Has Narendra Modi disappointed us all?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by fyodor, Jun 5, 2015.

1. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

First of all let me make it clear that I was (and perhaps is) a diehard Modi and BJP supporter. My hope was that he will usher India into a blitzkrieg of reforms and make India achieve the place it truly deserves in the world.
    But 1 year later, such hopes seems to be mirage. He has been trapped by bureaucracy. The govt has been going so slow on reforms that he has left the industrialists and the middle class disasspointed. Everyday we keep hearing about new slogans like "Make In India" and "Swach Bharat". But how will any factory be setup in a place where land acquistion takes decades? Do after 1 year of Swach Bharat campaign do you think India is any cleaner than before?
    I have talked to several other Modi supporters in my college and outside and most of them think that government has been diasspointing. The only thing it has succeded in is rhetorics. True our GDP is now at 7.3% but because of base revision. If you change the base again one year later than it will reach 8%, so this whole drama by Arun Jaitley reeks of deception. It seems like Modi has been totally hijacked by old school bureaucrats and the likes of Jaitley.

Even Arun Shourie and Ram Jethmalani are criticizing Modi.

But what's more disasspointing is that we have no other choice except Modi. He is the least worst of all. The only thing we can do now is to work hard and get out of this doomed country. India will remain the poverty HQ of the world for years to come without massive growth which seems like a dream.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Arun Shourie and Ram Jethmalani are criticizing because they have gone senile and are angry at not getting any plum positions.

As far as reforms are concerned, Modi does not have majority in RS. LAB is stuck due to this reason, may be at some point it will pass. Probably the hopes were too high from Modi and hence the disappointment. But there were good stuff like auctioning of natural resources and probably work is going on to transfer subsidies to bank accounts through JAM trinity. I will still wait for a year or two before giving the final verdict. I am only worried because Modi has not freed up the education sector as it was the foremost desirable thing. RTE should have been killed and more private universities should have been allowed to grow. If education were reformed and freed from leftist bias, then economy would have been impacted positively in the long run.

angeldude13, iNDiAN.96, VIP and 5 others like this.
  4. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

Yup. I'm satisfied .. could have done better but it's a good job so far.

5. topgear

topgear Regular Member

i agree, education and i & b ministries have been disappointing otherwise a fine performance by modi so far.

6. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Forgot to mention, Parrikar as DM has made great advances. I am really happy and excited about the future developments.

7. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

So far there have been no wrong steps, almost everything which has been said has been done or initiated. short term results will take atleast a year to see . Medium term results will realised around 2018/19. Long term results like railways and defence insustry will come only in next term post 2019.
    No complaints so far...

@fyodor maybe you should add a poll......

topgear likes this.
  8. fyodor

fyodor Regular Member

This govt has gone a historic mandate and even if they can't do it then no one can. There's always going to be some problems but a govt's job is to overcome them somehow. These type of excuses would have looked for puny Manmohan singh but not Modi.

9. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

They have got historic mandate in Lok Sabha elections not Rajya Sabha. The implementations of Yojna is the state policy after getting cleared from central government. If states fail then what can centre do.

Plus according to his plan, he will make states independent of centre at few levels. Generate your revenue and spend on infrastructure.

10. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Arun Shourie is hardly benchmark to judge Modi.

Yes, Modi has been disappointing in areas, but he has actually delivered in some other areas in a short period of time, and also picked some good faces to lead important departments and ministries.

It is however healthy to keep him on his toes. He has no opposition in LS, and with some check from the RS, he should be able to make policy decisions that will be tempered with reason. Going full steam ahead with no checks and balances is not good, and hence, RS as it is, is required.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  11. topgear

topgear Regular Member

only poll promise that has not been initiated is absence of prosecuting corrupt big guns like upa fmr ministers.

12. Kharavela

Kharavela Regular Member

The reason I voted #ModiSarkar is National Security.
    And what better place to evaluate performance of 1 year old #ModiSarkar w.r.t. National Security than DFI ??

IMO, #56inchRocks

13. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

one year is really hardly a fair time for a just assessment - give one term and then let's give judgement at the next election time - one term for Namo is fair - we gave congi multiple 5 year terms , so let's be fair time-wise as well

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  14. Rowdy

Things/people I like
    -Suresh Prabhu
    -DM Parrikar
    *Both are doing very good 9.5/10 i'd say
    -JAM trilogy
    *Very imp set of schemes
    -Reduction of subsidies
    -Foreign relations
    *9.8/10 for sure -0.2 for russia
    Things need to be improved
    -Ganga cleanup
    *Lots of paperwork , little on the ground
    -Swacch Bharath
    *Hard to pin this one on gov as it is more of a people problem
    -Judiciary
    * Need to increase no of courts
    Dissapointing
    -Secularization of Yoga
    -Anti-Hindu RTE
    -Apathy towards hindu temples
    anything to add @Mad Indian @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @maomao @OneGrimPilgrim @Khagesh @Rashna

SafedSagar, salute, maomao and 3 others like this.
  15. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Good summary. Swacch bharat is possible with a big danda and bins at every 100m. Also, no action against PC and other black money holders.

Rowdy likes this.
  16. Rowdy

Yeah but most hindus are morons and would start voting for these morons as soon as the court proceedings start....remember ... too many gandhi boot lickers..... We need to go slow... already case is running against PC, his son and his wife.

17. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

He is just another blowhard politician. He's better than most of them though.

18. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I am not sure. The more I read, the more I realize that AJ is a pimp and saving the ass of top Congress members. Also I think he has been a disaster till now with all the flip-flops on policy issues. For eg. MAT, tax forms etc. He should be shown the door.

I think Modi will probably do that once Prabhu, MP and others get some real Lutyens experience.

19. Rowdy

Yarr AJ is very smart....though he is in BJP .... he is safeguarded himself very well.... I have never heard him being criticized ever. be it oppn or media crooks/presstitues ...... He is a moron, but he is very well connected

20. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    yes; his proximity to the lutyens jholawallas is said to be a reason for that.

Rowdy likes this.
  21. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I call such people crook rather than smart. Anyway, lawyers do not make good economists. He lost little bit of respect he had after becoming FM.

Rowdy likes this.