Hardee's Tactics 1855

Discussion in 'Military History' started by W.G.Ewald, Oct 17, 2014.

1. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

In 1855 at the behest of Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, William J. Hardee published

Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics for the Exercise and Manoeuvres of Troops When Acting as Light Infantry or Riflemen

It appears your Web browser is not configured to display PDF files. No worries, just click here to download the PDF file.

apple likes this.
  3. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Surprised to see you back Mr. Ewald. You do realise you're breaking forum etiquette by making a post on this forum that is actually about the military?

That would be the drills for US Civil War infantry, right? Have you read the book/ are an expert on the period?

Why did Hardee use term light infantry? 1861 you would have had (apparently)"light" infantry,mounted infantry and... what else I really don't know.

Did they still use the term grenadiers then?

Know little about the US Civil War, but know there were Zouave (spelling?) regiments. Were they some kind of ( French fusilier inspired???) "heavy" infantry?

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  4. W.G.Ewald

I have read parts of Hardee's "Tactics" , as well as manuals from the American Revolution (flintlocks). I am not an expert but am doing some heavy reading on the Civil War, and appreciating the magnitude of the tragedy.

"Light infantry" refers to skirmishers as opposed the Line Infantry. Formations of skirmishers grew to as many as 600 men. Cavalry often fought as infantry (e.g. BG John Buford's 1st Cav Div at Gettysburg). Grenades were used in defense and assault of field fortifications, but there were no grenadiers as far as I know.

North and South had Zouaves, patterned after French formations, which led to some confusion on the battlefield.

Gen Lee had his men built extensive fortifications as opposed to confronting the enemy in the field. His men called him "The King of Spades."

Civil War formations were: company, regiment, brigade, division, corps and army.

"A bad penny always turns up."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

:)

Skirmishers, that's a term I've before. Guess I'm most familiar with Australia's military history and we never really got round to organising "regiments of the line". Although, think we had some Colonial era i.e. around 1860, infantry units who were named The So-and-So Sharpshooters who were meant to operate in loose formations

6. W.G.Ewald

[History] Skirmishers of 19th Century and American Civil War

Peter likes this.