Hindus upset as Portland brewery readies to release "Kali-Ma" beer

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Because unlike Hinduism, Greek Paganism is a dead religion. The correct Analogy would be say...a Jesus branded condom (with suitable graphic depiction) or something similar.
For the supposed liberal American society, I think that such an issue will be offensive , which I find rather odd. I mean seriously? Sex is wrong even now, though we are living in 21st century? Anyway, thats another matter of debate, but if we look beyond the usual rhetoric and open our mind, I dont think there is anything wrong with Jesus condoms

Even though I'm not religious, I can understand that the picture is going to offend people.
Again, The picture should not be offensive. But then again , this is not Utopia. Understandable.

But think about it, lets take away the labels and offensive poster. Will the Hindus be OK with the Kali mark Beer, which does not show a offensive picture?

H.A.

Even Muslims can be upset as their 'Kalima' is depicted as a Hindu Goddess! ;)
Took time for me to figure out the meaning of the statement, were you referring to the Hoogly incident?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
It isn't an advertisement, but rather trivialization of our "culture". Was India's culture advertised in Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom ? ;)

American elite is smart, you know that they attempted to delink Yoga from Hinduism ?

Hindu Group Stirs a Debate Over Yoga's Soul
But you dint answer my other question."But think about it, lets take away the labels and offensive poster. Will the Hindus be OK with the Kali mark Beer, which does not show a offensive picture?"

And believe it or not, these trivial representations have a far reaching audiences than the complex ones which we can come up with

Third, whats big deal on delinking Hinduism from Yoga. We still get to say India Owns Yoga;)

Is it any different from what some guys try to do here in DFI, by refusing to accept the Non-Brahmanical aspects of Hinduism as a part of Hinduism :p?

Man, the more I stay here on DFI, the more my view gets aligned with PARAM's view:hmm:.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
hindus should not be offended as alcoholic beverages and non-vegetarian food and sacrifices are already being offered to the goddess.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Actually, I support the move because I don't like foreigners misappropriating our iconography
We do not have copyrights or patents over it. US is a free society. We have a lot of learning to do as far as regulation of industry goes from the eyes of religious glasses.

You can not define rules about how people get offended, its a arbitrary subject.

If you start suppressing human creativity in the name of preserving culture, you might never be able to create a new one. Those who don't like it are better off staying away. Nobody is being forced.

Having said that, general country-specific laws against profanity & nudity should be exercised regardless of any conditional context.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Actually, I support the move because I don't like foreigners misappropriating our iconography
We do not have copyrights or patents over it. US is a free society. We have a lot of learning to do as far as regulation of industry goes from the eyes of religious glasses.

You can not define rules about how people get offended, its a arbitrary subject.

If you start suppressing human creativity in the name of preserving culture, you might never be able to create a new one. Those who don't like it are better off staying away. Nobody is being forced.

Having said that, general country-specific laws against profanity & nudity should be exercised regardless of any conditional context.
actually, i support lurker baba here.

nrj, you are arguing just for the shake of it. you will not be happy if i put your mom's pic on a commercial beer. likewise, many hindus believe and worship the goddess on par or above their own physical mother. so hindus have full authority to protest. let me ask you this, would americans be happy if put pic of jesus in a commercial condoms with a catch line "jesus saves"? - NO, all missionaries would be gunning for me and there i cannot say "You can not define rules about how people get offended, its a arbitrary subject. " :taunt:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Will the Hindus be OK with the Kali mark Beer, which does not show a offensive picture?[/U][/I]"
How would I know ? Start a poll in your hometown and get answers.

All I care about is misappropriation of our icons. Kalimark (does it literally mean Kali Mark ?) is an Indian brand so that's not a cause for concern.

And believe it or not, these trivial representations have a far reaching audiences than the complex ones which we can come up with
Yes, it trivializes our culture to a wide audience

Third, whats big deal on delinking Hinduism from Yoga. We still get to say India Owns Yoga;)
Read the article. They've de-linked Yoga from India and called it common "Proto-Indo-European" heritage.

Some have gone further and come up with "Christian Yoga".

In simpler terms (with examples)

1. These guys try to take control of sophisticated Indian philosophical works by terming it as common "Proto-Indo-European" heritage.
2. At the same time, while assimilating all the good parts. They'll never call the caste system "Proto-Indo-European heritage" :lol:

Is it any different from what some guys try to do here in DFI, by refusing to accept the Non-Brahmanical aspects of Hinduism as a part of Hinduism :p?

Man, the more I stay here on DFI, the more my view gets aligned with PARAM's view:hmm:.
You can contribute more here http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...2-periyar-dravidian-ideological-movement.html :troll:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

I don't want to "preserve culture" or "patent it". I want India and Indians to maintain ideological control over their own icons and philosophy.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
nrj, you are arguing just for the shake of it. you will not be happy if i put your mom's pic on a commercial beer.
Act of illegally using name/photographs/property of any living/dead person associated with me or anyone else is liable for court action.

likewise, many hindus believe and worship the goddess on par or above their own physical mother. so hindus have full authority to protest.
They have authority to protest on the grounds that they are offended. One can get offended over anything. This has been discussed before too.

Tell me are you going to protest against cow meat now, because it offends me. People eat non-veg sandwich in public places, it offends me. How you going to define rules over it?

let me ask you this, would americans be happy if put pic of jesus in a commercial condoms with a catch line "jesus saves"? - NO, all missionaries would be gunning for me and there i cannot say "You can not define rules about how people get offended, its a arbitrary subject. " :taunt:
Apparently it has been said many times. All religions & communities including christians needs to get past this crap. One can not control it.

Those nutheads in Rome should be shot. Last time I checked someone preached the Africans not to use condom. You know what was the reaction? Someone designed the graphic similar to the description you mentioned. That graphic is far more offending for any religious person. Atheists don't give crap about it. Its out there, missionaries or people who got offended can not do jack about it. I am restricted by site's policy or I'd have shared the pic here.

Last edited:

arya

Country flag
If they can have Zeus Brand of Beers or Thor Brand of Beers, why not the Kali mark Beers?:troll:

I mean seriously? Is it worth even the trouble. Anyway, I am beginning to think that we Indians are becoming more and more Irrational these days(or May be Hindus alone ,:notsure:)
why not because we are not shameless pig like them

we are Indian and govt should give the strong message either stop it or we will break our all relation with the country

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't want to "preserve culture" or "patent it". I want India and Indians to maintain ideological control over their own icons and philosophy.
I guess cows are also icons of Indian ideology ?

The great philosophy says that you should not allow cow as a meat food. People eat it in front of your eyes, is it not offending? How you exercise ideological control over it?

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Act of illegally using name/photographs/property of any living/dead person associated with me or anyone else is liable for court action.

They have authority to protest on the grounds that they are offended. One can get offended over anything. This has been discussed before too.

Tell me are you going to protest against cow meat now, because it offends me. People eat non-veg sandwich in public places, it offends me. How you going to define rules over it?

Apparently it has been said many times. All religions & communities including christians needs to get past this crap. One can not control it.

Those nutheads in Rome should be shot. Last time I checked someone preached the Africans not to use condom. You know what was the reaction? Someone designed the graphic similar to the description you mentioned. Its out there, missionaries or people who got offended can not do jack about it. I am restricted by site's policy or I'd have shared the pic here.
again, you are just arguing for the shake of it. you are not making any points here. if your are offended when some-one is consuming meat, then go-ahead and protest.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
again, you are just arguing for the shake of it. you are not making any points here. if your are offended when some-one is consuming meat, then go-ahead and protest.
It is you who is not replying to the points.

And Its amazing to see hypocrisy of people offended over use of deity's name on some product but not with meat of their own goddess.

50 bucks on possibility that the controversy was fueled by rival beverage company.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I guess cows are also icons of Indian ideology ?
Lawyerji, baal ki khaal mat nikalo :p

The great philosophy says that you should not allow cow as a meat food. People eat it in front of your eyes, is it not offending? How you exercise ideological control over it?
This is not a case of misappropriation of Indian culture/philosophy/icons. I wouldn't mind eating beef myself.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Lawyerji, baal ki khaal mat nikalo :p

This is not a case of misappropriation of Indian culture/philosophy/icons. I wouldn't mind eating beef myself.
There was this Russell Brand's video on laws relating to being offended. I shared it sometime back on a thread. It seems that BBC has pulled it off now. Watch it if you can get hands on it. Video sums up the situation very well ;)

Being Offended - YouTube

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
There was this Russell Brand's video on laws relating to being offended. I shared it sometime back on a thread. It seems that BBC has pulled it off now. Watch it if you can get hands on it. Video sums up the situation very well ;)

Being Offended - YouTube
I'm not offended in the religious sense. What disapprove of is the plagiarism and trivialization of our culture by foreigners .

These guys see India via their own biased lens (understandable, after all everyone is biased). But, as the West controls international media, Indians start seeing themselves through a western lens !

More articulate: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...dia-allowed-foreigners-shape-idea-itself.html

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
In that case, smart innocent Indians should entirely reject the bad boy west & its relevant creations including portrayal of India by its media. Afterall our culture is a very specific subject & maybe 10-15 pages are enough to define it ;)

Say no to Kali maa beer, only Old Monk !

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Why reject the West ? Tango with it, but carefully. At the same time, try to loosen their hold over international media

Our Culture should be defined by Indians. As it's a complex subject, gross simplification and trivialization by the West should be discouraged :D

+1 To Old Monk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles