HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

busesaway

It would be good if they added the ability to counter nuclear submarines as well, since Chinese aggression in the area appears to be limited to submarines as of now.

Chinmoy

Country flag
It would be good if they added the ability to counter nuclear submarines as well, since Chinese aggression in the area appears to be limited to submarines as of now.
LCH is specifically designed for high altitude warfare n troop support. ASW role is not for it.

busesaway

I notice that South Korea already has helicopters of a stronger configuration, with the ability to fight against naval warfare and submarines.

LCH is specifically designed for high altitude warfare n troop support. ASW role is not for it.
Are there any developments happening for native helicopters that can be used by the navy for surface marine warfare and anti-submarine warfare? I'm also think that moderate support for troop transport and land warfare would also be good, in order to rid South India of its air force in favor of a naval based air force.

I am thinking that something akin to the Sikorsky SH-60B Seahawk or the AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat would be the best option, since that has a large range of abilities, is fairly stronger in terms of statistics. But I want it to be natively built, ideally with partnerships where the foriegn company teaches the Indians.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
I notice that South Korea already has helicopters of a stronger configuration, with the ability to fight against naval warfare and submarines.

Are there any developments happening for native helicopters that can be used by the navy for surface marine warfare and anti-submarine warfare? I'm also think that moderate support for troop transport and land warfare would also be good, in order to rid South India of its air force in favor of a naval based air force.

I am thinking that something akin to the Sikorsky SH-60B Seahawk or the AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat would be the best option, since that has a large range of abilities, is fairly stronger in terms of statistics. But I want it to be natively built, ideally with partnerships where the foriegn company teaches the Indians.
I think you might have missed out on this pic...

Chinmoy

Country flag

Did you missed it out?

39f49f864456158f803289fddd38756e.jpg

Pandora

Country flag
what about 50 calibre bullets???????????????????
You cannot achieve anything in LCH,it is meant to take on tanks and infantry which mostly equipped with 7.62 HMG or 12.6 mm vehicle mounted gun.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

.50 cal is 12.7×99mm NATO..

LCH is tested against Armour piercing incendiary 12.7×108mm of Russian HMG as it existed in our inventory which is powerful than Western 50cal 12.7x99mm ..

Left is Russian .50cal vs Right is American .50cal ..

There is a reason why .50cal are called anti material round. They were designed to take down tank armour. Now you can't have a Light Combat Helicopter with tank armour in it. Could you? :)
You cannot achieve anything in LCH,it is meant to take on tanks and infantry which mostly equipped with 7.62 HMG or 12.6 mm vehicle mounted gun.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I'm thinking about military helicopters that can be stored on an aircraft carrier for use in naval operations - mainly against surface marine combat, anti-submarine combat, coastguard, and search-and-rescure operations.
We might see that after we see the Indian MRH go into production (sometime before 2025).
EOI has gone out for outsourcing the manufacture and assembly of the reduction gear module assembly

Proposed requirement schedule by HAL
411 LCH? Did the Army increase its requirements from the original 114 or are those meant for export? Do we even have any firm orders for export of LCH? And looking at that pace, it does not seem like the production of LCH is going to stop even after 2025. If all these are for the Indian Army, then I am on cloud 9 right now.

Also, how many Dhruv do we have deployed in our Armed Forces? They already have produced 231 as of February this year. SO the total number of Dhruvs produced will be 450-ish? So our Armed Forces plan to have ~430 Dhruvs in service? I expected the number to be more.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
We might see that after we see the Indian MRH go into production (sometime before 2025).

411 LCH? Did the Army increase its requirements from the original 114 or are those meant for export? Do we even have any firm orders for export of LCH? And looking at that pace, it does not seem like the production of LCH is going to stop even after 2025. If all these are for the Indian Army, then I am on cloud 9 right now.

Also, how many Dhruv do we have deployed in our Armed Forces? They already have produced 231 as of February this year. SO the total number of Dhruvs produced will be 450-ish? So our Armed Forces plan to have ~430 Dhruvs in service? I expected the number to be more.
These order is for gear module assembly of engine. One ALH or LCH could have a series of 3 to 4 engine while in active duty depending on usage.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I'm thinking about military helicopters that can be stored on an aircraft carrier for use in naval operations - mainly against surface marine combat, anti-submarine combat, coastguard, and search-and-rescure operations.
Naval LCH is already there for surface marine combat and coast guard. For ASW role I've already shown you the ALH version. On top of that, India does have Seaking, but I am not aware of their current active role.

kstriya

Country flag
Naval LCH is already there for surface marine combat and coast guard. For ASW role I've already shown you the ALH version. On top of that, India does have Seaking, but I am not aware of their current active role.
I don't think so there is any ALH in ASW role in the Indian navy now, I hope we have one soon as we have a major shortage of ASW helos and a indigenous one with LWT will be a good addition. Jai Hind!

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
These order is for gear module assembly of engine. One ALH or LCH could have a series of 3 to 4 engine while in active duty depending on usage.
So we only ever going to have 144 LCH in the Army. This means that I was celebrating for nothing. :crying:

Filtercoffee

Country flag
I expect the numbers to touch atleast 550 to 1500 in batches for all the series made exclusively by HAL for Indian defence.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles