HC issues notice to Union, State govts on 'Bhagavad Gita' circular

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by nrj, Jul 15, 2011.

1. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Karnataka High Court today ordered issue of notices to the state and union governments on a state government circular on teaching of 'Bhagavad Gita' in primary and higher secondary schools.

Justice Abdul Nazeer ordered issue of notices after hearing a petition filed by Karnataka State Minorities Educational Institutions Managements Federation, challenging the June 9 2011 circular.

The court posted the petition for further hearing to July 21 The Petitioner submitted the Federation is a registered association to safeguard interests of Minorities Educational Institutions and that educational institutions run by it's members are protected under Art. 29 and 30 of the Constitution in the light of the Supreme Court judgement in T M A Pai Foundation Vs State of Karnataka case.

It said Members of the Petitioner Association are governed by Karnataka Education Act 1983.As per section 141 of the Act, the Act or rules made under it are not applicable to any minority educational institutions to the extent they are "inconsistent" with rights guaranteed under Art 30 of the Constitution.

The petitioner contended the circular was contrary to the rights guaranteed to minority Institutions,which neither the Union nor the state government had a right to deviate from. In the absence of specific provision/section in Karnataka Education Act, the respondent cannot force the educational institutions to teach Bhagavad Gita. If it is allowed, then minority institutions may also teach Quran/Bible in schools where Hindus are also admitted as students.

"It will go against the Constitution and also affect the religous sentiments of the minority and may create communal tension in schools", the petitioner stated. The petitioner sought a direction to stay operation of the circular, in relation to the Federation's members pending disposal of the petition.

Notice to state & union govts on 'Bhagavad Gita' circular

3. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

As if that is not happening right now.

All the missionary schools have compulsory Prayer session in the morning with the Bible being sung irrespective of majority of the students being Hindus.We, Hindus, dont have a problem with it.

But the minorities and their bloody insecurities. *facepalm*. There are so many important things in life other than these petty things.

4. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

According to the Constitution no religious prayer, instruction etc are permitted in government or government aided schools. Ramkrishna Mission schools, Missionary schools etc can continue with prayers etc if they are not aided by government. Others should fall in line...

BTW, Saraswati Puja is observed in every schools in Bengal. Never heard any non-Hindu has ever made complain about it. I dont know why so much problems are there in other places...

However there is no particular rule to distinguise which should be considered a religious mtter...And, I think Bhagabat Gita is more philosophical (relating to real world) than religious or spiritual....and originated in India...Government should made attempt to teach good things of every religion (basic moral things only not spritual etc) to boys...it will not only help their moral development but create harmony among people...

sob likes this.
  5. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Generally I don't comment on such things but this one compelled me. I studied in a Catholic School and we were required to attend morning prayer sessions all throughout our student life. It was mandatory. Bible History was a subject in school. All meals started with offering prayer service. I can attest from my 12 years spent in my school that when it comes to institutions run by the Missionaries or the Mullahs the Courts turn a blind eye. But when it comes to encouraging such a sweeping philosophical epic like Bhagwad Gita which is purely Indian in nature and ingrained in every sphere of our lives we end up being issued court orders. Last time I checked India still had a 84% Hindu population. Is the religion of the majority only open to ridicule and sordid attacks and court orders in the name of Pseudo Secularism?

If morning prayers and azans are mandatory in minority institutions then teaching Bhagwad Gita should be made mandatory as well in all majority institutions. Typical pseudo secular or reverse communal mentality - someone ask these loons whether they sing "Vande Mataram" or not. Disgusting Rubbish.

6. bhogta

bhogta Regular Member

This is not fair. If you had problem then you should not joined that school. That was there school they have right . But no way in a government school this should be there. I think if RSS school want then they can have nothing wrong in that but in a public school should be away from this.

7. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

They are private schools though. Ive also chanted christian prayers throughout my schooling.

This is about govt schools. Im a strong advocate of school having nothing to do with religion.

8. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

@ Abir...there are schools run by Hindu, Muslims Catholic organizations....they are not bound by law to keep institution free of religious things......But, about government and government aided schools there is the restriction....Nobody forced you to take admission any Catholic institution...

9. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Away from what? Bhagwad Gita is a philosophical treatise which is unique and supreme in its nature. It is hardly a religious book. It comprises of 18 Chapters of Mahabharata (Mahabharata is not a religious book, it is the world's biggest Epic) and 745 verses to be exact, though later on abridged versions carry 700 verses. This is entirely wrong to classify Bhagwad Gita as a religious book. Do you consider Illiad and Odyssey as religious books even though it pretty much is steeped with Greek Polytheistic folklore?

Would you stop teachings of Plato and Socrates being taught at school? You won't, so don't stop Bhagwad Gita by falsely stating that it is a religious book. It is regarded as such by the Hindus because the real philosophical essence has been lost through the ages but it is absolutely wrong to say it is religious in nature. The main protagonists may be religious figureheads but that was done solely to increase the acceptability of the philosophical context of the book itself. People in the 5th century BC would be rather circumspect to disregard anything that goes against Krishna's treatise as he is God incarnate. In reality, the treatise was the accumulated philosophical knowledge throughout ages put together as a treatise in the form of 18 chapters of the epic.

10. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

There is a Difference between Government Schools and Private/Non-aided Schools

Government School Not equal to Hindu, It is not a physical space for Hindu's to propagate their religion or beliefs. It is Tax Payer's.
    Private School - Whatever they may choose, It depends on the trust and managements. Chinmaya Vidyalaya's have compulosry Gita classes. That is not illegal. Missionary run private schools have their own prayers, Muslims have their own, Other private schools have Secular Prayers.

Dovah likes this.
  11. bhogta

bhogta Regular Member

You are right. But then that should come as in some part rather then as a full book. That will be fine with every body. Like some part of bible as that book has a lot of history there but as a whole book no not in any day.

12. Adux

We really dont care.

13. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Secular Prayers?

Its the first time I have heard that term. But as I said before, you or anyone else may consider Gita as a religious book, I don't. It is not the vedas. It is not the upanishads. It is only 18 chapters of philosophy from Mahabharata. Now as far as I know all schools teach Mahabharata in their curriculum. Why teach Mahabharata and ignore 18 chapters from the same book. Surprising logic.

14. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

If there is something good, something that will enrich the lives of the children in Shrimad Gita, religion must not be a bar in teaching that to the children.

I would call Gita a philosophical book on the lines of Socrates and hardly a religious book.

15. Adux

Nobody cares about what your interpretation of Gita is, it is a religious text of Hindu's, and that would do. Secular Prayers, Yup. they do exist, but I dont think dud's like you would be interested in them, if by any off chance you are, use google.

16. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Hmm going by your language I can guess that your attitude of judging people and their priorities are somewhat retarded. Good luck with bad mouthing someone for no reason. Can't come up with reasonable debate so bad mouth others and then maybe perhaps report threads. Good keep it up.

Nobody actually cares what you think about Gita. The Germans teach it in their schools for your kind info and it is taught here in US as part of the Philosophy curriculum. Certainly your view is restricted and better keep it to yourself.

KS likes this.
  17. bhogta

bhogta Regular Member

I got a whole vedic maths course in IIT Bombay so let him think what he think. But that all teaching should be in art and with out glorification of Hindu religion.

18. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

I agree. Most of Gita's teachings are secular in nature. The concept of karma is universal and later formed the basis of Budhha's teachings and guess what Budhha was an Agnostic like myself.

19. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

It is their loss. Why should one wake up the sleeping toms !!