Hindustan Machine Tools Limited to make weapons

Ganesh2691

KOCHI: Public Sector Hindustan Machine Tools Limited (HMT) is gearing up to undertake manufacture of weapons and ammunition like rifles, missiles components and shells as part of its diversification plans. "We are in advanced stage of discussions with institutions like Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO). They have developed the technologies for manufacturing such items, and we have the capacity to manufacture them,'' M D Sreekumar, HMT's managing director told TOI. Sreekumar said DRDO passes on technologies to industries through an open tendering process. "So far we did not have the qualifications to participate in the tender. After the discussions DRDO will permit us to participate in the tender. And we are confident that we have the expertise to absorb the technologies,'' he said. The weapon manufacturing assignments would be mainly carried out in the Kochi (Kalamassery), Bangalore and Hyderabad units.

Hindustan Machine Tools Limited: From watches to weapons? - The Times of India

sob

Mod
Country flag
HMT has the necessary precision Machine Tools to do the job. The only question that remains is the work culture in various HMT units does not instill confidence about the end quality of the product.

agentperry

with more psus trying to become all rounder players i think Indian forces wont be having any problem related to quality of product and timely delivery of the equipments( as in case already witnessed by us since ages) because psus do have quality and autonomy rendered to them through navratna and maharatna status is being positively used by them as can be seen here.moreover more the no of players more will be the competition and better will be the quality and user satisfaction

Blackwater

There used to be HMT in pinjore near chandigarh..those were the days

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Couple of years back i had visited the hmt factory in kochi.Even though they could produce the riifles and ammunition if given the technoloogical transfer,but i seriously doubt the plant capacity for goiing for large scale productions.

agentperry

Couple of years back i had visited the hmt factory in kochi.Even though they could produce the riifles and ammunition if given the technoloogical transfer,but i seriously doubt the plant capacity for goiing for large scale productions.
the term is diversification and expansion

venkat

Just yesterday i was passing through HMT factory premises in Hyderabad...everything bore a deserted look and the factories wore a ghost look in dilapidated condition. when i was a kid we used to feel proud wearing HMT watches... After HMT,there lies IDPL and then HAL. in a row. HMT is finished , so is IDPL and is the turn of HAL in due course...lopsided management,polilices , ill conceived diversifications , heavy govt interference and unionism is bringing dooms day to indian PSU giants. i felt sad after seeing that HMT Ghost factory.!!!! MoD is trying its best to gag DPSUs by framing all kinds of rules for purchasing equipment, tendering Process, outsourcing..etc...with all these rules and regulations where are we heading to? Are they able to curb corruption? we are fooling ourselves.

agentperry

Just yesterday i was passing through HMT factory premises in Hyderabad...everything bore a deserted look and the factories wore a ghost look in dilapidated condition. when i was a kid we used to feel proud wearing HMT watches... After HMT,there lies IDPL and then HAL. in a row. HMT is finished , so is IDPL and is the turn of HAL in due course...lopsided management,polilices , ill conceived diversifications , heavy govt interference and unionism is bringing dooms day to indian PSU giants. i felt sad after seeing that HMT Ghost factory.!!!! MoD is trying its best to gag DPSUs by framing all kinds of rules for purchasing equipment, tendering Process, outsourcing..etc...with all these rules and regulations where are we heading to? Are they able to curb corruption? we are fooling ourselves.
with the autonomous status given to many of the psus the interference is tamed to max possible limit and now its the board of directors of the respective psu to come up and do something.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
HMT resurrection ? I like Private players but HMT can give what needed ? Only time will tell..

Now days OFB doing pretty good work if not better towards quality..

agentperry

HMT resurrection ? I like Private players but HMT can give what needed ? Only time will tell..

Now days OFB doing pretty good work if not better towards quality..
sir, butt pvt industries are also bringing in foreign weapon with desi tag. they have something but i dont what our supreme army wants. (no sarcasm intended)

venkat

sir, butt pvt industries are also bringing in foreign weapon with desi tag. they have something but i dont what our supreme army wants. (no sarcasm intended)
you are referring to sir butt and you say no sarcasm!!!1:rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles