HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Prayash

DG Army Aviation Flies the LCH

On 15 Feb 17, Lt Gen Kanwal Kumar, DG Army Aviation Corps flew the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) at the Aero India 2017. The LCH is indigenously developed by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and will soon be inducted into the Indian Army. This combat helicopter is light, manoeuvrable and armed with devastating fire power. It has the capability to manoeuvre through narrow valleys, mountains and high altitude areas, providing effective support to ground operations. The LCH, armed with its turret mounted gun, rockets, air to air missiles and air to ground missiles is a potent force multiplier and shall greatly enhance the Indian Army's military capability.

Col Aman Anand

PRO (Army)

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx
DG Army Aviation Lt Gen Kanwal Kumar

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

tejas warrior

Country flag
Aero India 2017: HAL’s Light Combat Helicopter Is Nothing Short Of A Flying Tank

During the 1999 Kargil War, operations of Indian Air Force were hampered as the only combat helicopter, the Mi-35, couldn’t operate at extremely high altitudes where most of the conflict was concentrated."The Mi-35 couldn’t even cross the Banihal pass. We were handicapped and badly needed a chopper that can even launch assaults at high altitudes,” (Retd) Wing Commander Unni Pillai, the chief test pilot of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) reminisced.

• Seventeen years after the war, India has an indigenous combat helicopter that can carry out operations even at the 19,600-feet high Siachen glacier. Designed and built by HAL, the Light Combat Helicopter is the only machine in the world that can carry out operations at such high altitudes.

Last year we successfully landed this helicopter at Siachen glacier, the only combat helicopter to do that in the world.Unni Pillai, (Retd) Wing Commander and Chief Test Pilot, HAL

Armed with a nose gun, rockets, air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, the LCH is a 5.8-tonne class chopper, heavily armoured and engineered for combat. The helicopter has a state-of-the-art cockpit with day/night targeting systems for the crew including the helmet pointed sight, with the help of which the pilot can aim just by looking at the target. The LCH is fitted with a self-protection suite consisting of radar/laser missile warning systems and counter measures dispensing system (CMDS).

“The machine can carry weapons up to 1000 kg. In addition, we have a nose gun which can carry up to 300 rounds of ammunition of different type, penetrating or high explosives,” added Pillai.

Pillai said the first limited series of 10 helicopters will be available to the Indian Air Force in the next four months.

The first prototype helicopter had its inaugural flight on March 23, 2010.

Commenting on the Make in India initiative, he asserted that the requirements of the Indian Air Force can only be met by aircraft manufactured locally.

We have a particular operating environment and we are the best people to make as per our requirement. American machines don’t have a requirement to operate above 10-12000. Hence to enhance our operation capabilities, it is important we make in our country. (Retd) Wing Commander, Unni Pillai, Chief Test Pilot, HAL
http://www.bloombergquint.com/techn...-helicopter-is-nothing-short-of-a-flying-tank

deepak ghanvatkar

Aero India 2017: HAL’s Light Combat Helicopter Is Nothing Short Of A Flying Tank

During the 1999 Kargil War, operations of Indian Air Force were hampered as the only combat helicopter, the Mi-35, couldn’t operate at extremely high altitudes where most of the conflict was concentrated."The Mi-35 couldn’t even cross the Banihal pass. We were handicapped and badly needed a chopper that can even launch assaults at high altitudes,” (Retd) Wing Commander Unni Pillai, the chief test pilot of Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) reminisced.

• Seventeen years after the war, India has an indigenous combat helicopter that can carry out operations even at the 19,600-feet high Siachen glacier. Designed and built by HAL, the Light Combat Helicopter is the only machine in the world that can carry out operations at such high altitudes.

Last year we successfully landed this helicopter at Siachen glacier, the only combat helicopter to do that in the world.Unni Pillai, (Retd) Wing Commander and Chief Test Pilot, HAL

Armed with a nose gun, rockets, air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, the LCH is a 5.8-tonne class chopper, heavily armoured and engineered for combat. The helicopter has a state-of-the-art cockpit with day/night targeting systems for the crew including the helmet pointed sight, with the help of which the pilot can aim just by looking at the target. The LCH is fitted with a self-protection suite consisting of radar/laser missile warning systems and counter measures dispensing system (CMDS).

“The machine can carry weapons up to 1000 kg. In addition, we have a nose gun which can carry up to 300 rounds of ammunition of different type, penetrating or high explosives,” added Pillai.

Pillai said the first limited series of 10 helicopters will be available to the Indian Air Force in the next four months.

The first prototype helicopter had its inaugural flight on March 23, 2010.

Commenting on the Make in India initiative, he asserted that the requirements of the Indian Air Force can only be met by aircraft manufactured locally.

We have a particular operating environment and we are the best people to make as per our requirement. American machines don’t have a requirement to operate above 10-12000. Hence to enhance our operation capabilities, it is important we make in our country. (Retd) Wing Commander, Unni Pillai, Chief Test Pilot, HAL
http://www.bloombergquint.com/techn...-helicopter-is-nothing-short-of-a-flying-tank
I had always been an admirer of Indian technology and this is great now there are some comments like http://idrw.org/both-hal-rudra-and-light-combat-helicopters-are-toothless-indian-army-chief-rawat/
which make me sad.
I believe he should have written his views but not spoken such thing as word from sitting general is much different value

tejas warrior

Country flag
I had always been an admirer of Indian technology and this is great now there are some comments like http://idrw.org/both-hal-rudra-and-light-combat-helicopters-are-toothless-indian-army-chief-rawat/
which make me sad.
I believe he should have written his views but not spoken such thing as word from sitting general is much different value
What u should also understand is that generally Paid media twist what they say and always try to show Indian product shortcomings and promote foreign products.

SO, don't believe in all these articles.. they may OR may not be true.

Always look for Source.

Reactions: kr9

kr9

Country flag
What u should also understand is that generally Paid media twist what they say and always try to show Indian product shortcomings and promote foreign products.

SO, don't believe in all these articles.. they may OR may not be true.

Always look for Source.
Is the LCH able to withstand 12.7mm rounds? Or is the armor plating yet to be done?

Amrk

Country flag
which make me sad.
Brother, you will have to understand that our media is really pathetic.
I read the report. nowhere the chief has said anything negative about the helis all he said was that proper ATGMs were not available.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
which make me sad.
He expected rudra and lch would fail ...so that he could get some kickbacks from apache deals. Bad news for him....lch passed with flying colors...

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

rohit b3

Country flag
He expected rudra and lch would fail ...so that he could get some kickbacks from apache deals. Bad news for him....lch passed with flying colors...

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk
The title is misleading and probably funded by lobbies. He never criticized the LCH or Rudra. He was worrying about the Helina ATGM which got delayed.

mayfair

The title is misleading and probably funded by lobbies. He never criticized the LCH or Rudra. He was worrying about the Helina ATGM which got delayed.
Yes, it's DDM upto it's usual tricks and malicious propaganda. It's evident that most in the Indian media are dalaals of one or the other arms companies. After all they are adequately compensated with dine, wine, women and money (yours and mine) to churn out glowing tributes of imported maal and trash the desi stuff at every opportunity.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Without a potent ATGM these are rightly termed as "toothless" by Army Chief. Good for air shows but not in active service.

Can't say about other "shortcomings" which he referred in his statement.

sthf

Country flag
Is the LCH able to withstand 12.7mm rounds? Or is the armor plating yet to be done?
Yes, it can withstand 12.7 mm rounds.
I don't think it would have passed trials without armour.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles