Happy Chinese New Year 2013

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
re: Chinese Posters:& Worldwide Chinese Happy New Year

We also wish all the Chinese around the world, a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have just returned from Tangra (Chinatown) in Kolkata after wishing my Chinese brothers and sisters a Happy New Year and saw the Dragon Dance - as good as anywhere else I have seen.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Chinese Posters:& Worldwide Chinese Happy New Year

Chinese New Year: 2013

The Year of the Snake

Chinese New Year is the longest and most important celebration in the Chinese calendar. The Chinese year 4711 begins on Feb. 10, 2013.

Chinese months are reckoned by the lunar calendar, with each month beginning on the darkest day. New Year festivities traditionally start on the first day of the month and continue until the fifteenth, when the moon is brightest. In China, people may take weeks of holiday from work to prepare for and celebrate the New Year.

A Charming New Year
Legend has it that in ancient times, Buddha asked all the animals to meet him on Chinese New Year. Twelve came, and Buddha named a year after each one. He announced that the people born in each animal's year would have some of that animal's personality. Those born in snake years are wise, charming, gregarious, introverted, generous, and smart. Audrey Hepburn, Bob Dylan, Jean Simmons, Oprah Winfrey, Virginia Woolf, Brad Pitt, Greta Garbo, and Sir Roger Bannister were born in the year of the snake.

Fireworks and Family Feasts
At Chinese New Year celebrations people wear red clothes, decorate with poems on red paper, and give children "lucky money" in red envelopes. Red symbolizes fire, which according to legend can drive away bad luck. The fireworks that shower the festivities are rooted in a similar ancient custom. Long ago, people in China lit bamboo stalks, believing that the crackling flames would frighten evil spirits.

The Lantern Festival
In China, the New Year is a time of family reunion. Family members gather at each other's homes for visits and shared meals, most significantly a feast on New Year's Eve. In the United States, however, many early Chinese immigrants arrived without their families, and found a sense of community through neighborhood associations instead. Today, many Chinese-American neighborhood associations host banquets and other New Year events.

The lantern festival is held on the fifteenth day of the first lunar month. Some of the lanterns may be works of art, painted with birds, animals, flowers, zodiac signs, and scenes from legend and history. People hang glowing lanterns in temples, and carry lanterns to an evening parade under the light of the full moon.

In many areas the highlight of the lantern festival is the dragon dance. The dragon—which might stretch a hundred feet long—is typically made of silk, paper, and bamboo. Traditionally the dragon is held aloft by young men who dance as they guide the colorful beast through the streets. In the United States, where the New Year is celebrated with a shortened schedule, the dragon dance always takes place on a weekend. In addition, many Chinese-American communities have added American parade elements such as marching bands and floats.

Chinese New Year: 2013 — Infoplease.com

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
being someone born in the year of the pig (january 1984) i must say that the water snake and i are not really best friends:p well atleast that's what my horoscope says.
anyhoo have a kickass year of the snake mateys!

nimo_cn

Country flag
being someone born in the year of the pig (january 1984) i must say that the water snake and i are not really best friends:p well atleast that's what my horoscope says.
anyhoo have a kickass year of the snake mateys!
1984 is the year of mouse!

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I miss my Singapore days and the Chinese New Year celebrations there!

It was such great fun!

I am sure in China they are going joyous today.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was born as per the Chinese in the year of the Dog.

Hardly nice to know that it was the Dog, but was spared from being during the Year of the Pig or Snake!

Here is what the Chinese feel about us Doggie types:

Chinese sign Dog

Dogs are loyal, credible, merciful and always ready to give a helping hand. They always defend their family and friends when slandered, but can be disappointed sometimes when the favor is not appreciated or returned. Although their friendly nature sometimes they refuse so see warning signs concerning their behavior to close ones which can cause problems. Dogs are only angry for acceptable reasons, but are not remembrance of things long past. The dog always play by the rules and are honest. Dogs are direct and its either black or white, if you have won their confidence then you have a friend for life.

Dogs always work very hard and are intelligent. They are very private and are good with discretion and are always successful in professions like law and psychology, often professions that require high morale. They don't appreciate status and strive not to be in the center of attention, they always have both feet firmly planted on the ground. Dogs are well balanced and can combine tough professional carrier and a stabile family life.

Spelling errors are from the original!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Happy new year to the Chinis.

May your pay increase from 50 cents to a dollar!! :troll:

No seriously, I hope you have a great year and more importantly a peaceful year.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pretty depressing news I would imagine for Chinis.

==="¢====

BEIJING: China's new leader Xi Jinping is bringing about a change in the social and political atmosphere with the year of the snake beginning with subdued celebrations across the country on Sunday.

Xi, born in the year of the snake, is scheduled to take over as the country's president in early March. He has put curbs on expensive celebrations of the New Year and the Spring Festival in China. Use of fireworks has been restricted and there is a sharp drop in the number of people travelling this festive season as compared to earlier years.

The elite in the central and provincial government are running scared with the Communist party's anti-corruption officials widening the scope of their investigations which now include sexual impropriety. A Guangdong official is the latest one to be punished, for figuring in a leaked sex video tape.

Xi contributed to this fear by asking people to make "sharp criticism" of the Communist Party and keep the cadre on toes.

"Xi Jinping has urged the Communist Party of China (CPC) to be more tolerant of criticism and receptive to the views of non-communists," state-run news agency Xinhua said.

"The CPC should be able to put up with sharp criticism, correct mistakes if it has committed them and avoid them if it has not," Xinhua quoted Xi as saying, adding that non-party members should "have the courage to tell the truth, speak words jarring on the ear, and truthfully reflect public aspirations."

Hotels and holiday resorts frequented by officials and executives of all kinds -provincial politicians, government staff, Communist party cadre and executives of both state-owned and private companies— are attracting a lot less visitors, sources said. These officials are under close vigil of the party's disciplinary authorities engaged in their vocation of booking charges.

The New Year was also marked by the government dispatching four Chinese ships, spotted on Sunday in the disputed East China Sea waters. Japan said it was considering releasing video footage and pictures as evidence of a Chinese frigate's alleged radar-lock incident.

On Friday, Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe demanded Beijing apologise and admit to the incident which occurred late January, after Chinese authorities flatly denied Tokyo's accusation.

With subdued festivities, China ushers in new year - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

nimo_cn

Country flag
Pretty depressing news I would imagine for Chinis.

==="¢====

BEIJING: China's new leader Xi Jinping is bringing about a change in the social and political atmosphere with the year of the snake beginning with subdued celebrations across the country on Sunday.

Xi, born in the year of the snake, is scheduled to take over as the country's president in early March. He has put curbs on expensive celebrations of the New Year and the Spring Festival in China. Use of fireworks has been restricted and there is a sharp drop in the number of people travelling this festive season as compared to earlier years.

The elite in the central and provincial government are running scared with the Communist party's anti-corruption officials widening the scope of their investigations which now include sexual impropriety. A Guangdong official is the latest one to be punished, for figuring in a leaked sex video tape.

Xi contributed to this fear by asking people to make "sharp criticism" of the Communist Party and keep the cadre on toes.

"Xi Jinping has urged the Communist Party of China (CPC) to be more tolerant of criticism and receptive to the views of non-communists," state-run news agency Xinhua said.

"The CPC should be able to put up with sharp criticism, correct mistakes if it has committed them and avoid them if it has not," Xinhua quoted Xi as saying, adding that non-party members should "have the courage to tell the truth, speak words jarring on the ear, and truthfully reflect public aspirations."

Hotels and holiday resorts frequented by officials and executives of all kinds -provincial politicians, government staff, Communist party cadre and executives of both state-owned and private companies— are attracting a lot less visitors, sources said. These officials are under close vigil of the party's disciplinary authorities engaged in their vocation of booking charges.

The New Year was also marked by the government dispatching four Chinese ships, spotted on Sunday in the disputed East China Sea waters. Japan said it was considering releasing video footage and pictures as evidence of a Chinese frigate's alleged radar-lock incident.

On Friday, Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe demanded Beijing apologise and admit to the incident which occurred late January, after Chinese authorities flatly denied Tokyo's accusation.

With subdued festivities, China ushers in new year - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site
the news couldnt be better!

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I will forget and write Year of Dragon on my checks. :-(

amoy

Happy New Year!

Stamps of Snake Year 2013

Snake isn't always sinister in Chinese culture. In a well known drama a white snake falls in love with a poor student. Therefore she becomes a pretty girl and marry him. A monk locks her under a pagoda by the side of West Lake Hangzhou (the most beautiful city) when he perceives that. Many years later her son grows up and saves her.

Legend of the White Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
badguy2000 Happy Chinese New year! China 31
t_co Happy Chinese New Year! China 7
Ray Happy New Year to Chinese posters Introductions & Announcements 3
badguy2000 happy chinese new year! China 11