High Speed Railway Corridor

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
This is an absurd line of thought. Xenophobia is inimical to business in diverse societies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per @mayfair's numbers, at a modest ticket cost of INR 3000 and 50 roundtrips (total of 100), we should recover the investment in only 10 years. This is excluding all the licensing income we would net from businesses that will spring up around the stations. Seems like a good deal.
@mayfair -- Mumbai-Pune distance is 500km though, and at even at an average speed of 300 kmph the train can at most make 15 trips? They will need to increase ticket prices by a lot if they plan on recovering the costs in a decade or two.

mayfair

@mayfair -- Mumbai-Pune distance is 500km though, and at even at an average speed of 300 kmph the train can at most make 15 trips? They will need to increase ticket prices by a lot if they plan on recovering the costs in a decade or two.
Mumbai Pune is 500km? You mean Mumbai-Ahmedabad.

It won't be one train running would it? During peak hours on the Tokaido-Shinkansen, there are as many as THIRTEEN, 13 trains running in one direction that is 13 x 2= 26, TWENTY SIX trains running in both directions EVERY HOUR. The number is constrained because of lower operational speeds.

Mumbai-Ahmedabad will see similar numbers. Now extrapolate them to 16 hours a day (leaving 8 hours for maintenance; actually Shinkansen downtime is only 5-6 hours or so) and you'll get very good numbers of trips every day.

IndianHawk

Country flag
You should understand that you are gonna pay for it one way or another. Japanese are not there to do charity project, they expect profitable returns when investing so heavily.

So the question would be in which way Japanese are gonna recover the investment and make a profit?
Same way the entire world is investing into India. That's what a growing economy does. It takes cheap loan provides goods and services to people and makes profit .

Bullet loan has to be repaid in 50 years.the way Indian economy is growing I guess loan would be paid pack in 30 years at most. In just 10-12 years Indian economy will quadruple . Japanese know this that is why they were comfortable with low interest rate . When investment is secure interest rates go down.

Aghore_King

Country flag
Japanese has been doing this for many years...they calls this yen carry trade...

IndianHawk

Country flag
HSR is the feed or improvement. You need to convert all the metre gauge to broad gauge in the main network and when you are doing that you need to consider that these tracks can sustain HSR and rail stressing. Otherwise it's of no use. Bullet is the part of that improvement. It is costly but we are learning something out of it.
Exactly. Also they are going to introduce several semi high-speed trains too. Up to 200km speed. Delhi - Chandigarh Should be the first such train. Spanish talgo also completed Delhi- Mumbai journey in 12 hours ( 4 hours less than what rajdhani does.)

In India average speed of trains is between 50-70 km/ hr. So simple measure like track strengthening. Enclosing track by wiring , removing all manual crossing can update average speed to 90 km/hr. On majority of tracks.

Also dedicated freight corridors ( eastern and western ) will free up track for more passenger trains. That means more frequency that means more trains with less coaches that means faster trains .

sorcerer

Country flag
View: Why anti-bullet train arguments are idiotic

By Anuvab Pal
I cannot understand the arguments for not having abullet train
. I cannot understand why getting somewhere faster is a bad thing. I don't really see the joy of a crumbling rain infrastructure that takes people five hours to get from Bombay to Pune when a pigeon can fly faster. :pound:

The arguments for any development project in India always seems to be that the money can be better used somewhere else. When someone funds a quick train, millions on social media say: why not different trains? Why not feed the poor? Why not every other thing that isn't this train? To which the government says: um, why not this train? At least it is something.

Logically, distance suggests a Mumbai-Delhi train ride can be done in 8 hours, and it is criminal, if not mad — and we've all got used to being 'mad' with our transportation — that there isn't a train between Mumbai and Bengaluru, two massive business hubs, that takes less than 24 hours. A distance one can drive in 12 hours and perhaps walk — briskly? — in 15.

Could you perhaps use the money for a faster train to clothe and feed people and do all the other suggestions the governments' detractors suggest? Probably. Will that happen? Definitely not. In its absence, would having a fast train be a good thing?

I'd say when your choices are between zero and something, something is a better bet. Development comes with hard choices and someone has to make them. China has used rail powerfully to connect the country. Now, is it really beneficial to the people? Nobody knows. It is China. When the Chinese government wants to do something, they just do it, regardless of what social media thinks. Mainly because they've, um, pretty much banned social media.

Using trains to connect the country faster is not an offence. It is, perhaps, a reasonably good idea, given that we are landlocked and relatively manageably small. The US, for example, is also landlocked. :scared2:But the airline lobby (all private sector) is so powerful that it makes sure only air travel exists as the viable option, even for tiny distances like San Francisco to Los Angeles. This helps in keeping trains inefficient and slow, and customers having to do with such small seats and such bad service on monopoly airlines that you'd be led to believe you hadn't caught a flight but committed a crime. On one recent US flight, someone was charged for a glass of water. :eek1:

Anti-bullet train-arguers have said, 'Let's discuss all the other ways in which this money can be used.' Which is basically the same thing as saying, 'If this project is stopped, absolutely nothing else will happen with the cash, the end result being, no bullet train, and no other thing either.'

Anyone in any meeting knows when something is proposed, the best way to kill it forever is for the deciding boss to say, 'Let's see what else we can do with this money.' To explain, the island nation of Malta, once a British colony and now part of the EU, was heavily bombed by the Germans during World War 2. They had an opera house that was destroyed in the 1940s. For many years, every proposal to build something to restore it was met with, 'What a waste of money when we can be doing x, y, z!' Nothing stood there for all these years except a bomb crater.

That was until in 2015, when Malta's mayor got fed up and said, 'Everyone here has an opinion, and if I listen to it, nothing will happen. I'm building a new opera house. I don't care who thinks what. At least we'll have a new opera house, which is better than nothing.'

The bullet train arguments make me wonder if we are Maltese. In any development project, sure, one can say, 'Why spend here, why not there?' Isn't that the job of the elected government to prioritise? And one imagines there would be as many supporters of faster rail travel as anti-Modi bullet train jokes on social media.

Sure, every bullet train money can be used in other things. That's an unwinnable argument like saying: by helping Syrian refugees, you are ignoring Myanmar refugees. Or, because I am at a stand-up show tonight, I didn't climb Mount Everest — ignoring the fact that the latter isn't even possible, given my delightful physique. (Incidentally, that was a joke.) There will always be people one cannot do everything for. And that's just life. Does that mean one shouldn't do anything till each and everything can be done? That's idiotic.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

nimo_cn

Country flag
View: Why anti-bullet train arguments are idiotic

By Anuvab Pal
I cannot understand the arguments for not having abullet train
. I cannot understand why getting somewhere faster is a bad thing. I don't really see the joy of a crumbling rain infrastructure that takes people five hours to get from Bombay to Pune when a pigeon can fly faster. :pound:

The arguments for any development project in India always seems to be that the money can be better used somewhere else. When someone funds a quick train, millions on social media say: why not different trains? Why not feed the poor? Why not every other thing that isn't this train? To which the government says: um, why not this train? At least it is something.

Logically, distance suggests a Mumbai-Delhi train ride can be done in 8 hours, and it is criminal, if not mad — and we've all got used to being 'mad' with our transportation — that there isn't a train between Mumbai and Bengaluru, two massive business hubs, that takes less than 24 hours. A distance one can drive in 12 hours and perhaps walk — briskly? — in 15.

Could you perhaps use the money for a faster train to clothe and feed people and do all the other suggestions the governments' detractors suggest? Probably. Will that happen? Definitely not. In its absence, would having a fast train be a good thing?

I'd say when your choices are between zero and something, something is a better bet. Development comes with hard choices and someone has to make them. China has used rail powerfully to connect the country. Now, is it really beneficial to the people? Nobody knows. It is China. When the Chinese government wants to do something, they just do it, regardless of what social media thinks. Mainly because they've, um, pretty much banned social media.

Using trains to connect the country faster is not an offence. It is, perhaps, a reasonably good idea, given that we are landlocked and relatively manageably small. The US, for example, is also landlocked. :scared2:But the airline lobby (all private sector) is so powerful that it makes sure only air travel exists as the viable option, even for tiny distances like San Francisco to Los Angeles. This helps in keeping trains inefficient and slow, and customers having to do with such small seats and such bad service on monopoly airlines that you'd be led to believe you hadn't caught a flight but committed a crime. On one recent US flight, someone was charged for a glass of water. :eek1:

Anti-bullet train-arguers have said, 'Let's discuss all the other ways in which this money can be used.' Which is basically the same thing as saying, 'If this project is stopped, absolutely nothing else will happen with the cash, the end result being, no bullet train, and no other thing either.'

Anyone in any meeting knows when something is proposed, the best way to kill it forever is for the deciding boss to say, 'Let's see what else we can do with this money.' To explain, the island nation of Malta, once a British colony and now part of the EU, was heavily bombed by the Germans during World War 2. They had an opera house that was destroyed in the 1940s. For many years, every proposal to build something to restore it was met with, 'What a waste of money when we can be doing x, y, z!' Nothing stood there for all these years except a bomb crater.

That was until in 2015, when Malta's mayor got fed up and said, 'Everyone here has an opinion, and if I listen to it, nothing will happen. I'm building a new opera house. I don't care who thinks what. At least we'll have a new opera house, which is better than nothing.'

The bullet train arguments make me wonder if we are Maltese. In any development project, sure, one can say, 'Why spend here, why not there?' Isn't that the job of the elected government to prioritise? And one imagines there would be as many supporters of faster rail travel as anti-Modi bullet train jokes on social media.

Sure, every bullet train money can be used in other things. That's an unwinnable argument like saying: by helping Syrian refugees, you are ignoring Myanmar refugees. Or, because I am at a stand-up show tonight, I didn't climb Mount Everest — ignoring the fact that the latter isn't even possible, given my delightful physique. (Incidentally, that was a joke.) There will always be people one cannot do everything for. And that's just life. Does that mean one shouldn't do anything till each and everything can be done? That's idiotic.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:
I really don't understand why the author had to bring China in his argument. Had he really understand under what atmosphere was Chinese HSR being built, he wouldn't have make that analogy.

And personally I think it's ironical to see indian members on this forum to be so supportive of HSR. several years back, when China started building HSR, Indian members here had a totally different attitude toward HSR. Cosmetic project is what they call Chinese HSR. Guess what, indians are building their own cosmetic project.

singhboy98

Country flag
I really don't understand why the author had to bring China in his argument. Had he really understand under what atmosphere was Chinese HSR being built, he wouldn't have make that analogy.

And personally I think it's ironical to see indian members on this forum to be so supportive of HSR. several years back, when China started building HSR, Indian members here had a totally different attitude toward HSR. Cosmetic project is what they call Chinese HSR. Guess what, indians are building their own cosmetic project.
You totally do not understand Indians man. The moment the topic of infrastructure development comes up, be it scale or technology, the most common argument thrown about is that "China did it so why not us". Though Indians are a bit apprehensive (very much) about the way China chooses to conduct itself, most of us are very impressed with the speed with which China has upscaled its infrastructure. So no, HSR is definitely not a cosmetic project. Be it in India or China.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Published on Jul 2, 2017
E5 series Shinkansen bullet train comming soon in india

In this video you will know about the latest bullet train that is comming in india known as E5 Shinkansen. you will get to know about most of it features including it's routes and also about the future plan about more bullet train in india.

No, we will procure E5 series for this route.

MrPresident

Country flag
Is it only me or more people here thinks that we are not ready for bullet train yet? I feel its better to modernize the existing railways than Bullet train.

Really Ahmadabad to Mumbai?? dont know if this route is feasible for that amount of investment.

If India really plans on taking Japan's help, We should take there help in improving infrastructure in North-East. North-East can be a tourism hub if infra is developed.

sorcerer

Country flag
After yesterday's stampede at elphistone railway station and consequent deaths of 23 people , Raj Thackeray says his party won't allow bullet train---

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/raj-thackeray-blames-migrants-for-mumbai-stampede-that-left-22-dead-1757069?amp=1&akamai-rum=off
What was he doing when he was in power for decades!
NO POLITICIAN should try to score points and point fingers when innocents die. Assholes! the inactive politicians are

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles