Health and Fitness in the Indian Army

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I just found this on wiki: United States Army Physical Fitness Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its about the US army fitness test and with its required standarts.
When I first took the US Army PT test it included also the horizontal ladder, grenade throw, and low crawl. I hated the low crawl. At the end I always had a pantload of sand to get rid of, and the exertion made me want to puke.

Army Basic Training in the 1960s - Fun Facts, Questions, Answers, Information

While push ups, pull ups and sit ups were a daily challenge, the PT test was the mile run, the low crawl, the horizontal ladder, the dodge, run and jump and the grenade throw. These measured skills as well as conditioning. Each had a maximum score of 100 points, for a perfect score of 500, rarely attained.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A Glimpse of Life in the Army

In a peacetime cantonment the normal day of a jawan starts before sunrise. Once the Reveille bugle is sounded, jawans 'fall in' (assemble in rank and file) in sports kit. By now every jawan has shaved and washed and is ready for physical training (PT). His platoon commander –a JCO, normally inspects him to make sure that he is properly shaved and well turned out. He inspects his dress to ensure that it is clean and well ironed. Now the jawans are moved 'on the double' (running) or marched off briskly to the unit parade or PT ground. In this assembly the whole unit is together. Here the JCOs and then the officers join the parade. The PT, which is the first parade, involves vigorous exercise and running.
Making of an Indian Army Soldier

Page 7 of this document describes IA fitness test for recruits:

http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/RTI/rti/rect_procedure_offrs&or_army.pdf

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I find this hard to believe:

----

Indian Army is fat not fit, says internal audit - India News - IBNLive

New Delhi: Is the Indian Army unfit? An internal audit of the Army conducted in 2011 by the Controller of Defence Accounts has raised questions about the quantity and quality of food being fed to the men. The audit says normal military diet could be three times more than what is recommended by the ICMR. The Army has dismissed the findings.

According to the audit report, the recommended dietary intake of cereals for normal human consumption is 460 grams per day, while the Indian Army gives 600 grams per day.

As for pulses the recommended norm is 40 grams. The Army's prescribed scales are more than double. Similarly the medical body ICMR recommends 30 grams of sugar per day. The men in uniform get 90 grams.

The ICMR recommends just 30 grams of meat per person per day as ideal for health but according to the audit report army men get 100 grams of fresh meat. In case of potatoes only 50 grams is permissible but the Indian Army gets 100 grams on a standard basis.

The audit report also refers to two other anomalies that the same scale of food items is provided to army personnel across all age groups. And number two, since food consumption also depends on the nature of the job being done, those deployed in widely divergent terrains and climate may need a higher calorific value than those in warm areas.

Further, the level of physical activity also varies from administrative duties to strenuous physical ones, so should the scale of rations.

The Indian Army in its response has dismissed suggestions saying comparing service rations to the recommended ICMR norms is an incorrect comparison. Further, it believes if compared to international scales of UN ration, the Indian soldier is getting far less.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
An internal audit of the Army conducted in 2011 by the Controller of Defence Accounts has raised questions about the quantity and quality of food being fed to the men. The audit says normal military diet could be three times more than what is recommended by the ICMR. The Army has dismissed the findings.
3-4km is regular every day PT, Max 14mins it takes to compleate, Moring langar food..

Than goes to regular work ( General duties ) than at after noon there is langar food, After food rest at evening there is basket ball, Those who have night-shifts goes for work again.. ( Peace time )

--------------------------------------

Food at langar for solider is at god mercy, Not allowed to spend money from there pockets, nor allowed to cook in there room..

Food at officer mess is good coz Officers spend money form there pockets..

I belie they need more food of good quality..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
An internal audit of the Army conducted in 2011 by the Controller of Defence Accounts has raised questions about the quantity and quality of food being fed to the men. The audit says normal military diet could be three times more than what is recommended by the ICMR. The Army has dismissed the findings.
The point that all categories need not have the same scale of rations.

The different arms and services are below.

Armoured Corps
Artillery
Army Air Defence
Army Aviation
Engineers
Corps of Signals
Mech Infantry
Infantry
Army Service Corps
Army Medical Corps
Army Dental Corps
Army Ordnance Corps
Corps of EME
Remount And Veterinary Corps
Army Education Corps
Corps of Military Police
Pioneer Corps
Army Postal Service
Territorial Army
Defence Security Corps

It maybe mentioned that they perform different tasks with different physical levels in their work environment. And each have a different mental level in work environment and both factors have different levels of stress. This is further different, even if from the same arms or services because the issues mentioned are different for personnel from these same arms and services working under different climatic zones and different elevations from the Mean Sea Level!

Therefore, in exactly scientific terms the ration scales will depend on the type of work, the physical exercise done, the climate where operating, the altitude where operating.

Now, according to the International Institute for Strategic Studies, in 2010 the Indian army had a strength of 1,129,900 active personnel and 960,000 reserve personnel.

Imagine if the parameters were to be applied as per scientific to calculate the different scales of rations, what a total confusion it would lead to!

Imagine the procurement problems as also calculating the transport required to move the rations (taking into consideration the requirement in different areas, for each different arms and services, and depending on the climatic conditions and also the elevation the said different types of troops from different arms and services.

Now, imagine for some reason, some troops are redeployed for some operational reason to an area with totally different parameters to what was forecast, planned, procured and moved! How does one now, at this late stage, cater for what can become a shortfall or become surplus.

Therefore, there has to be standardisation in ration scales. However, with add ons for the High Altitude and maybe for water and ice in the deserts for troops under canvas or training.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In so far as the standard of rations is concerned, I was a Member of a Board of Officers that was constituted under Brig Bhim Sohag (a polo player and who was the BASC), based on a Study by one lady professor of the Punjab Agriculture University.

That Study indicated that the IA was the second best fed army in the world in so far as the rations went, but was way down by the time it became food.

Poor procurement, low contract rates and bureaucratic hurdles prevent the quality that should have been there as per the ASC Specifications. In the bargain, the food procured was substandard and only half of what was procured could be consumed as the remainder had to be discarded being unsuitable (rotten, pulpy, discoloured and soft amongst the hard varieties and so on and so forth)

The Cooks who were to cook the food, were in no way Cooks, but people who learnt on the job in a manner of speaking.

The ration sacles for PBOR has improved immensely since my time and I have gone and seen the same. The quality has also improved, but nowhere still qualifying to be money's worth!

The only improvement in Cooks is that they are no longer called Cooks, but are called Chef. However, the standard of cooking remains the same rotten stuff. (One Haviladar Cook who was a Sepoy Cook in my time, when I asked him if he had improved in cooking since my time, corrected me and told me "Saheb, I am not a Cook, I am now called a 'Cheap and I am a 'Cheap' who is a Havildar. Lekin saheb, as you used to call my cooking crap, it still remains the same crap and you will once again have to suffer me while you are here on your visit!" He was our Mess Cook and since I also used to join in to improve the Mess food with him, he could pull my leg.

When I told him he was always a Cheap chap, he looked at the PMC who quickly told me that it was 'Chef' that he was mispronouncing as 'Cheap'.

To be fair to my cook, he had improved and was quite good since he has been sent to ITC for training on a totally 'old boy' net since the Director of Welcome Group Hotels was Major Rehman of our Regiment!

So, my Mess cook had the last laugh!

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Army questioned on ration procurement for 2.5L 'ghost' soldiers

Army procures ration for 2.5L 'ghost' soldiers; questioned

The defence ministry's Controller General Defence Accounts has questioned the army for procuring ration for 14 lakh personnel during 2010-11 while its actual strength is only about 11.5 lakh.

An internal audit has exposed the Indian Army for supplying ration to at least 2.5 lakh 'ghost' soldiers who either do not exist or draw the double benefit of free cooked meals plus the ration monthly allowance.

The army tried to wriggle out claiming the excess procurement was required to feed the jawans of the Border Roads Organisation, Indo-Tibetan Border Police and civilian labour working for the force, but the CGDA did not buy this excuse.

The audit by the CGDA showed that 10 lakh personnel were being supplied cooked meals while about Rs 670 crore was spent for ration in cash. Either more rations were procured than requirement or a large number of personnel were taking the free cooked meal as well as the monthly allowance.

Army authorities, however, refute the audit report, asserting that additional rations are procured to meet the operational requirements while it has to also stock supplies in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast due to absence of vendors there.

While the Comptroller and Auditor General had pulled up the army last year for providing substandard food to jawans posted in Siachen and other inhospitable terrain, the CGDA found the army giving at least three times more food to its men than prescribed by the Indian Council of Medical Research.

When the auditor asked why should the same scale of ration be given regardless of the nature of job like the officers and jawans engaged in administrative jobs which are not physically demanding, the army pointed out that even they have to undergo the mandatory physical training every day.

Rage

DFI TEAM
This is one of the everyday morning routines at the IMA. It is not inclusive of their other exercises during the day or week such as the long run, obstacle course, stationary and 360 degree drills, swimming, aerosports and expeditionary sports, equitation and optional sports for those who are involved in them: boxing, body building, taekwondo, archery and shooting.

Their daily mandatory strength regimen is stylized as a a Crossfit AMRAP and believe me it gets intense. There are no breaks in and you go as fast as possible within the given duration.

Here it is:

Training secrets from the army : Cover Stories - MensHealth

Snuggy321

This is one of the everyday morning routines at the IMA. It is not inclusive of their other exercises during the day or week such as the long run, obstacle course, stationary and 360 degree drills, swimming, aerosports and expeditionary sports, equitation and optional sports for those who are involved in them: boxing, body building, taekwondo, archery and shooting.

Their daily mandatory strength regimen is stylized as a a Crossfit AMRAP and believe me it gets intense. There are no breaks in and you go as fast as possible within the given duration.

Here it is:

Training secrets from the army : Cover Stories - MensHealth
Thanks for sharings.. interesting website.
I remember that an IMA officer said that the cadets need to take in around 5000 calories to hold their weight (From Jai Hind with Rocky and Mayur)

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Indian Army Officer and soldier are highly trained and they are mentally and physically fit ,and survive easily in difficult condition,

IA training standard is best in the world, specially High Altitude War School Training ,And Para Forces Training

The Soldiers Who Know No Fear

Indian Army

Different From Others :salute:

abingdonboy

Country flag
I think for the regular army grunts the IA should take a page out of the US book and focus on body-building more. I'm not saying IA guys are weak but when compared to US army grunts the IA grunts look a bit skinny. I know looks can be decptive but this is just my opinion. I don't imagine many IA soldiers spend much time in an actual gym working on building mass like their US counterparts who focus on this.

SF and Para (Airborne) are on a different level though naturally, after hearing of their PT and selection tests I've got no doubt they are as fit and muscular as they need to be!

Snuggy321

I think for the regular army grunts the IA should take a page out of the US book and focus on body-building more. I'm not saying IA guys are weak but when compared to US army grunts the IA grunts look a bit skinny. I know looks can be decptive but this is just my opinion. I don't imagine many IA soldiers spend much time in an actual gym working on building mass like their US counterparts who focus on this.

SF and Para (Airborne) are on a different level though naturally, after hearing of their PT and selection tests I've got no doubt they are as fit and muscular as they need to be!
According to the PFT, upper body strength doesnt seem to be very important to the army. I remember an US soldier saying that IA soldiers were determined and well trained soldiers but they lack in raw physical strength. AFAIK the condition of the navy is even worse (min. requirement for the PFT: 20 sit ups and 10 (!) push ups)

Victor Sierra

Country flag
Firstly the officer ranks in Defense Forces should be made slim & fit. I remember around 5-6 years ago, I saw an AF Station Senior Officer (don't know what they call, its like what we have in Army Cantt as GOC) that also in Insugency Area. He was so fat, that he could hardly walk.

Snuggy321

Indian Army is fat not fit, says internal audit

New Delhi: Is the Indian Army unfit? An internal audit of the Army conducted in 2011 by the Controller of Defence Accounts has raised questions about the quantity and quality of food being fed to the men. The audit says normal military diet could be three times more than what is recommended by the ICMR. The Army has dismissed the findings.
According to the audit report, the recommended dietary intake of cereals for normal human consumption is 460 grams per day, while the Indian Army gives 600 grams per day.
As for pulses the recommended norm is 40 grams. The Army's prescribed scales are more than double. Similarly the medical body ICMR recommends 30 grams of sugar per day. The men in uniform get 90 grams.
VideoPhotoGallery

The ICMR recommends just 30 grams of meat per person per day as ideal for health but according to the audit report army men get 100 grams of fresh meat. In case of potatoes only 50 grams is permissible but the Indian Army gets 100 grams on a standard basis.
The audit report also refers to two other anomalies that the same scale of food items is provided to army personnel across all age groups. And number two, since food consumption also depends on the nature of the job being done, those deployed in widely divergent terrains and climate may need a higher calorific value than those in warm areas.
Further, the level of physical activity also varies from administrative duties to strenuous physical ones, so should the scale of rations.
The Indian Army in its response has dismissed suggestions saying comparing service rations to the recommended ICMR norms is an incorrect comparison. Further, it believes if compared to international scales of UN ration, the Indian soldier is getting far less.

Indian Army is fat not fit, says internal audit - India - IBNLive

This calorie surplus isnt bad, as long as you have a good amount of PT. Especially a surplus in meat consumption, which means many proteins which are essential in building more bodymass in form of muscles and not fat!

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Making a re post just from last page..

The point that all categories need not have the same scale of rations.

The different arms and services are below.

Armoured Corps
Artillery
Army Air Defence
Army Aviation
Engineers
Corps of Signals
Mech Infantry
Infantry
Army Service Corps
Army Medical Corps
Army Dental Corps
Army Ordnance Corps
Corps of EME
Remount And Veterinary Corps
Army Education Corps
Corps of Military Police
Pioneer Corps
Army Postal Service
Territorial Army
Defence Security Corps

It maybe mentioned that they perform different tasks with different physical levels in their work environment. And each have a different mental level in work environment and both factors have different levels of stress. This is further different, even if from the same arms or services because the issues mentioned are different for personnel from these same arms and services working under different climatic zones and different elevations from the Mean Sea Level!

Therefore, in exactly scientific terms the ration scales will depend on the type of work, the physical exercise done, the climate where operating, the altitude where operating.

Now, according to the International Institute for Strategic Studies, in 2010 the Indian army had a strength of 1,129,900 active personnel and 960,000 reserve personnel.

Imagine if the parameters were to be applied as per scientific to calculate the different scales of rations, what a total confusion it would lead to!

Imagine the procurement problems as also calculating the transport required to move the rations (taking into consideration the requirement in different areas, for each different arms and services, and depending on the climatic conditions and also the elevation the said different types of troops from different arms and services.

Now, imagine for some reason, some troops are redeployed for some operational reason to an area with totally different parameters to what was forecast, planned, procured and moved! How does one now, at this late stage, cater for what can become a shortfall or become surplus.

Therefore, there has to be standardisation in ration scales. However, with add ons for the High Altitude and maybe for water and ice in the deserts for troops under canvas or training.

In so far as the standard of rations is concerned, I was a Member of a Board of Officers that was constituted under Brig Bhim Sohag (a polo player and who was the BASC), based on a Study by one lady professor of the Punjab Agriculture University.

That Study indicated that the IA was the second best fed army in the world in so far as the rations went, but was way down by the time it became food.

Poor procurement, low contract rates and bureaucratic hurdles prevent the quality that should have been there as per the ASC Specifications. In the bargain, the food procured was substandard and only half of what was procured could be consumed as the remainder had to be discarded being unsuitable (rotten, pulpy, discoloured and soft amongst the hard varieties and so on and so forth)

The Cooks who were to cook the food, were in no way Cooks, but people who learnt on the job in a manner of speaking.

The ration sacles for PBOR has improved immensely since my time and I have gone and seen the same. The quality has also improved, but nowhere still qualifying to be money's worth!

The only improvement in Cooks is that they are no longer called Cooks, but are called Chef. However, the standard of cooking remains the same rotten stuff. (One Haviladar Cook who was a Sepoy Cook in my time, when I asked him if he had improved in cooking since my time, corrected me and told me "Saheb, I am not a Cook, I am now called a 'Cheap and I am a 'Cheap' who is a Havildar. Lekin saheb, as you used to call my cooking crap, it still remains the same crap and you will once again have to suffer me while you are here on your visit!" He was our Mess Cook and since I also used to join in to improve the Mess food with him, he could pull my leg.

When I told him he was always a Cheap chap, he looked at the PMC who quickly told me that it was 'Chef' that he was mispronouncing as 'Cheap'.

To be fair to my cook, he had improved and was quite good since he has been sent to ITC for training on a totally 'old boy' net since the Director of Welcome Group Hotels was Major Rehman of our Regiment!

So, my Mess cook had the last laugh!

3-4km is regular every day PT, Max 14mins it takes to compleate, Moring langar food..

Than goes to regular work ( General duties ) than at after noon there is langar food, After food rest at evening there is basket ball, Those who have night-shifts goes for work again.. ( Peace time )

Food at langar for solider is at god mercy, Not allowed to spend money from there pockets, nor allowed to cook in there room..

Food at officer mess is good coz Officers spend money form there pockets..

I belie they need more food of good quality..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles