Hatf IX (NASR) ballistic missile

rizwan78

Country flag
Pakistan test fired a nuclear-capable, surface-to-surface ballistic missile "Nasr" on Tuesday. According to ISPR, multi tube Hatf-9 (Nasr) missile can hit targets at 60 kilo-meter.

'Nasr can carry nuclear warheads with high accuracy,' the military said in a statement, adding the test had been successful.

"The missile has been developed to add deterrence value to Pakistan's strategic weapons development programme at shorter ranges," it said, adding that "this quick response system addresses the need to deter evolving threats".
http://www.aaj.tv/2011/04/pakistan-successfully-test-fires-ballistic-missile-nasr/

Country flag
Lot of inaccuracies in this report:

is this a ballistic missile ? That goes on the upper atmosphere or a quick reaction SAM?
What practical use would a 60km missile with a nuclear warhead be?
How small would the warhead be has it been minituarized?
If it is possible how is the seeker for a quick reaction missile combined with a nuclear warhead?
Is this a defensive system misreported with an offensive nuclear twist?

plugwater

ROFL!! Why do you need a missile for 60 km ? Even our smerch can reach 90 km but its not nuclear capable.

chex3009

Country flag
Wouldn't this missile system be used to carry small tactical nukes against the parts of large advancing enemy(indian) columns, which the pakistanis earlier talked of????

Last edited:

A.V.

A Ballistic Missile is one which leaves the earths atmosphere and then reenters it on a later stage , with a range of 60kms its nowhere near ballistic , this report should go into the error reporting by media persons , many of these media dont understand the terms they use.

playing to a larger audience a pakistani new agency - well congrats on the success if the story is true

rizwan78

Country flag
I think It is a Ballistic Missile, since it seems to be guided. if it was unguided, it would have been called rocket. correct me if i am wrong

Oracle

A.V. is bang on target. Now, what is the distance in KMs from the earth's surface to earth's upper atmosphere? And then back to the earth's surface.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Pakistani must be kidding when they say this is nuclear missile or rocket, what ever they are calling it, being capable to carry is one thing, but to make the nukes small and miniature enough is another thing, if Pakistan is implying later, then i must say that for that kind of R&D Pakistan would bleed to death economically. They dont have resources for doing that kind of R&D. Country hardly survive without aid.

Now coming back to 60 km range it is too shot for any nuclear attack. it is not ballistic missile that is for sure. Pakistani needs to properly educate their countrymen.

BTW this news is similar to some of our media saying that Akash missile is nuclear capable.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
BTW those suitcase nukes have almost bleed Soviet Union to death, because they cost so much.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Every thing is nuclear in Pakistan. Even on a cookery show they will brag being a nuclear power.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What makes me laugh is the use of the term nuclear. The poor fellas who fire it will suffer radiation. 60kms range would not be ballistic.. It can be a guided rocket. Looking at the picture of the firing, its similar to how MLRS fire.

rizwan78

Country flag

hit&run

Mod
What makes me laugh is the use of the term nuclear. Thepoor fellas who fire it will suffer radiation. 60kms range would not beballistic.. It can be a guided rocket. Looking at the picture of the firing,its similar to how MLRS fire.
Yusuf:

PA is trying to show its last line of defence. Since they never tested a kiloton yield nuke therefore its more indicative of what a desperado army may opt and make better use of its present nuclear inventory.

They are trying to present these rockets (depressed trajectory) as ballistic missiles (lofted trajectory) so that they may not be classified as only rogue nation who now vows to have nuclear tipped cruise missile and nuclear tipped rockets (International community must note). Or if it is really a short range BM then there will be no going back for India once this BM is detected to trigger full nuclear strike and send them back to Stone Age. There is no such thing like tactical nuke and no such measure to detect if a BM is having a conventional warhead or nuclear.

For last two days they are smoking high on something on different forums about being able to expert miniature nuke (to be Noted that sub kiloton yield nuke doesn't mean mini nuke but may be a poor design). Even if it is true then i would say that Indian think tanks by only talking about CSD few years backare still able to give jitters to them.

However neither they are able to deter an armoured column nor population.Their dud nuclear tests rule out deterring population. Now the bigger question one must ask how (if CSD is going to be implicated by India in near future)they are going to maintain such nuclear posture i.e. mated nuclear tipped SRBM.

See the time consumed for 60 KM range BM from below chart and estimate the required nuclear attack alertness they may need (before going schizophrenic)when India will be bluffing them with 7 to 8 such armoured columns with adequate force concentration in each.

http://img853.imageshack.us/f/capturevz.png/

OT: I have mentioned before (what i think) that tactical nukes certainly have a role to play when enemy is already overwhelmed but there are few pockets of resistance or if you are notoriously trying to punish them hard. I don't think India is going to do such acts but Pakistan may be thinking about this but they have to overwhelm us comprehensively; which they will not be able to do in this century.

Last edited:

arya

Country flag

Pakistani must be kidding when they say this is nuclear missile or rocket, what ever they are calling it, being capable to carry is one thing, but to make the nukes small and miniature enough is another thing, if Pakistan is implying later, then i must say that for that kind of R&D Pakistan would bleed to death economically. They dont have resources for doing that kind of R&D. Country hardly survive without aid.

Now coming back to 60 km range it is too shot for any nuclear attack. it is not ballistic missile that is for sure. Pakistani needs to properly educate their countrymen.

BTW this news is similar to some of our media saying that Akash missile is nuclear capable.
dont you think you are in overconfidence

never take your enemy easy

fact is that china pakistan is and will be more dangerous for our national security

hit&run

Mod
dont you think you are in overconfidence

never take your enemy easy

fact is that china pakistan is and will be more dangerous for our national security
Please stay on the topic and help me understand why this particular test is going to be dangerous for our National security?

Hint: Please explain me the yield of warhead this SRBM be carrying. How pakistan keep its said nuclear bombs (assembled or dissembled). Do you know the very first/previous Hatf (do not know number may be I) has 70 km range with 500kg warhead capacity. Does this test help us understand something new which we do not know?

Country flag
This missile/rocket probably weighs 500-1500 kgs max how is it able to deliver a kiloton tactical nuke 60km?? It is way to small. This looks like a chinese MBRL misreported.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
LF some of the smart pakistani on other forum said it has thrust vector tech, those guys are out of their mind living in dream world.

Country flag
LF some of the smart pakistani on other forum said it has thrust vector tech, those guys are out of their mind living in dream world.
They have successfully developed airplane technology into a missile technology?? All missiles that have thrust vectoring are BALLISTIC missiles that leave the atmosphere.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Adding to the confusion, sadly rizwan only gave a wiki page and didn't correlate it with Pakistan'ss nuclear program or this successfull test.
In absolute terms the test may be successfull, I won't dispute that but what has it achieved exactly ???

Regards,
Virendra

Global Defence

New threads

Articles