Have your servers in India, government to tell social media websites

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Free Karma, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Have your servers in India, government to tell social media websites | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
    good move!

Nicky G, Razor, iNDiAN.96 and 4 others like this.
  3. sorcerer

sorcerer Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Have your servers in India, government to tell social media websit

Really good and sensible move!!

This will counter the misinformation campaign by congress!
    also

India will be able to effectively counter the ISIS internet propaganda.

4. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

If the websites can't have the servers in India, they should at least give the access to security agencies.
    The situation right now is that Indian security service have to write down to websites in US and then the websites provide the details like IP address and other logs. Sometimes this can take much time and slow the investigation process.

5. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Its all fine and dandy to "ask them" to do this and that. If the GoI can at least provide bare fcuking electricity 24/7, in at least all 7 top cities, that will automatically bring several data centers to India. Right now, electricity is expensive, unreliable and voltage fluctuates beyond acceptable limits often.

If you can give this guaranteed 100% foolproof service at least in some localities of 2-3 cities like Bangalore/Hyderabad/Pune, it will go a long way towards alleviating the concerns of data center operators.

If the GoI can get this much done, even Amazon Cloud services, Google, etc. will make a beeline to set up data centers in India in any case, whether GoI diktat or not.

iNDiAN.96 likes this.
  6. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

What makes you think there are no server farms in india, i know for sure Reliance has them and 24/7 electricity has nothing to do with setting up a server farm. Reliance server farm had existed even before 2006 because one of my friends used to work in one of them. and when i say server farm it was four floors of servers each floor the size of half a football field, with rows and rows of servers. they used to rent servers to indian companies and at that time even some of gillette servers used to be operated out of Mumbai. Small sized server farms existed even in Hyderabad in 2008 and by now i am sure a lot more would have come up in Gurgaon, chennai, bangalore and pune.

one the topic of hosting popular social media sites in india, i don't think this govt's idea is feasible. Data storage does not necessarily depend on location. At best what our guys can do is ask for some sort of access to data and better co-ordination with their india offices, beyond that i don't think we can go further. this is one of the reason china developed their own google, facebook and twitter type social networking sites so that they can maintain their own hosting servers with in the country.

Free Karma and sorcerer like this.
  7. Bangalorean

There are definitely server farms. Lot of companies have them. But those are mainly proprietary. And now, a lot of those expensive gigantic server farms are being replaced by cloud. LOTS of customers are moving their entire IT infrastructure to cloud, specifically to Amazon Cloud and Google Cloud. I myself have been an evangelist of cloud (I am in IT consulting), and have convinced several customers to move to cloud, and many are moving even their entire SAP system, CRM system to Amazon cloud now!!

Now, the actual cloud hosting providers - Amazon and Google - don't have shit in India. Think about it - India is the greatest IT outsourcing destination in the whole world. We have manpower for every skillset possible - even the most obscure and weird ones. But Amazon doesn't want to set up their massive data centers in India. They stick to American cities, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Dublin, etc. And one more point worth reflecting on: we are very poor in the web hosting business. Being a nation with so much IT talent and abundant entrepreneurial drive, we should have been the leaders by now. Unfortunately, even "Indian" web hosting providers like indialinks.com (for example) have massively scaled down their India-based hosting and now offer only American hosting (Dedicated Servers by India's Leading Managed Hosting Company). Hell, even DFI is not hosted in India.

Bottomline: it is not cost-effective to maintain data centers in India, and one of the prime reasons is unreliable electricity supply, AND expensive electricity supply.

Clueless Babus are thinking of "demanding" for servers to be hosted in India. As if its as simple as that!! Make the conditions favourable, and everyone will automatically flock here. Yes, including Amazon and Google.

Free Karma, ezsasa and sorcerer like this.
  8. ezsasa

I take most of your points w.r.t current situation, but i am quite confident that situation will be a lot different a decade from now.

and B.T.W i am an opponent of cloud services in india for indian ERP customers.

9. Bangalorean

Keeping my fingers crossed, I hope the situation does change in a decade from now.

Interested to know why you are an opponent of cloud services in India. Though most of my clients are international, off late we have been getting some Indian clients. Recently I performed a massive supply chain intelligence implementation for one of India's largest car-makers. The project was not getting off the ground because of the hardware requirements that our software needed. It was due to Amazon cloud that the project finally got off the ground. Absolutely ZERO down payment, you're up and running from day 1. And the biggest clincher is their RDS (Relational Database Service). Amazon manages your database - they take care of all DBA activities - backup, recovery, tablespace sizing, filesystem configuration, etc. etc. You just need to focus on your core competency, and let Amazon handle all that shit. I loved it.

And for startups and entrepreneurs, Amazon cloud is like a boon from heaven. When I enquire with Indian data centers like CtrlS (Hyderabad based), they quote rates like Rs. 85000 per month for a database server running Oracle enterprise edition 11g, 400GB data storage, with 4 cores (Intel Xeon) and 16 GB memory. And I can bet my ass that they won't have the same DBA capabilities that Amazon has. I will end up doing a lot of the DBA activity myself.

So what's the reason for your opposition to cloud?

10. ezsasa

As far as Capex on IT infrastructure is concerned which a typical CIO looks for it is great, but my grievance is with quality of functionality available with ERP cloud services specifically SAP. Cloud services will not able to compete with flexibility given by inhouse configuration which you can do. It is difficult to satisfy end user with the options available. Then again my opinions are subject to change as and when i start getting good feedback from end users.

11. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

This is unlikely to work because the last thing social media agencies want is for greater governmental interference.

12. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Indian government interference is not much different compared to the US government interference. India is now one of the largest markets for these social media sites and they must respect the concerns of the Indian government.

VIP and Free Karma like this.
  13. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

You mean greater interference from a government that's not the US (or the one that created them). Social sites are a free goldmine for various government agencies, people willingly divulge personal information. Profiling was never easier.