Hindu families from Pakistan seek refuge in India

Rage

DFI TEAM

7 Mar 2009, 2115 hrs IST, PTI

AMRITSAR: Stating that they do not wish to return to Pakistan due to the tyranny of the Taliban in the tribal areas, a group 35 Hindus, nearly half of them women, from the neighbouring country have crossed over to India and asked the government to allow them to settle in this country.

"We were living in Pakistan under extreme fear due to the domination of a strong group of Taliban who are running a parallel government," Jagdish Sharma, a resident of tribal area near Peshawar in Pakistan, said.

Recounting their ordeal, he said "Hindus and Sikh families are not safe, especially our women. We preferred to migrate to India, at least here in India we know that our families will be safe."

The four families comprising 16 men, 16 women and three children crossed over to India during the last few days through the Attari check post and later went to Delhi where they received a one-year visa and permission to stay in Amritsar.

"We strongly urge the Government of India to allow us to stay here in India permanently, since we don't want to move back in that hell where there is no life security," said Sharma.

Hardwari Lal, resident of Orkzai nearly 180 km from Peshawar, said, "I was running my grocery shop there which was forcibly taken over by fundamentalists who also took possession of our entire property".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-seek-refuge-in-India/articleshow/4239397.cms

ahmedsid

Top Gun
These People should be given Asylum immediately and Politics should not be played in their case. These People want to live in India as they Know they will be safe here than they were in their homeland. We should give them every help they need. From Times immemorable India has given refuge to the oppressed, right from the Jews.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
These People should be given Asylum immediately and Politics should not be played in their case. These People want to live in India as they Know they will be safe here than they were in their homeland. We should give them every help they need. From Times immemorable India has given refuge to the oppressed, right from the Jews.
I agree with your point on a humanitarian level. But the problem is that these sort of issues are bound to be politicised.

Will India become the de-facto home for all asylum seekers in the world? How will you differentiate between the different sets of asylum seekers ???

What if a Buddhist from Tibet applied for Asylum?
What if a Hindu from Nepal applied for Asylum?
What if a Muslim from Saudi Arabia wanted Asylum?
What if a Jew wanted to come to India instead of Israel?
What if a Chrisitan said he's being oppressed in Zimbabwe and applied for asylum to us?

How would you treat all of these cases??? The policy of the Indian Government as far as asylum seekers is concerned is not very clear.

What if, these people, God forbid, happened to be brainwashed Taliban militants wanting to sneak in?? How will you verify ???

EnlightenedMonk

And, the issues are infinitely more complicated because of the fact that we are a SECULAR Republic. If these Hindus are given asylum today, and tomorrow a Muslim family were refused asylum, don't you think it'd end up being a political issue???

Won't the Muslims be up in arms then ??? Won't they question the actual secularity of our country ??? These are all issues that need to be considered before one grants or rejects asylum.

And, of course, our country doesn't seem to have a credible asylum policy in place. Our policy has been not to have a policy... :D:D:D:D

ahmedsid

Top Gun
We all know Hindus and Christians are not treated very well in Pakistan. I would suggest we take them up on a Humanitarian basis and I never said India is the defacto place where all asylum seekers must converge, What I meant is that, We got a long tradition of Helping the oppressed, though we seem to have diluted it now a days.

Muslims from Pakistan wont apply for asylum in India, why would they? If they are rejected, I wouldnt mind either. Why would I? We all Made choices and My family chose India, while theirs chose Pakistan. Now bear with it.

But the Hindu/Christian families In pakistan didnt make a choice, they had no choice but to stay on. M.A Jinnah had a Vision of a Secular Pakistan, and these people would have flourished under him, but Sadly he didnt survive that long and with Him died, Secularism in pakistan.

EnlightenedMonk

That's exactly what I'm trying to say Ahmed, you can't just let in people from one country and refuse to let in people from another country.

What if a Saudi Muslim applied for asylum saying that he didn't have enough freedom in that country and India provided him more freedom?

It leaves many important questions unanswered...

But yes, I agree, we have a long heritage of letting in the oppressed and give them a lot of freedom. We seem to have diluted that recently, but remember during the Bangaldesh war a lot of refugees came in and they never went back and now are citizens of this country...

Let's make a clear distinction between humanitarianism and politics. Though I empathise with them in a humanitarian sense, I know this is a political banana-skin....

ahmedsid

Top Gun
You are correct, But the way you are talking makes India look like the USA or Europe where people seek asylum, We dont get that many asylum seekers, Hence we dont have elaborate laws regarding it. If someone living under an oppressive regime wants freedom, the first place he/she will try to escape to will be the US or Europe, and not India because we Have a Long way to go as far as Standard of Living etc are concerned. Not far in the future, India will need asylum laws., not now. Now Humanity can be the criteria for asylum.

EnlightenedMonk

By the way, being a Muslim, I wanted your opinion on a particular subject.

Just like Israel is the homeland for Jews, would you feel insecure if India became the undeclared homeland for all Hindus (with a Right to Return act and all).

For example, if the Government adopted a policy saying that any Hindu from any country could easily return to India and that he would get immediate citizenship, do you think the minorities here would feel threatened?

This is an honest question I've wanted to ask for a long time... I wouldn't mind it since I am a Hindu. But, as a Muslim, would this make any difference at all to you?

And, what about other minorities???

ShyAngel

Founding Member
You are correct, But the way you are talking makes India look like the USA or Europe where people seek asylum, We dont get that many asylum seekers, Hence we dont have elaborate laws regarding it. If someone living under an oppressive regime wants freedom, the first place he/she will try to escape to will be the US or Europe, and not India because we Have a Long way to go as far as Standard of Living etc are concerned. Not far in the future, India will need asylum laws., not now. Now Humanity can be the criteria for asylum.
Amen! That's exactly what's on my mind. I don't think Indian government is that stupid not to have any idea about who they are giving asylum to. It's also our moral duty to support as best as we could and welcome these people who are in need of help.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I wouldnt mind it If Hindus get a right to come back and get Immediate citizenships, But I would not be happy with India being Declared a Hindu Rashtra, I would oppose it, Because If India was to be a Hindu Rashtra, then We Muslims wouldnt have stayed on in India. Muslim/Christian/Sikh/Parsi and others bloods were spilt in equal amounts to get India into existence and I wouldnt want any one Religion to have dominance over another.

Lastly, Judaism has a Promised Land Concept, thats why Israel Exists, But does Hinduism have something akin to it? I dont think so. Then, Do you think, all the Hindus living aboard in USA or Europe would want to come back, Unless they do it ala Swades, with development on their minds and not religion ;)

ShyAngel

Founding Member

7 Mar 2009, 2115 hrs IST, PTI

AMRITSAR: Stating that they do not wish to return to Pakistan due to the tyranny of the Taliban in the tribal areas, a group 35 Hindus, nearly half of them women, from the neighbouring country have crossed over to India and asked the government to allow them to settle in this country.

"We were living in Pakistan under extreme fear due to the domination of a strong group of Taliban who are running a parallel government," Jagdish Sharma, a resident of tribal area near Peshawar in Pakistan, said.

Recounting their ordeal, he said "Hindus and Sikh families are not safe, especially our women. We preferred to migrate to India, at least here in India we know that our families will be safe."

The four families comprising 16 men, 16 women and three children crossed over to India during the last few days through the Attari check post and later went to Delhi where they received a one-year visa and permission to stay in Amritsar.

"We strongly urge the Government of India to allow us to stay here in India permanently, since we don't want to move back in that hell where there is no life security," said Sharma.

Hardwari Lal, resident of Orkzai nearly 180 km from Peshawar, said, "I was running my grocery shop there which was forcibly taken over by fundamentalists who also took possession of our entire property".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-seek-refuge-in-India/articleshow/4239397.cms
This is like so sad! Can you imagine not being safe at where you live....? That's insane! All because they chose to believe something that these taliban don't. It's so sad! I hope they will get to stay in indian for ever!

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
That does not make sence. They could have passed through Indian Immigration but how did they pass Pakistani without visa?

EnlightenedMonk

I wouldnt mind it If Hindus get a right to come back and get Immediate citizenships, But I would not be happy with India being Declared a Hindu Rashtra, I would oppose it, Because If India was to be a Hindu Rashtra, then We Muslims wouldnt have stayed on in India. Muslim/Christian/Sikh/Parsi and others bloods were spilt in equal amounts to get India into existence and I wouldnt want any one Religion to have dominance over another.

Lastly, Judaism has a Promised Land Concept, thats why Israel Exists, But does Hinduism have something akin to it? I dont think so. Then, Do you think, all the Hindus living aboard in USA or Europe would want to come back, Unless they do it ala Swades, with development on their minds and not religion ;)
Yes, Hinduism doesn't have the promised land concept.

Thanks for your opinion.... My feelings exactly...

EnlightenedMonk

That does not make sence. They could have passed through Indian Immigration but how did they pass Pakistani without visa?
They might have come with a tourist visa and then applied for asylum. So, their visa type would have to be converted. Because, as far as my knowledge goes you don't get a Tourist visa for an year...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Otherwise, they could have bribed their way through! Now dont tel me this aint possible, it is I feel.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
A Pakistani can not get a tourist visa of India. Its either official or family sponsored. Plus crossing can only be on train or bus. Cross by foot is also not allowed

EnlightenedMonk

A Pakistani can not get a tourist visa of India. Its either official or family sponsored. Plus crossing can only be on train or bus. Cross by foot is also not allowed
Are you sure about this??? Especially when you claim that Pakistanis cannot get Tourist visas????

If this is true, it is truly shocking.... but, of course, the decision might have been taken to avoid security complications....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles