honeywelland P&W dominate the turboprop market , and we in turn depend on them for our basic trainers , the cancelled aircraft project by NAL and even our UAV/UCAV projects.

This avenue is simply not even talked about . Having ones own Turboprop today actually shows where there are modern aviation industries.

See the list https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboprop , and mark them on the map , you will find the modern aviation industries. Sadly we are not among them.

I am not an aviation or any technical person till now , but what I read is that TPE331, one of the most widely used turboprops, it originated from a gas turbine and it had two intended versions
TPE(Propellar ) and TSE(TurboFan) one, but the development saw TPE becoming more successful.

I intend to say that yes we have a gas turbine, which also will be used upon the HAL engines under development , then why is an turboprop yet not atleast on a paper.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
^^^ I can't find that link yet, but definitely i have read something about turbofan version.

Besides, why we are behind in aviation engine? I won't repeat myself again. But will say, greater section of military-politico combine was against development of LCA back in 80. Had they been successful again, you would't have been taking about aviation engine today, but why India doesn't have any aviation industry at all?

It's not that we were lacking at capability or vision but true patriotic intensions for which one very much blame Indian Nation Congress and its pets almost entirely.

The changes that is increasing optimism is beacause there a DM who listens cares and more doesn't shy from putting his weight wherever it is necessary.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
this is great. now it is the turn of LUH. Does anybody have any idea of the date of its first flight?

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
http://www.defenseworld.net/news/16...t_Indigenous_HTT_40_Trainer_Soon#.V2FtzjV97IV

Indian Air Force To Flight Test Indigenous HTT-40 Trainer Soon

The Indian Air Force is eyeing to officially demonstrate the trial flight of its indigenous basic trainer aircraft HTT-40 in the next few days.

The formal test flight could take place sometime later this month or in early July, the Hindu quoted sources in the Ministry of Defense as saying Sunday.

Ever since the BTA's first prototype made its first 30-minute test sortie on May 31, it has been frequently airborne as part of the developmental exercise, the sources said.

The outcome of the early trial flights has been encouraging, they said.

HTT-40 (Hindustan Turbo Trainer), powered by a Honeywell engine, is being developed as the first level trainer for fresher pilots of the Air Force at the Aircraft Research & Development Centre of the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.

Although the small BTA would not count as a flagship of the HAL which has designs on bigger planes, internally the progress of the locally designed and developed trainer is seen as a morale booster.

When it gets its flight certification, as many as 68 of the trainers are set to be part of the IAF's I81 basic trainers.

The 113 imported Swiss-made Pilatus PC-7 MkII aircraft will be the other pilot training component.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
so we were struggling to develop a prop till now? What is so important in this achievement? I am not aware of the program but can some one put brief info. thanks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles