Hindus upset as Portland brewery readies to release "Kali-Ma" beer

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
LB, I hope you know that you are criticizing trivialization of our culture without defining it in the first place :D

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Our culture is extremely complex and abstract. I can't really 'define it', but I want to ensure that the people who do 'define ' and shape it in the future remain loyal to India :D

Reactions: KS

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
What if it was Allah's Beer?

The Beer, The Beerwala, The Beerwala's God and The Beerwala's Holy Book would be in :toilet:

Tronic

Because unlike Hinduism, Greek Paganism is a dead religion. The correct Analogy would be say...a Jesus branded condom (with suitable graphic depiction) or something similar.

Even though I'm not religious, I can understand that the picture is going to offend people.
Can't speak on behalf of Hindus, but, could the acceptance of Hindu mythology being used more widely in the West actually have positive results for Hinduism? I would love to see Hollywood flicks depicting the Ramayan or Mahabharat (the special effects would be much better than the cheesy Indian ones), and it would tremendously expand the audience to Hindu mythology.

Much like how a series of media releases have brought Greek mythology back to the forefront, resulting in several revived Paganistic organizations.

Heck, even the God of War series, which is now heading towards being turned into a movie, itself has given a tremendous boost to Greek mythology.

I think being more open to the use of Hindu mythology in the West will only help in culturally empowering Hinduism.

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Can't speak on behalf of Hindus, but, could the acceptance of Hindu mythology being used more widely in the West actually have positive results for Hinduism? I would love to see Hollywood flicks depicting the Ramayan or Mahabharat (the special effects would be much better than the cheesy Indian ones), and it would tremendously expand the audience to Hindu mythology.

Much like how a series of media releases have brought Greek mythology back to the forefront, resulting in several revived Paganistic organizations.

Heck, even the God of War series, which is now heading towards being turned into a movie, itself has given a tremendous boost to Greek mythology.

I think being more open to the use of Hindu mythology in the West will only help in culturally empowering Hinduism.
I cant believe I actually Liked your Post :shocked:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
How would I know ? Start a poll in your hometown and get answers.

All I care about is misappropriation of our icons. Kalimark (does it literally mean Kali Mark ?) is an Indian brand so that's not a cause for concern.
1. So do we Own it?, If So How?

2. And No I know what Hindu Nazis will say, it will not be acceptable to sell beer with the Kali Ma trade mark. Is it not Hypocrisy that most of these so called protecters of culture actually drinkers themselves? So if you think it is blasphemous to use the Kali Ma name for the Beer company, then is it not blasphemous to drink it?

3. Another Similiar Point. Some One who revers Weed too much was fighting with me on an unrelated thread about how weed is used by sages:lol: and Siva devotees(Aghoris). So Will it be acceptable for them to make Ganja with Siva Brand on them:troll:????

Yes, it trivializes our culture to a wide audience
So what? What have the Hindu Nazis done to improve the cultural reach of India, or Hinduism

Read the article. They've de-linked Yoga from India and called it common "Proto-Indo-European" heritage.

Some have gone further and come up with "Christian Yoga".

In simpler terms (with examples)

1. These guys try to take control of sophisticated Indian philosophical works by terming it as common "Proto-Indo-European" heritage.
My point was that, this is similiar to the Hindu Nazis saying that the "ONLY" Brahminical aspects of the Hinduism are true. Just like the Europeans are trying to steal our greatness as theirs- Hope you catch my meaning

2. At the same time, while assimilating all the good parts. They'll never call the caste system "Proto-Indo-European heritage" :lol:
I thought you would say there was no such thing as caste discrimination in India:notsure:

SO you do believe that Hinduism has only Brahmanical aspects?:troll:. No I dont believe in Periyar's theories;)

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
why not because we are not shameless pig like them

we are Indian and govt should give the strong message either stop it or we will break our all relation with the country
Thanks for proving my point. You Act exactly like the Typical Hindu Zealot. Look, If you dont want to drink that beer, then dont drink it.

Also, When you people cry so much about the Mullahs of Muslims, why are you behaving worse than them?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why hindus should get angry at some kali-ma beer when hindus themselves disrespect their Gods.Loads of Hindu Gods Pics are littered in trashbins by hindus themselves in india.isnt it a hypocrisy on their part.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Why muslims should get enraged at terrorism when many muslims participate in it with full dedication and vigor?
Aren't you generalizing and extrapolating things here?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Why hindus should get angry at some kali-ma beer when hindus themselves disrespect their Gods.Loads of Hindu Gods Pics are littered in trashbins by hindus themselves in india.isnt it a hypocrisy on their part.
So you are not that big a troll as claimed by many?:heh:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Why muslims should get enraged at terrorism when many muslims participate in it with full dedication and vigor?
Aren't you generalizing and extrapolating things here?
Exactly, when we point out hypocrisy of others, we should ourselves be free from hypocrisy;)

LalTopi

Kali-Ma???

Holy Mary Mother of God, what will these dudes think of next.

Actually - Holy Mary - that's a good name for a beer !

Ah no - forgot about bloody mary - yuck how sick.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
We have learned too much from Islamic rules and rulers lol :D

We haven't stopped cow slaughter effectively in India but we blame foreign companies for anti-Hindu acts :doh:

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
Brilliant, I love it. That is going to be one strong beer, drink it and ---- some baddies up latter in a proper bar brawl! College, How I miss it.... damn

KS

Bye bye DFI
A proper research on the part of the company, especially in an age when religious groups tend to get 'offended' whether their ad is good.

Instead going on a stupid stereotype from the Indiana Jones movie sheds a negative light on their brand choosing practise, if not at others.

Adux

Country flag
I don't want to "preserve culture" or "patent it". I want India and Indians to maintain ideological control over their own icons and philosophy.
As far as I know, Hollywood has patents over Roman Civilization now ;), you want it, do it first.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles