Hindus demand removal of 'offensive ad' by Burger King

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jul 8, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Hindus demand removal of 'offensive ad' by Burger King
    8 Jul 2009, 1300 hrs IST, AGENCIES

WASHINGTON: A US-based Hindu advocacy group has asked American fast food chain Burger King to immediately remove an advertisement campaign featuring goddess Lakshmi, which it says is "offensive" to the people of the faith.

Washington-based Hindu American Foundation said Burger King is running a print advertisement in Spain that depicts an image of the goddess seated atop a meat sandwich and other foodstuffs with the catch phrase, "A snack that's sacred," in Spanish.

In the letter written to the company, the HAF has also sought an apology from it for demonstrating lack of cultural and religious sensitivity in this case.

"An advertisement knowingly and intentionally using sacred symbols, especially those of another religious tradition for purely commercial purposes can be offensive in and of itself," said Suhag Shukla, managing director and legal counsel for the Foundation.
    Hindus demand removal of 'offensive ad' by Burger King - US - World - The Times of India

3. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

The ad in question

[​IMG]

4. Koji

Koji New Member

If this is removed, then all religious advertisement should be removed.

5. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Yes, Off course, surely , why not, I firmly believe Religion can touch your heart when you feel him through your inner sense but not through any advertisement.

Regards

6. Koji

Koji New Member

But I daresay that Burger King will probably not revoke their ad campaign, given that Hindus are not usually their costumers.

7. Pintu

Pintu New Member

^^^ but strikes their sentiments and this is evident with any religion , it can be nothing for an atheist but more than enough for theist. To me this is a moral obligation to honour other's religion whether you follow it or not.

Regards

8. Pintu

Pintu New Member

It is simply not the question that who are burger king's customer and who are or not it is simply honouring other's sentiment.

Regards

9. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Well, all I see is a cupcake(maybe with egg as an ingredient), a donut and a burger without meat. Burger King has tried to make it as non-controversial as possible.

Nevertheless, its best to avoid ads that only end up hurting the sentiments of a community or a religion.

@Koji
    A lot of Hindus eat meat. Only Brahmins and a few others don't eat meat.

10. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Burger King can retain the ad as long they've convinced themselves they don't want to sell burgers in India.

VHP must be already putting together its burger brigade :)

11. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

^^^^^Ha ha.

12. Koji

Koji New Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding Prada. I was unaware of the caste-distinctions on diet.

13. Pintu

Pintu New Member

And there is also a regional difference on that , as a Bengali I can say, only Baishnav sect of Hinduism and handful of Brahmin Family are strict vegeterian except that all the Bengali Hindus eat meat. However, there are other areas in India where Hindu Bramhins are strictly vegetarian.

Regards

14. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

Burger King can advertise whatever they want (freedom of expression) but I do not understand what they are trying to achive here.

What message was this supposed to give out?

15. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Who says Brahmins don't eat meat.

I know of many who eat beef!

The world has changed.

Everyone eats in restaurants and hotels. Who knows what is served?

Hakuna matata

16. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

your right sir

i my self being a Brahmin do eat meat though sparsly but then i belive that being a bhramin that a true barhamin is one who under stands the cosmos and his unity with it

but as u said

Hakuna matata

17. Koji

Koji New Member

Do assume that non-Brahmins cannot understand this "unity of the Cosmos"?

18. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

He's talking about Brahman as a concept, not a caste.

19. Ray

Are you aware what is a Brahman my Japanese friend?

Brahman (bráhman-, nominative bráhma ब्रह्म) is a concept of Hinduism. Brahman is the unchanging, infinite, immanent, and transcendent reality which is the Divine Ground of all matter, energy, time, space, being, and everything beyond in this Universe in the Hindu religion. The nature of Brahman is described as transpersonal, personal and impersonal by different philosophical schools. In the Rig Veda, Brahman gives rise to the primordial being Hiranyagarbha that is equated with the creator God Brahmā. The trimurti can thus be considered a personification of Hiranyagarbha as the active principle behind the phenomena of the universe.

The word "Brahman" is derived from the verb brh (Sanskrit: to grow), and connotes greatness. The Mundaka Upanishad says:

Om- That supreme Brahman is infinite, and this conditioned Brahman is infinite. The infinite proceeds from infinite. Then through knowledge, realizing the infinitude of the infinite, it remains as infinite alone.

Hope it did not go over your head.

The concept is so complex and esoteric that it does go over the head of many!

20. Ray

Mao Tse Tung devouring Chinese people with blood oozing out of his mouth with the Cultural Revolution in the background would be a very luring and successful meat product selling theme!

I am sure the Chinese would love that!

Or maybe an ad that shows the Chinese delicacy - dogs being eaten to show that meat products, whatever they be are delicious! Ask the Chinese!

It maybe recalled that Dogs were prohibited to be on the menu during the Olympics!

Why so? if the Chinese love eating dogs, then they should not care a damn!

21. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

Koji lets just for the sake of arugment say that a true bhramin understands that he is nothing but a singular beed in this vast and immense chain called the universe