Hats off to Vinod Rai

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by trackwhack, May 24, 2012.

1. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Since 2008, when Vinod Rai was appointed the head of CAG, the auditors have gone into overdrive busting really big scams in India. So much so that it resulted in the whole Anna Hazare farce, which if nothing else managed to wake up a lot of our citizens. The number of RTI activists have also gone up. More politicians are on the mat now that ever before.

I attribute a lot of this momentum to the audacity of the CAG to not bend to the tune of the government and courageously staying independent. The CAG has also remained politically neutral , admonishing and praising both incumbent and oppositions wherever applicable. They have also highlighted issues in defense procurement and have not spared the armed forces either.

Kudos to Vinod Rai.

[​IMG]

3. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

We always forget there is a face behind CAG, With all of this let's not forget Bean counters are bean counters.

4. trackwhack

You must remember that this bean counter was the finance secretary of Chidambaram. Since 2008, he has been fvcking with the same government that he used to advice. That takes some balls of steel boss.

maomao likes this.
  5. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

I am not disputing that, I am saying bean counters do not understand R&D, Marketing, and Project realities. And I have seen CAG being completely stupid on couple of DRDO projects.

6. trackwhack

True, but I think many of the auditors in his team come with some heavy duty experience and expertise. I vaguely remember some over the top judgements on DRDO though I cannot recall the projects.

I tend to always give the DRDO the benefit of doubt simply because there is not much you can do with an annual budget of 2 billion.

7. venkat

venkat Regular Member

every CAG report ultimately ends up in a dust bin......nothing more than that!!!!ultimately CAG gets Gagged!!!!

8. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Vinod Rai taking on UPA is result spat between him & MMS in mid 2008. These people got personal in their fight. PMO secretary who was witness of it got transferred to finance department last year.

9. trackwhack

I heard about this but find it difficult to believe because right after the incident was when he was made the head of CAG. Thats MMS pretty much shooting himself in the foot. I think Rai's appointment was MMS giving him the green signal to go out and slaughter a few politicians, be it within or outside the Government.

10. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

TW Sir, it is murkier than it looks. I can not speak more on it here.

11. trackwhack

Then you should PM me if its ok with you. :) These are issues that I am interested in.

12. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

:spy: :spy:

13. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

CAG's report are purely clinical.

They do not take other issues into consideration.

On points raised by the CAG or the Auditors that work for CAG one can give a suitable rejoinder giving the ground realities.

For instance, troops are allowed to go by Govt transport to areas of historical interest.

The Govt auditor opined that a place visited was not of historical interest and hence a loss to the State and which the unit should make good.

The CO's answer was - it is not the duty of a CO to teach history to auditors, but they may refer to XXXX book on history to educate themselves.

Case closed!

14. Ray

Notwithstanding the post above, Mr Rai has done some sterling work in exposing the skulduggery of the Govt in the scams and the Govt has no answer since they had done those scams, hoping that it will be covered up by jigggery pokery of officialese.

15. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

that is because cag is an autonomous body.wish to see cbi too autonomous, all corrupt politicos will land in jail in no time..

by the way cbi is on arrest spree in my state arresting corrupt politicians since few months.

16. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

I think it needs integrity, character and a resolve. We have many people like him, but the politicians off all the parties like to suppress them. As a civil servant he has to advise whoever is the minister. with a change in role he is doing what he is supposed to.

My uncle is the Collector for Mumbai. The pressure on him to absolve the politicians from Aadarsh Scam has been tremendous. When he did not bend to their wishes, they tried to set him up. The politicians are now paying the price for transgressing his authority and his integrity.

17. Ray

I would not be surprised!