HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and Light Observation Helicopter (LOH)

tejas warrior

Country flag
Cheetah, Chetak choppers to retire after string of crashes raise safety concerns

Army has firmed up plans to retire its oldest light-utility helicopters, pushing the panic button, as a string of recent crashes have blemished the safety record of the machines.

A South Block source said that the early variants of the Cheetah and Chetak fleet will be replaced by the locally-made advanced light helicopter (ALH), also known as Dhruv.

The source said the army’s aviation wing would replace 41 Cheetahs and Chetaks with new helicopters from the “ALH reserve stock” and the proposal would be sent for Cabinet committee on security approval soon.

The army and air force grounded their fleets of 280 light-utility helicopters last December, concerned if the machines were fit to fly, after three aviators were killed in a crash in West Bengal.

The Cheetah and Chetak helicopters, lifeline of troops in high-altitude areas, including the Siachen glacier, are being cleared for flying in batches by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) after carrying out a comprehensive safety check.

The Kamov-226T light utility choppers, to be built with Russia, are to replace these helicopters. However, the $1-billion programme is yet to kick off and the military may have to wait several years for the new machines. Russia will supply 60 helicopters in flyaway condition while the remaining 140 will be manufactured in India.

“The manufacturing line of the ALH is quite stable and the machines are coming out at a pretty steady rate.
The Kamovs will take time to come,” a senior officer said. The army operates a mix of 150 Cheetahs and Chetaks.
The design of these helicopters is more than 50 years old and their airworthiness is being questioned after a string of mishaps. Nine personnel were killed in six accidents involving these machines during 2012-15. The Cheetahs play a crucial role in supporting the army on the Siachen glacier, one of the world’s highest battlefields, flying at more than 20,000 feet.

A group of army wives met defence minister Manohar Parrikar in 2015, demanding the helicopters be retired. HAL has licence-produced 625 Cheetah and Chetak helicopters. It no longer builds them but is responsible for their maintenance and repair, a cause for concern.

http://m.hindustantimes.com/india-n...ty-concerns/story-YmF1kmWnAYdR8Zn7RQsZiP.html

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

tejas warrior

Country flag
The light utility helicopter (LUH) is in high demand. How have recent flight trials been?
LUH will be flying at Aero India show in Bangalore as part of our rotary wing formation.

The chopper is flying well and we reached a speed of 200 km/h. If the pace is continued, we’re confident of getting the basic platform clearance for the chopper by the end of 2017. It is a very aggressive plan but we are confident.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...hairman-hal/articleshow/57116375.cms?from=mdr

abingdonboy

Country flag
What a beauty! Hate this colour scheme though, she would look SO good in the solid desert camo or grey elements seen, the disruptive pattern the IA insists on is so lame. The IAF LUHs will be in grey and look great.

The light utility helicopter (LUH) is in high demand. How have recent flight trials been?
LUH will be flying at Aero India show in Bangalore as part of our rotary wing formation.

The chopper is flying well and we reached a speed of 200 km/h. If the pace is continued, we’re confident of getting the basic platform clearance for the chopper by the end of 2017. It is a very aggressive plan but we are confident.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...hairman-hal/articleshow/57116375.cms?from=mdr
Insanely impressive work by HAL, first flight in 2016, IOC in 2017 and production starting in 2018.

Scr*w the Russians and their Ka-226.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I Think this is the second prototype. Tail Number on this 4630. The first one shown below is 4620
You're right!
This:

looks like it is the 2nd prototype. The tail number of this LUH is 4530 but the first prototype had the tail number 4520 (also a different camo):

And I'm pretty sure I spotted the TD-1 LUH (in orginal paint job as above) in another pic at Aero India 2017:

sreenevasachha

Country flag
Good work done by HAL
In Previous aero india LUH was a mockup ,but now it is flying . It is awesome feel. I hope same would happen to IMRH in next aero india

Sent from my SM-J200G using Tapatalk

busesaway

If Russia wants defense deals, it needs to sell knowledge and education to India too. India needs jobs and intelligence, on top of hardware.

Is this helicopter expected to be used in combat, or for simply coastguard and transport/rescue topics?

xeaaex

Impressive work by hal, hal is improving in helicopter department i am sure after this LCA experience they will do well in fighter plane department.
Also some credit goes to current BJP Government, it wouldn't have been possible in the regime of scamgress and there bar bala head.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Impressive work by hal, hal is improving in helicopter department i am sure after this LCA experience they will do well in fighter plane department.
Also some credit goes to current BJP Government, it wouldn't have been possible in the regime of scamgress and there bar bala head.
Bit off topic:

My friend visited H@L Nashik for some vendor meet and this time he was astonished to see the changed approch of staff/mamagment compared to last visit before 3 years.

Things are moving fast and a lot of stress is been given on improvement.

Things like attendance,work culture,automation,procurement,work efficiency has also changed a lot.

God knows what PM/DM did to H@L but it's going good.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

abingdonboy

Country flag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will be in production in 2018 with IOC being attained by 2017 end.

So we will soon be seeing a the LUH with all the gear the users want (SDS and EO pod) being tested.

2nd prototype is already ready (and can be sen at Aero India) I wonder how many more will be churned out.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles