Hello from Boston

thashepherd

Aapse milkar accha lag hain; I've been looking for a forum like this for a long time! It's difficult to get good information on more mainstream 'national' forums between the $0.50 army and 'F-22 FTW' types. From what I see here so far, you're a well-informed bunch; I was particularly impressed by a Ukrainian gentleman's deep knowledge of T-90 armor (not even T-80 series!).

'Murican software engineer, hopefully one of the ugly types. Ex-USMA & dilettante in military matters.

Can hardly introduce myself without posing a topic for discussion, can I? Here goes. India clearly has the base from which to build a strong attack helicopter force to perform the anti-tank role, and has a decent tactical interdiction capability with her combination of MiG-27 (variant?) and Jaguars (some of which are dedicated to anti-shipping work), but it certainly seems like there's a 'CAS hole' in the IAF. What is the doctrine here? Is the existing armor assumed to be enough to punch through the plains of Punjab without some kind of slow-moving aerial anti-tank support?

Probably a temporary problem as Arjun/Nag/Rudra come online, right (ain't nobody gonna waste a new Tejas on CAS)? What does the Indian Army use for front-line anti-helicopter AD?

Looking forward to screaming "Jai tequila" and charging into conversational battle with y'all.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Welcome Shepherd.

Join the flock!

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Welcome dude.

F-22 FTW though.

Blackwater

Aapse milkar accha lag hain; I've been looking for a forum like this for a long time! It's difficult to get good information on more mainstream 'national' forums between the $0.50 army and 'F-22 FTW' types. From what I see here so far, you're a well-informed bunch; I was particularly impressed by a Ukrainian gentleman's deep knowledge of T-90 armor (not even T-80 series!).

'Murican software engineer, hopefully one of the ugly types. Ex-USMA & dilettante in military matters.

Can hardly introduce myself without posing a topic for discussion, can I? Here goes. India clearly has the base from which to build a strong attack helicopter force to perform the anti-tank role, and has a decent tactical interdiction capability with her combination of MiG-27 (variant?) and Jaguars (some of which are dedicated to anti-shipping work), but it certainly seems like there's a 'CAS hole' in the IAF. What is the doctrine here? Is the existing armor assumed to be enough to punch through the plains of Punjab without some kind of slow-moving aerial anti-tank support?

Probably a temporary problem as Arjun/Nag/Rudra come online, right (ain't nobody gonna waste a new Tejas on CAS)? What does the Indian Army use for front-line anti-helicopter AD?

Looking forward to screaming "Jai tequila" and charging into conversational battle with y'all.
phai tusi gujju ho ya punjabi origin???

thashepherd

W.G.Ewald: "I take it then you did not graduate from West Point?"

Correct - bailed out at the 2-year mark with an HD. In all honesty, the choice was 'mediocre officer' vs. 'great software engineer'. Took a few years to convince myself I made the right choice, though!

Blackwater: phai tusi gujju ho ya punjabi origin???

Bhi nahin, mera roommate Mumbai se hain, wo mujhe thodi-thodi Hindi sikha. I'm an Ohioan.

(pardon, still figuring out the multiquote feature)

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
W.G.Ewald: "I take it then you did not graduate from West Point?"

Correct - bailed out at the 2-year mark with an HD. In all honesty, the choice was 'mediocre officer' vs. 'great software engineer'. Took a few years to convince myself I made the right choice, though!
I had three opportunities to be an officer, four if you include an appointment to the US Merchant Marine Academy, but retired as MSG E-8. My tenure as an OCS candidate lasted 6 weeks and ended with 30 days hard labor. Long Story. :-(

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles