Hague fears Iran could start 'new Cold War'

pmaitra

Hague fears Iran could start 'new Cold War'

18 February 2012 Last updated at 08:56 ET | BBC News

Iran's nuclear ambitions could plunge the Middle East into "a new Cold War", the UK foreign secretary has warned.

William Hague told the Daily Telegraph other nations in the region would want to develop nuclear weapons if Iran did.

Without "the safety mechanisms" of the US-USSR rivalry, Mr Hague said it would be "a disaster in world affairs".

But ex-UK diplomat Sir Richard Dalton said Iran was not "rushing towards a nuclear weapon". Tehran insists its programme is for energy purposes.

The West suspects Iran wants to develop nuclear weapons.

Mr Hague told the newspaper there was a "crisis coming down the tracks".

"If [the Iranians] obtain nuclear weapons capability, then I think other nations across the Middle East will want to develop nuclear weapons.

"And so, the most serious round of nuclear proliferation since nuclear weapons were invented would have begun with all the destabilising effects in the Middle East."

'Enormous downsides'

Mr Hague's comments come amid heightened tensions in the Middle East, with Israel accusing Iran of masterminding attacks on its embassies in India, Thailand and Georgia. Iran denies the allegations.

It blames Israel and the US for the assassination of several Iranian nuclear scientists in recent years, allegations they deny.

Analysis
Peter Biles
BBC world affairs correspondent

In his Daily Telegraph interview, William Hague has spelled out what Iran-watchers have long feared. Namely, that there could be a Middle East arms race if Iran acquires a nuclear weapon.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey would certainly be among those most concerned by Iran getting a bomb.

It's clear from Mr Hague's comments that Britain wants to continue to pursue a twin-track approach towards Iran - maintaining the economic pressure, through sanctions, while also keeping open the door to negotiations.

All options remain on the table, including military action, but Britain, for one, appears set on working for a diplomatic solution.

However, diplomatic engagement was complicated by the expulsion of Iranian diplomats from the UK last December, and the withdrawal of Britain's embassy staff from Tehran. Rebuilding the trust will take time.

Hence, the cautious welcome from the EU to Iran's apparent willingness to restart negotiations.
Speaking earlier this month, US President Barack Obama emphasised that Israel and the US were working in "unison" to counter Iran.

However, some commentators have suggested that behind the scenes Washington is deeply alarmed by reports that Israel may strike Iran as early as April. US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta reportedly said there was a strong likelihood of such an offensive.

Mr Hague told the Telegraph that Britain has urged Israel not to strike: "We support a twin-track strategy of sanctions and pressure and negotiations on the other hand.

"All options must remain on the table" but a military attack would have "enormous downsides", he said.

Shashank Joshi, of defence think tank the Royal United Services Institute, told the BBC the West's fears could be unfounded.

"If we could live with nuclear weapons in the hands of totalitarian, genocidal states like Stalin's Russia or Mao's China, Iran in contrast - whatever its repulsive internal policies and adventurism abroad - is far more rational," he said.

Mr Joshi said Iran may not be actively pursuing the creation of nuclear weapons but leaving the option open.

"If they feel their regime is under existential threat, if they feel they face a Libya-like situation, they would have the option of building a bomb."

Answer questions

Sir Richard, a former UK ambassador to Iran, said: "There are many signs, as reported by the International Atomic Energy Agency, that some research and development relevant to the development of nuclear weapons may still be going on.

"But it is wrong to say that Iran is rushing towards having a nuclear weapon.

"Indeed, the analysis published to the United States Congress by the top intelligence assessors there indicates that Iran has not taken a decision to have a nuclear weapon.

"But it is right that the IAEA should press Iran on behalf of the international community to answer fully questions about what it has been up to in the past and what it may still be doing in the present."

Shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander said: "Instead of raising the rhetoric, the government should be focused on redoubling their efforts to increase the diplomatic pressure on Iran and find a peaceful solution to the issue."

Meanwhile, Iranian warships have entered the Mediterranean Sea for only the second time since the 1979 revolution.

The destroyer Shahid Qandi and its supply vessel Kharg have passed through the Suez Canal but their destination remains unclear.

On Friday, the US and European Union expressed optimism at the possibility of a resumption of talks with Iran.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said a letter from Iran to the US and its allies was "one we have been waiting for".

However, our correspondent said that while Iran had often offered to talk, Western diplomats complained it would steer discussions away from its nuclear programme to leave "parallel monologues" rather than negotiations.

Talks between Iran and six world powers - the US, UK, France, Germany, Russia and China - on Tehran's nuclear programme collapsed a year ago.

In recent months, Western countries have stepped up pressure on Iran over the nuclear issue, with the EU and US both introducing wide-ranging sanctions on the country.

On Wednesday, Iran staged an elaborate ceremony to unveil new developments in its nuclear programme, It said it had used domestically-made nuclear fuel in a reactor for the first time.

There are a number of sites at the centre of concerns over Iran's nuclear programme.

Source: BBC News - Hague fears Iran could start 'new Cold War'

Also see comments section in the above link.

Blackwater

Dont worry Mr hague India will still continue to lick Iran ass

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Just the title didn't make me read the entire thing. Just fears being ratcheted up.

Hague should know the new cold war is already underway between US and China.

Israel already has nukes. Other Arab countries are under nuke umbrella of US. No one has any reason to start a cold war there. Mid East is known for only hot wars.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Without "the safety mechanisms" of the US-USSR rivalry, Mr Hague said it would be "a disaster in world affairs".

Those were the days when things were more predictable. This whole multipolar World is bound to explode in a spectacular fireball soon...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If Iran is in a Cold War, it is losing it miserably.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Then the PRC-Russia tandem are losing badly in that part of the World.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I'm sure that's what you wish. :croc:

I'd rather wait and see.

They already lost in Libya. Now it's Syria's turn, but you're right, we may have to wait and see. Good for India it does not have to wait with Nokor, Zimbabwe, Nicaragua, xxx for the result... :thumb:

pmaitra

They already lost in Libya. Now it's Syria's turn, but you're right, we may have to wait and see. Good for India it does not have to wait with Nokor, Zimbabwe, Nicaragua, xxx for the result... :thumb:
I'm sure you are aware that the US recently declared more aid for Pakistan. For those fighting terror by giving aid to a terrorist country, I think it is safer to side with Iran. At least they are saner.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I'm sure you are aware that the US recently declared more aid for Pakistan. For those fighting terror by giving aid to a terrorist country, I think it is safer to side with Iran. At least they are saner.

You seem not to be able to see beyond the facade of false alliance. Believe me it's better that the US is engaging Pakistan than leaving it alone to China.

pmaitra

You seem not to be able to see beyond the facade of false alliance. Believe me it's better that the US is engaging Pakistan than leaving it alone to China.
Iran has been threatening, but have not done anything so far. The US has actually gone around invading countries on different pretexts while dumping billions in military aid to the worlds biggest terrorist exporter called Pakistan. If that is not collusion, what is? As an Indian, all I care about is actions of other countries that harm India. I am not able to afford the luxury of appreciating what their 'intentions' are.

Just my PoV. If 'engaging' Pakistan equates giving them aid, including military aid, knowing that such aid has been consistently used against India, and continuing to do so, Iran seems a much saner option to do business with. At least they don't fund anti-India elements.

What difference would it make if the US left Pakistan to PRC? They would anyways get military weapons that they are getting from the US. Even when the US gives money, that is used to purchase weapons. Consider the recent declarations by Pakistan to acquire submarines. Where did or will that money come from? I am sure you are not going to suggest that Pakistan needs those to fight the Taliban in the mountains.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What difference would it make if the US left Pakistan to PRC? They would anyways get military weapons that they are getting from the US. Even when the US gives money, that is used to purchase weapons. Consider the recent declarations by Pakistan to acquire submarines. Where did or will that money come from? I am sure you are not going to suggest that Pakistan needs those to fight the Taliban in the mountains.

Granting Paki subs (BTW, France has supplied them subs), which I doubt, were funded by diverted US aid, how many of these submarines sunk an Indian ship lately? Believe me, with the hotheads on either side and nukes there won't be going a large scale conventional military action between Pakistan and India. So these submarines are only as good as useless toys, and those F16s too. The biggest threat to you is terrorism by proxy which can be and will denied by Pakistan everytime it happens on Indian soil.

Let's face it the US will not invade Pakistan just to perpetuate their stay in Afghanistan (this should not be clear by now). They will continue to dangle carrots in front of them however as they are hooked to it (they don't have much choice).

pmaitra

Granting Paki subs (BTW, France has supplied them subs), which I doubt, were funded by diverted US aid, how many of these submarines sunk an Indian ship lately? Believe me, with the hotheads on either side and nukes there won't be going a large scale conventional military action between Pakistan and India. So these submarines are only as good as useless toys, and those F16s too. The biggest threat to you is terrorism by proxy which can be and will denied by Pakistan everytime it happens on Indian soil.

Let's face it the US will not invade Pakistan just to perpetuate their stay in Afghanistan (this should not be clear by now). They will continue to dangle carrots in front of them however as they are hooked to it (they don't have much choice).
The US may find it too risky to invade Pakistan. All I am saying that they stop giving aid to Pakistan. They can simply leave India and Pakistan to sort out their problems. The only way US and India can work together is to get Balochistan its independence. That we can discuss in the relevant thread.

Now going back to Cold War between the West and Russia-PRC, I do see Russia-PRC is good light here. Note, India and PRC have joined hands on many occasions on many international debates, including the Greenhouse Gas fracas that we saw. I definitely do not see how it is a good thing if all the oil producing countries were under the influence of the West. Cold War is definitely needed, and some territories must remain out of bounds for the West.

Blackwater

So what do you want? Lick Mr Hagues arse?
not exactly his ass but we should should support USA, Israel, NATO kicked Iran ass than when they have pupppet govt than extend friendship

Y we lick Iran ass now, just for oil, Saudi has extended help for oil than yyyyyyyyyyy

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
not exactly his ass but we should should support USA, Israel, NATO kicked Iran ass than when they have pupppet govt than extend friendship

Y we lick Iran ass now, just for oil, Saudi has extended help for oil than yyyyyyyyyyy
After Iran is knocked off and ruled by US puppets which will take away oil resources and Saudi says $200 a barrel then what?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
After Iran is knocked off and ruled by US puppets which will take away oil resources and Saudi says $200 a barrel then what?

This is too simplistic a view. Iran is just equally happy to jack up their price. Right now they're dropping their prices because they don't have a choice.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This is too simplistic a view. Iran is just equally happy to jack up their price. Right now they're dropping their prices because they don't have a choice.
It's the rule that is golden. Have a wide range of suppliers so that you don't put all eggs in one basket.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles