Gutkha banned in Delhi

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am not really pro this ban. Those who want to use these products should be allowed to, but with hefty penalties.

====
New Delhi: The Delhi government on Monday decided to enforce a complete ban on the manufacture, sale and storage of gutkha in the national capital.

The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. The ban awaits notification, which is expected by Wednesday.

Dikshit announced the ban on Monday following a meeting with Health department officials. "Such products pose a very serious health hazard. They will be banned after a notification and violation of these orders will result in stringent action," Dikshit said.

She said the ban would include the manufacture, sale, display, transportation and storage of such products.

Health Minister Dr A K Walia said gutkha and other such products contain pan masala, nicotine and tobacco. "These substances make for a very potent carcinogenic product. So, the government has taken this decision to ban them. Many other states have already banned such products," he said.

He said the government had persisted with the ban, though it would cause a huge loss to the exchequer. Government officials said the revenue loss could be around Rs 40 crore.

Following the notification, the Health department would start picking up samples of such products across Delhi, Walia said.

"Cases will be registered under the Food Safety and Standards Act against any manufacturer and trader found violating the ban. This is an uphill task, but we are geared up for it," the Health Minister said.

He said the ban would be implemented by the Department of Prevention of Food Adulteration.

On August 22, the Delhi High Court had asked the city government to take a decision on banning gutkha products within two weeks, while disposing a PIL.

The PIL filed by Doctors For You sought to ban such products considering the spurt in oral and lung cancer cases in Delhi.

The PIL also mentioned a study by the World Health Organization (WHO), which stated that close to 25 per cent of Delhi's population consumed tobacco in some form or the other.

Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, Haryana, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Maharastra, Rajasthan and Goa have already banned the sale of gutkha.

Gutkha banned by Delhi govt

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I have a problem with the stains and spit, and not with Gutkha or Gutkha-eaters per se.

Heck, I think then, even Pan should be banned!!

sob

Mod
Country flag
Good step taken by the Delhi Government. I fully support this.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Good move. Next, it should be banned all over India. I tried once while I was college..one of my friend gave me that Hans....ewwww..I puked literally and still I cant get my head around to the fact how these people chew onto that for hours...:tsk:

Blackwater

Nothing gonna happen.

Banned in Delhi doest not mean it wont be available in Delhi or people wont eat it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Good move..

Though it cannot be regulate-ted all places in Delhi..

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
I am against banning because i think people will should be free to choose what they consume given that it doesn't harm or affect anyone else.

But i think it is good in a way that spits can be controlled now.

aeroblogger

What's with all the states/territories banning Gutka this year? Since MP banned it in April, 12 more states/territories have also taken up bans!

pmaitra

Good move.

Gutkha users need to realize this ban is happening only because they spit that red liquid all over the place. If people were using spitoons and not dirtying toilets and walls, this ban would not have happened.

pmaitra

I am not really pro this ban. Those who want to use these products should be allowed to, but with hefty penalties.
I have nothing against gutkha. I have everything against spitting the red liquid all about. Let there be a heavy tax on gutkha and let every state install spitoons all over the place with that money, and it should work out.

natarajan

Its not only affecting the health but also damaging public property by spoiling painted walls and tiles

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Why should Pan be banned?
Doesn't it have the same end-effect - people spitting it all over walls and the road, leaving dirty read spit stains all over?

As more than one person on this thread has said, we do not have a problem with people who eat Gutkha - it is their choice. What we have a problem with, is the dirty red stains they leave all over town.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles