Gutkha banned in Delhi

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Singh, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I am not really pro this ban. Those who want to use these products should be allowed to, but with hefty penalties.

====
    New Delhi: The Delhi government on Monday decided to enforce a complete ban on the manufacture, sale and storage of gutkha in the national capital.

The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. The ban awaits notification, which is expected by Wednesday.

Dikshit announced the ban on Monday following a meeting with Health department officials. “Such products pose a very serious health hazard. They will be banned after a notification and violation of these orders will result in stringent action,” Dikshit said.

She said the ban would include the manufacture, sale, display, transportation and storage of such products.

Health Minister Dr A K Walia said gutkha and other such products contain pan masala, nicotine and tobacco. “These substances make for a very potent carcinogenic product. So, the government has taken this decision to ban them. Many other states have already banned such products,” he said.

He said the government had persisted with the ban, though it would cause a huge loss to the exchequer. Government officials said the revenue loss could be around Rs 40 crore.

Following the notification, the Health department would start picking up samples of such products across Delhi, Walia said.

“Cases will be registered under the Food Safety and Standards Act against any manufacturer and trader found violating the ban. This is an uphill task, but we are geared up for it,” the Health Minister said.

He said the ban would be implemented by the Department of Prevention of Food Adulteration.

On August 22, the Delhi High Court had asked the city government to take a decision on banning gutkha products within two weeks, while disposing a PIL.

The PIL filed by Doctors For You sought to ban such products considering the spurt in oral and lung cancer cases in Delhi.

The PIL also mentioned a study by the World Health Organization (WHO), which stated that close to 25 per cent of Delhi’s population consumed tobacco in some form or the other.

Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, Haryana, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Maharastra, Rajasthan and Goa have already banned the sale of gutkha.

Gutkha banned by Delhi govt

3. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I have a problem with the stains and spit, and not with Gutkha or Gutkha-eaters per se.

Heck, I think then, even Pan should be banned!!

The Messiah likes this.
  4. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Good step taken by the Delhi Government. I fully support this.

5. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Good move. Next, it should be banned all over India. I tried once while I was college..one of my friend gave me that Hans....ewwww..I puked literally and still I cant get my head around to the fact how these people chew onto that for hours...:tsk:

6. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Nothing gonna happen.

Banned in Delhi doest not mean it wont be available in Delhi or people wont eat it.

7. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

Good move..

Though it cannot be regulate-ted all places in Delhi..

8. Oracle

Oracle New Member

A welcome move.

9. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

I am against banning because i think people will should be free to choose what they consume given that it doesn't harm or affect anyone else.

But i think it is good in a way that spits can be controlled now.

10. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Ban everything, legalize pot. Reduces aggression, promotes peace.

Oracle likes this.
  11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Quoted for truth. :thumb:

12. aeroblogger

aeroblogger Regular Member

What's with all the states/territories banning Gutka this year? Since MP banned it in April, 12 more states/territories have also taken up bans!

13. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Good move.

Gutkha users need to realize this ban is happening only because they spit that red liquid all over the place. If people were using spitoons and not dirtying toilets and walls, this ban would not have happened.

14. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I have nothing against gutkha. I have everything against spitting the red liquid all about. Let there be a heavy tax on gutkha and let every state install spitoons all over the place with that money, and it should work out.

15. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

Its not only affecting the health but also damaging public property by spoiling painted walls and tiles

16. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Gutkha a religious topic? Hoho.

17. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Why should Pan be banned?

18. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Finally, the "pitchik .. pitchik .." would be lesser

19. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Doesn't it have the same end-effect - people spitting it all over walls and the road, leaving dirty read spit stains all over?

As more than one person on this thread has said, we do not have a problem with people who eat Gutkha - it is their choice. What we have a problem with, is the dirty red stains they leave all over town.