Hamid Mir's terrifying indiscretions(His two facets-modern or bigot)????

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
The execution of an ISI agent –Ishtiaq Ahmed

It must be an embarrassment for SAARC that recently conferred an award on Hamid Mir for conscientious journalism. That the same individual networks with two of the most bloodthirsty terrorist organisations in the world is an interesting case of duplicity

A controversy is raging in Pakistan these days over the events that led to the execution on April 30, 2010 of a former ISI agent, Khalid Khawaja by a hitherto unknown group called the Asian Tigers. He was found dead in Miranshah, North Waziristan on April 30, 2010 — a month after being kidnapped by the Asian Tigers. He had gone there along with the legendary Colonel Imam (Sultan Amir Tarar) and a Pakistani-origin UK journalist Saad Qureshi who was making a documentary on the life of Colonel Imam. Khalid Khawaja's body was found riddled with bullets. A written note left by the executioners stated that such was the fate of all agents of the US. Khalid Khawaja was a squadron leader in the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) before he changed career to become an ISI officer. He was very close to Osama bin Laden. Apparently he was dismissed from the ISI for his outspoken views on jihad and in support of al Qaeda.

Some years ago, I saw him on an international television network, telling the interviewer something like this: 'You value life, we consider worldly existence a transition so how can you fight with us?' These were probably not the exact words he used but the message he wanted to convey was precisely what I have said: to deride the secularised western world's emphasis on the importance of life on this earth while Khalid Khawaja claimed that he subscribed to a weltanschauung that valued life after death. He was of course presenting the jihadist point of view, which has in recent years produced hundreds of suicide bombers who while destroying thousands of lives have themselves put an end to theirs in the hope of milk and honey and doe-eyed damsels awaiting them.

On that occasion I could not help noticing the irony in Khalid Khawaja's derision of life on earth: he had himself succeeded in growing middle-aged and some white hair in his beard could also be seen. He had not volunteered to become a suicide bomber, but had probably been very successful and satisfied in snuffing out the lives of many others. Now of course he has been executed by some group who found him to have been a CIA agent, a Qadiyani and all that. His wife, however, claims that he is a shaheed (martyr) and therefore already in paradise. I find all such arguments arbitrary and meaningless.

What is at stake is the fundamental question: should one not value life on this earth and give every person an opportunity to live his life in as fulfilling a manner as possible? It is possible that there is some existence even after death but I do not know of any culture where taking life is celebrated. So, the comparison between those who value life and those who value an existence after death is fundamentally a flawed one because of the 'two states of being', only one is confirmed and in all cultures when someone dies those who love or care for that person are struck with grief. Khalid Khawaja's son Osama Khalid has decided to go to court to find out who was responsible for the execution of his father. That is a perfectly understandable response of a son devastated by the death of his father. Nobody would give him the love and affection that his father could. That is why I believe Khalid Khawaja was incontrovertibly in error for making fun of those who value life.

The second question is: who released the tape that shows Hamid Mir allegedly telling a Taliban — most certainly a Punjabi because of the accent — that Khalid Khawaja was an American agent and a Qadiyani? There is little doubt in my mind that the tape is genuine. Hamid Mir is known for his links with the Taliban and al Qaeda. His attempts to deny that he had said all that the people hear him say, makes him appear pathetic.

However, there must be someone willing to betray Hamid Mir, and the question is why? Is it because recently Hamid Mir made some very uncharacteristic statements condemning the genocide in Bangladesh, and that may have earned him the ire of those who think what we did in Bangladesh was justified and therefore Hamid Mir should have kept his mouth shut? Perhaps like Khalid Khawaja even Hamid Mir has become a liability and is therefore expendable.

It would be good if Hamid Mir's alleged complicity in the murder of Khalid Khawaja is properly investigated. It must be an embarrassment for SAARC that recently conferred an award on Hamid Mir for conscientious journalism. That the same individual networks with two of the most bloodthirsty terrorist organisations in the world — al Qaeda and the Taliban — is an interesting case of duplicity.

Some years ago, I met a young man at a party in Lahore who turned out to be the son of a hero of the 1965 War. I felt obliged to say some words of praise for his father. That brought a smile to the young man's face. As soon as I moved into another circle at the party, somebody who had overheard me commented with the usual Punjabi flare for abuse that the fellow I was being so nice to was involved in bringing nuclear waste from the West and dumping it in Pakistan. If true, that for me was the most unpatriotic thing to do and the fact that the son of a war hero was making quick bucks out of it showed that we as a nation are for sale or rent rather easily.

When did all this start happening? It is impossible to put a date on it. All I know is that unlike India where a freedom struggle went on for a long time before freedom was granted, we got Pakistan because the British believed Pakistan would be the more reliable ally willing to provide the bases needed to patrol the Persian Gulf and to contain the Soviet Union. All this started some years before we gained independence. That of course was not the jazba (feelings) of the masses who believed that Pakistan will be their liberation from want and hunger.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Maj-Gen Nadeem Ejaz: in the dock for many crimes

Monday, April 26, 2010

By Hamid Mir

ISLAMABAD: For the first time in the history of Pakistan, political leaders from the Punjab, Sindh, Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have united against a serving Army officer. They want the government to start investigations against the said Army officer not only on one count but also on many others.

The dubious role of former DG Military Intelligence Major General Nadeem Ejaz was an important unifying factor behind a large consensus between the PPP, the PML-N, the PML-Q and other parties on the 18th Amendment. Nadeem Ejaz was responsible of victimising not only the PPP and the PML-N but also abused his unlimited and unchecked powers against some important leaders of the PML-Q as the DG MI. At one stage in April 2008, he wanted Musharraf to replace General Kayani because Kayani was not ready to involve the Army in safeguarding the political interests of Musharraf but this effort failed.

The former DG MI is accused of kidnapping many political activists not only in Balochistan but also in the Punjab. Nadeem Ejaz once kidnapped not only the security guards of Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain but also picked up the brother of a sitting MPA of the PML-Q for settling his personal scores with the then chief minister of the Punjab. Background interactions with leaders of these political parties revealed that notorious Nadeem Ejaz had become a monster in the last days of the Musharraf regime and even after the retirement of Musharraf as Army chief, Nadeem Ejaz was directly reporting to him bypassing new Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

A UN Commission has recently claimed that after the assassination of Benazir Bhutto on December 27, 2007, the crime scene was hosed down actually on the orders of the then DG MI Major General Nadeem Ejaz. The government has constituted a three-member committee to pinpoint the responsibility for hosing down the crime scene on December 27, 2007. Political circles in Islamabad are of the view that the role of Nadeem Ejaz was not limited just in the hosing down the crime scene on December 27. He should be investigated thoroughly because he was directly or indirectly related to many other important events like the assassination of Akbar Bugti in August 2006 and massacre in Karachi on May 12, 2007.

Very few people know that Nadeem Ejaz started his political role in December 1999 when he was a colonel posted in Lahore. He forced many Nawaz Sharif loyalists to leave the PML-N. He blackmailed many PPP leaders to extend their support to the Musharraf regime. A businessman associated with the PPP, Mian Arshad, was grilled and tortured to give information about the secret accounts of Jahangir Badar. Nadeem Ejaz called Mian Arshad many times and asked him to cooperate. When there was no positive result, Main Arshad was arrested and tortured. Late Benazir Bhutto tried her level best to rescue Mian Arshad by writing letters to human rights organisations but Mian Arshad lost his life due to torture in the custody of Army officials.

Nadeem Ejaz personally met PML-N leader Khawaja Saad Rafique in December 1999 and told him to leave Nawaz Sharif. After exchanging hot words with Saad, he contacted his brother Salman Rafique and gave him a warning. When Rafique brothers refused to oblige him, he arrested Saad Rafique along with Javaid Hashmi, Khawaja Hasaan and Aftab Asghar Dar through the Lahore police and ordered that they be tortured. Saad Rafique still remembers that police officials in Model Town police station, Lahore, told him that they were beating him on the orders of Nadeem Ejaz.

One day, Nadeem Ejaz summoned PML-N leader Tehmina Daultana and her late husband Zahid Wahla in camp jail, Lahore, and asked them to stop supporting Begum Kulsoom Nawaz. This meeting was taking place in the office of jail chief. When Javaid Hashmi came back to jail after appearing in an accountability court, he heard Nadeem Ejaz shouting at Tehmina Daultana. Javaid Hashmi was told that this meeting was going on for many hours. He crashed the door of the jail chief's office and tried to grab Nadeem Ejaz by his neck. According to Javaid Hashmi, "The brave Nadeem Ejaz locked himself in the bathroom of the jail chief and the same night I was blindfolded, my hands were cuffed behind my back and I faced torture for the whole night."

Another victim of Nadeem Ejaz was Senator Pervez Rashid. This soft-spoken politician was tortured at Sarwar Road police station. Pervez Rashid told this correspondent, "I have no doubt that Nadeem Ejaz was the person behind the worst ever torture I faced in my political life."

According to police sources, one day Nadeem Ejaz recorded the cries of Pervez Rashid during torture on a small tape recorder and gave lot of money to an Army Subedar as reward who had tortured the senator. Pervez Rashid is sure that Nadeem Ejaz recorded his screams for Musharraf.

For the next few years, he remained posted in Lahore and was promoted as a brigadier there. He became DG of MI in February 2005. He was given the task to win the local bodies elections for the Musharraf loyalists. During the local bodies election of 2005, he developed differences with CM Punjab Pervaiz Elahi. Nadeem Ejaz was supporting Sardar Aqil Umar in one town of Lahore while Pervaiz Elahi was supporting Sardar Kamil Umar. Ultimately, Kamil Umar won the election and Nadeem Ejaz became an enemy of the CM Punjab. One day, the MI kidnapped the real brother of MPA Ilyas Gujar from Kasur, who was very close to Pervez Elahi. Brother of the MPA was released after five days when CM Punjab directly approached Pervez Musharraf for help. That was not the end. After a few days, the MI kidnapped the security guards of Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain when they were coming back from the Lahore Airport after dropping Salik Hussain and Moonis Elahi. A military vehicle collided with the jeep of Salik Hussain, who was not present inside. Some of the guards were arrested and tortured. CM Punjab called Nadeem Ejaz and requested to release his people but there was no mercy. Nadeem Ejaz refused to release them and said that they were gangsters and CM's son Moonis Elahi was the leader of these gangsters. Again it was Musharraf who ordered Nadeem Ejaz to release the security guards of Shujaat.

Nadeem Ejaz developed more differences with Shujaat Hussain when PML-Q leaders tried to make peace with late Nawab Akbar Bugti in 2006 through talks. Many PML-Q leaders have told this correspondent that at the first stage, Nadeem Ejaz used them for easing down the tension but when Bugtis vacated some important trenches around Dera Bugti after talks, Nadeem Ejaz started bombing the area and forced Bugti to take refuge on mountains. They held Nadeem Ejaz responsible for the death of Akbar Bugti and said that they were even ready to provide evidence in any court of law against Nadeem Ejaz.

He was the one who advised Musharraf to call Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry to the Army House and demand his resignation. When Justice Iftikhar refused, it was Nadeem Ejaz who pressured him directly. The same evening when Chaudhry Shujaat met Justice Iftikhar and tried to settle down the problem, it was Nadeem Ejaz who sent lifters to the residence of the CJP and moved his official vehicles away from the house. On the morning of March 12, Nadeem Ejaz ordered the Islamabad administration that Justice Iftikhar should not reach the Supreme Court. When the CJP came out of his residence, he was manhandled by officials in plainclothes.

PML-Q leaders are also ready to say that a plan was hatched to park big vehicles to stop the convoy of Justice Iftikhar and then attack the convoy on May 5, 2007 near Kharian on the GT Road. Nadeem Ejaz wanted the Chaudhrys of Punjab to provide some mercenaries to start firing on the vehicle of Aitzaz Ahsan to show their loyalty to Musharraf. Again, the CM Punjab refused to become a part of the plan.

This plan was implemented by Nadeem Ejaz in Karachi on May 12, 2007. According to sources in the MQM, Nadeem Ejaz used the whole provincial administration of Sindh to implement the plan in Karachi and finally MQM was held responsible for the whole mayhem.

Major General Nadeem Ejaz also submitted an affidavit against Justice Iftikhar in the court and claimed that the chief justice wanted Musharraf to dissolve the assemblies and hold elections under him. This affidavit proved to be a lie in the court. After the imposition of emergency on November 3, 2007, Nadeem Ejaz was the one who was directly and indirectly meeting with many judges of the superior courts and convinced many of them to accept Abdul Hameed Dogar as the new chief justice. Some of the "Dogar Judges" are now part of the Supreme Court and they may have a soft corner for Nadeem Ejaz.

Ejaz was also involved in media affairs. He helped in arranging funds and investors in the launching of at least two pro-Musharraf TV channels in 2007. He threatened and blackmailed many journalists through different means and tortured some of them after getting them kidnapped.

Many Baloch leaders alleged that Nadeem Ejaz was responsible for rigging the 2008 elections in many constituencies of Balochistan. They say that he did it directly on the orders of Musharraf and not Kayani. Sources in the military establishment claimed that Kayani fired at least three colonels from the ISI who were trying to help some politicians during the elections 2008 but the MI chief clearly violated his policy. It is important to note that Kayani became Army chief on November 29th, 2007 just a few weeks before the election and it was difficult for him to immediately change the DG MI.

It was also learnt on good authority that Nadeem Ejaz suggested to Musharraf secretly in April 2008 to replace Kayani with someone else. Musharraf discussed this possibility with some of his close aides but could not implement it because DG ISI Nadeem Taj was not ready to help him. The UN Commission has given a clean chit to DG ISI Lt Gen Nadeem Taj and former DG IB Brig (retd) Ejaz Shah. The UN Commission directly interviewed Ejaz Shah in February 2010 and now Ejaz Shah has also joined the FIA investigations but Nadeem Ejaz has not faced any investigation.

The top leadership of PPP, PML-N and PML-Q is in contact with each other on the investigation issue of Nadeem Ejaz. They want the government to, at least, start another probe against former DG MI in connection with his alleged role in the killing of Akbar Bugti. They think that this is the right opportunity for political leadership to prove that Pakistan has changed and now the Army officers are also accountable like politicians.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hamid Mir's letter: The tape drama was organized by an intelligence agency after I wrote an article against a serving general of the Pakistan Army, General Nadeem Ejaz, who was involved in Benazir Bhutto's assassination

Pakistani journalist Hamid Mir, who has been linked by several Pakistani websites to the killing of a former intelligence official by the Taliban, refutes the accusations in this e-mail sent to The Washington Times in response to an article that appeared in Tuesday's editions:

Dear Sir,

The Washington Times has published a story today "Terrorist Hit Puts Pakistani Reporter Under Fire" (by Eli Lake – Reporter – The Washington Times – 25 May 2010)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/25/terrorist-hit-puts-pakistani-reporter-under-fire/pri

WT said that Hamid Mir has old links with extremists because he interviewed Osama bin Laden. What about my interviews with Nelson Mandela, Tony Blair, Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell, General Richard B Myers, Richard Armitage and Hilary Rodham Clinton? First of all, I am not the only one who interviewed Osama bin Laden. Robert Fisk interviewed him before me. Peter Bergen and Rahimullah Yousafzai are other examples. Now there are contradictions to be noted. Daily Times claiming that intelligence agencies have presented a report against me to the [Pakistani] Prime Minister.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\05\20\story_20-5-2010_pg1_6

Initially a government senator was also attacking me on different TV channels but Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira clearly said on May 25 that Hamid Mir is a target of a conspiracy and government have nothing against him. President Zardari has also cleared it to me personally that nobody from [the Pakistan People's Party] is involved in this conspiracy. Family of Khalid Kahwaja openly declared me a CIA agent and also accepted that one son of Kahwaja works for al Qaeda. Come and see that banners are hanging on Murree Road and other areas of Rawalpindi in my support. These banners have been placed by traders, students and other sections of life. Common Pakistanis are with me but a section of ruling elite is against me. I am forced to believe that some elements in the intelligence used my media colleagues against me because I was not in control of any intelligence outfit. One of my crimes was that I wrote an article against a serving general of the Pakistan Army.

I am still not sure that who is my actual enemy because nobody have come out openly against me yet. There is no FIR (police complaint), no official inquiry and nobody contacted me for any investigation. According to my information, this whole drama was organized after one of my articles against a serving Army General, Nadeem Ejaz, was published in The News on April 26.This General was involved in the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. U.N. report pointed fingers towards him but President Asif Ali Zardari government failed to nab him.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=28496

This conspiracy was hatched by some elements in the intelligence outfits with the help of a newspaper published from Lahore.This newspaper Daily Times was the first to publish this scandal against me on May 16. DT published a one-sided story with a one-sided analysis on the front page. DT tried to establish that I am a Taliban collaborator and I am responsible for the killing of Khalid Khawaja. In fact I received threatening e-mails from the same group which killed Khalid Khawaja and I mentioned these e-mails in my column of Daily Jang on May 6. I will produce many other facts in front of inquiry committees of (Rawalpindi Islamabad Union of Journalists). This column is in Urdu, but I mentioned that Asian Tigers is threatening media.

http://jang.com.pk/jang/may2010-daily/06-05-2010/col6.htm

Secondly, I can send you dozens of columns written in English and Urdu in which I criticized both Taliban and security forces but I am the one who visited Swat when it was a no-go area and I wrote columns about the atrocities of Taliban against innocent women. Read these two articles in English.)

http://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=156813

I predicted victory of security forces against Taliban.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=176353

I did maximum [TV] shows against suicide bombings. Many scholars who opposed suicide bombings in my show were killed by Taliban. Mufti Sarfraz Naeemi, Maulana Hasan Jan and Maulana Merajudin are three examples. I also received threats and then I did shows against the threats.

Now come to the Khalid Khawaja. I had no personal enmity with him. I never resigned from Daily Ausaf because of Khawaja sahib. Please contact the administration of Daily Ausaf in Islamabad. I resigned because I joined Geo TV in 2002. Khawaja sahib participated in my shows many times and interestingly, I asked him some of the questions you raised in your column. He was a multi-dimensional personality. He was assassinated in April and my alleged conversation with him surfaced in the 3rd week of May. Nobody is owning this tape. Nobody is interested to know that who is actually responsible for the death of Khawaja sahib? Nobody raising question that who actually sent Khawaja sahib to tribal areas? This tape drama had only one objective: Some forces wanted me to shut my mouth. That's all.

Khalid Khawaja was killed in North Wazirastan. Everybody knew that he was kidnapped in Mir Ali but the alleged conversation said that he was with Tariq Afridi of Darra Adamkhel. According to media reports Taliban killed him because they suspected him of organizing an attack on their commander Hakilmullah Mehsud. There is no drone attack against Tariq Afridi till today. Before the assassination Khalid Khawaja confessed in a video message that he was an agent of ISI and CIA. But my alleged conversation said that he was not ISI but a CIA agent.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...n/news/pakistan/04-khalid-khwaja-killed-qs-13

Khalid Khawaja was assassinated on April 30. Intelligence agencies remained silent for three weeks. In the meanwhile I did a show on the road with the families of abducted political workers in front of parliament house on May 5. One journalist, Shakeel Turabi, also spoke in my show and claimed that his son was kidnapped by agencies. That was the first-ever talk show with the families of missing persons in which a government minister Firdous Ashiq Awan was speechless in front of woman crying for their dear ones. Many people feared that I will face trouble after that show. Just read the comments of the viewers who clearly said that "Hamid Mir will no more be tolerated."

http://pkpolitics.com/2010/05/05/capital-talk-5-may-2010/

After three weeks of the murder of Khawaja, a fabricated audio tape was provided to some journalists and Daily Times published a story against me on May 16. They tried to link me with Taliban.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\05\16\story_16-5-2010_pg7_8

Above conversation is very interesting. Hamid Mir is saying that Khalid Khawaja was not ISI but a CIA agent and the unidentified militant is claiming that Khalid Khawaja was involved in the killing of some Army Brigadiers in Rawalpindi. Here is the so-called conversation:

UM: Yes, he used to ask my companions to work in Pakistan as we say. Actually, the killings of brigadiers in Rawalpindi might have been arranged by him, I think.

HM: It might be possible, but I have been watching this guy for the last 13 or 14 years and he is a suspected man.

Again Hamid Mir saying that Khalid Khawaja is linked with Americans and the militant saying that a son of Khawaja is with al Qaeda.

HM: He (Khawaja) himself has confessed in front me that he had links with William Casey. Ok! Leave William, ask him about the Qadiyanis, because I personally believe that Qadiyanis are worse than infidels, what kind of links does he have with Qadiyanis? What relationship does he have with Mansoor Ijaz? Why does he use his money? Why does he go everywhere with him when he comes to Pakistan? Why does he bring him to the mujahideen?

UM: Yes, he has a son in al Qaeda.

Question, is that if these militants are Taliban and Kahwaja was also involved in terrorism then why they killed him? I think this militant is fake and somebody recorded his voice and fitted in a so-called conversation with me. In this conversation I said that I resigned from Daily Ausaf because Khawaja hatched a conspiracy against me. In fact, I resigned Ausaf in 2002 because i joined Geo TV. Here i am sure that they used my doctored voice but incorrect information about me never helpedthem.

Now you are accusing me to have links with Taliban but the son of Khalid Kahwaja saying that Hamid Mir is a CIA agent. He said these things on Royal TV and his statement was also published in Daily Times. (Zaid Hamid also declared me a CIA agent last year).

http://www.daily.pk/khalid-khawaja’s-son-osama-points-finger-at-hamid-mir-17709/

I will not say anything about the son of Khawaja sahib because he lost his father but let me tell you one thing clearly. I never wanted that Khawaja sahib should be killed. I never had this kind of conversation with any unidentified man and I am open to any inquiry. Lastly I must say that I will be vindicated because I am innocent.

Lastly, will you please raise this question that no common Pakistani can enter in Tribal Areas without the local ID card these days? We cannot go beyond Bannu but how did Khalid Khawaja along with two other people reached to North Waziristan? Who allowed them to enter from Bannu to FATA? Who actually sent them? Why I am the only target? I never sent them to North Waziristan. Why my critics are not interested in saving the lives of other two hostages?

Kindly publish my clarification that I am open to any kind of inquiry. From the day one but today government spokespersons have given me a clean chit.

http://criticalppp.org/lubp/archives/11540

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles