High Speed Railway Corridor

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
High speed is good.

Who will organise the infrastructure to achieve it?

That is the question!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Show-off.

Just increase the safety of the existing trains, increase amenities in existing wagons, introduce more Rajdhani/Shatabdi, introduce metro line in major tier I and tier II cities...

Then we can go for high speed trains.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I would say we need to hit the 250 kmph mark, and htat would be a necessity, but going upto 350 kmph would probably be a salamander measuring contest.
The question is will people in India use that train considering huge money involved and thus rise in train fare.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
i think its not reasonble to compare air fare in india vs HST fare in china. different country has different living cost. its like compare US air fare vs india air fare.

HST is good for high population desity area. also with price of oil raising, its time to upgrade the railway.
However the cost of train fare was same in both countries for normal superexpress trains. So this cost of living argument doesnt make sense.

pmaitra

The question is will people in India use that train considering huge money involved and thus rise in train fare.
I think so, although a market survey has to be done to come to a more reliable conclusion. The reason I think it is feasible is that people often shell out a lot of money travelling by means other than railways and do pay a lot of money. Also, not all trains will have to be HSR. Those that are not can continue with the current or reasonably increased fares.

KS

Bye bye DFI
And first people must be made to pay for train tickets and their civic sense improved before giving them the goodies.

I dont want to see trains introduced at the cost of 1000s of crores and people travelling ticketless or just spitting whatever they chew out in the open.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think so, although a market survey has to be done to come to a more reliable conclusion. The reason I think it is feasible is that people often shell out a lot of money travelling by means other than railways and do pay a lot of money. Also, not all trains will have to be HSR. Those that are not can continue with the current or reasonably increased fares.
Do you know that air fare in India is among the cheapest in the World ? So i doubt anybody would pay 30% extra money only to travel on HSR train.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
^^^ And who will pay for the loss incurred in running High speed railway.
However the cost of train fare was same in both countries for normal superexpress trains. So this cost of living argument doesnt make sense.
Why do you think there will be loss ?? Railway minister says we don't have tracks to increase the number of trains than simply increase the speed of trains or build new tracks for these old fat ass trains and you know, I don't think building new tracks for old trains would be great idea.And would you please put those fares of chinese trains and air india you're talking about, I mean the comparison.
Speed is essential and I'm sure chinese and indian railways have a lot of differences including fares.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Do you know that air fare in India is among the cheapest in the World ? So i doubt anybody would pay 30% extra money only to travel on HSR train.
And so we have AI crisis ringing our doorbells......

s002wjh

Country flag
its not just about cost but time. its faster to goto train station get on train then travel to a near by city than fly. doesn't have to be HST, but efficient and has reasonable speed between major cities.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Why do you think there will be loss ?? Railway minister says we don't have tracks to increase the number of trains than simply increase the speed of trains or build new tracks for these old fat ass trains and you know, I don't think building new tracks for old trains would be great idea.And would you please put those fares of chinese trains and air india you're talking about, I mean the comparison.
Speed is essential and I'm sure chinese and indian railways have a lot of differences including fares.
distance : 1300 km

air fare in india : Rs 4100
TRain fare HST : Rs 7000-9000

time air : 2 hrs
train : 4 hr 30 mins

Even you can search online.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Air Fare will go up as oil prices rise, HSR doesn't have the same problem.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Air Fare will go up as oil prices rise, HSR doesn't have the same problem.
What cost of coal is increasing at a very high rate ?

I think India should consider building aircraft , so that we can cost one component low .

pmaitra

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
HSR is in no way a necessity, it is a luxury. It is financially unfeasible as a mass transit system. China is finding this out with half a trillion dollars in debt and not even half way into their building plan.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
If we look at the state of affairs of IR, it's a mess, a bigger mess financially. The IR, the way it is functioning right now is a huge and an unnecessary strain on the exchequer, unfortunately when a sane voice like Dinesh Trivedi emerges, we know what happens.

With a HST in place, the IR is possibly looking at a business from where a sustainable business model can be created and a constant profit making venture over a period of time. You don't need to subsidize, the market will pretty much dictate the pricing, and over all a healthy business model can take shape, at least that is what I speculate.

A few concerns I have. What sort of a role will the private players play? What sort of a stake will they be allowed? With the way our bureaucracy works, be that of any department, wont it be better that HST is allowed to be run by private corporate houses, IR becomes the facilitator and creator, and they cash on that facilitation and creation, than be the one which has a stake in everything and runs/does everything? If the IR can limit itself to just a few operations and let the private enterprises do the rest, yes, it is workable.

Is there a market for such a facility, I think there is. Flights from delhi and Bombay are regularly getting delayed during the peak hours, the state of affairs of Indian aviation isn't great, quite a few want to avoid air travel but don't have a decent replacement option, HST can help decongest cities, and much more. If HST can create a market share of around 5-10% of the total daily passenger traffic of IR and India aviation, I would imagine the investment would come out as a necessity than as a status symbol.

On a similar note, are expressways a status symbol or a necessity? Are the metros and the monorails a status symbol or a necessity? Are fancy and modern airports a status symbol or a necessity? I think in all the three examples the latter option, of necessity, has been proven to be true. Can the metros and monorails or the expressways or the modern and fancy airports be compared with HST? If HST can garner the market share, and reap profits, sure a comparison worth it.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Invest today for tomorrow and day after.
India has always started scampering when the problem becomes neck deep. We started building roads in the 21st century while we sat on our haunches for fifty years.

What happened in China cannot be compared to India. Half the stuff the Chinese ( read CPC) does is to show off to the world, to show it has "advanced and arrived". Then there is this necessity for propaganda as well and then there is a necessity to keep spending to keep the GDP up. Remember the Ghost Towns?

India is not going to be stupid. There are corridors that are so heavy with two way transportation that no amount of services is enough. All the current train, bus and private transportation services including cars clog these roads.

I was on the highway from mumbai to vadodra. Fantastic roads but barely able to hit 80 because of the traffic. Private cars taking up so much space.

The railways have identified six corridors for high speed rail. They are spot on.

Bangalore-Chennai
Mumbai-Ahmedabad via Vadodra
Bangalore-Hyderabad are the routes I know in the south.
I think delhi Jaipur is also a high traffic zone.

I don't think if HSL is introduced on these routes they would suffer from lack of traffic and any loss.

Private partnership is a must. In fact entire project must me left to private consortiums.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles