Gurdwara in Tehran that thrives on local support

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Gurdwara in Tehran that thrives on local support

At a time when a gurdwara in the US has been targeted by extremists and minority Hindus in Pakistan face harassment, a gurdwara in Tehran, where the Prime Minister is visiting from August 28, stands tall, with the community receiving strong support from local authorities.

Next week, while PM Manmohan Singh is busy with the 16th Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit, his wife Gursharan Kaur will visit the Sikh shrine established in 1941 in downtown Tehran.

It is not certain if Singh will pay obeisance there though the Sikh community is hopeful.

External affairs minister S.M. Krishna had visited the gurdwara in 2010 and ex-PM Atal Behari Vajpayee had visited it in 2001.

While the West often targets Iran for religious intolerance, the Sikhs have had a different experience in the country.

The community has never faced any problem from the Iranian government or locals. Currently, 60 Sikh families reside in Tehran and the city of Zahedan.

In Tehran, Singh may meet Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and his Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina.

The PM's visit is significant as it comes at a time when the US is pushing India to decrease oil imports from Iran and use its good offices to convince Tehran to suspend its 'nuclear weaponisation programme'.

While oil imports from Iran to India have decreased because of troubles faced by Indian oil firms following US and EU sanctions, India has made it clear it can't follow unilateral US sanctions and reduce oil purchases altogether.

'We had proposed a meeting with Khamenei, in which the PM will raise all issues for India-Iran bilateral ties. Peace is our primary concern, given just how important the West Asian and Gulf region is for India's security and economy,' foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai said at a press meet ahead of the PM's trip.

Gurdwara in Tehran that thrives on local support | Mail Online

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
That is commendable !

Now can you ever expect that to happen in a Wahhabism infected Country

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ duh.. that's what he implied !

BTW Sikhs are leaving/already left Iran in fairly large numbers due to sanctions/stagnating economy.

And there was a murder case in which a Sikh was wrongly implicated or something, I don't remember the details.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
any hindu temples in iran? do hindus live in iran ?
Actually, wherever Sikhs go, they set up their Gurudwaras and maintain and finance such Gurudwaras themselves.

If one goes to Gurudongmar in North Sikkim, which is next to Tibet, one will find a small Gurudwara next to the Lake. The Gurudwara is maintained by the Army! There are no other places of worship there of any religion or any shrine except the Gurudwara. Guru Nanak is said to have visited that place and struck the pool at a certain place and that place never freezes over. If one drinks the water of this Lake, then one can overcome infertility it is said.

It maybe a coincidence, but I brought a jerrycan of this water for an officer of mine, who had no children, though he had married for 09 years. He and his wife used this water and within the year had twins!

On the issue of the Gurudwara in Tehran, it was pleasing to learn that the locals of Iran are giving support.

Shias are supposed to be more tolerant than the Sunnis and hence there is no issues here while in Pakistan everything is up in flames.

It is an interesting point you raise regarding temples.

I presume there would be none.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
They are multi-cultural only toward montheistic religions... :) not polytheistic ones like Hinduism.
Iran's fastest-growing faith seems to be Hinduism of the New-Age guru variety. (Buddhism comes a close second). Sathya Sai Baba, Rajneesh, Mahesh Yogi and Sri Sri Ravi Shankar are familiar figures in middle class drawing rooms. For many in the elite, Yoga is far more important than Haj.
The Hindu : Magazine : Many hues of a rainbow

=====================

Actually, wherever Sikhs go, they set up their Gurudwaras and maintain and finance such Gurudwaras themselves.

If one goes to Gurudongmar in North Sikkim, which is next to Tibet, one will find a small Gurudwara next to the Lake. The Gurudwara is maintained by the Army! There are no other places of worship there of any religion or any shrine except the Gurudwara. Guru Nanak is said to have visited that place and struck the pool at a certain place and that place never freezes over. If one drinks the water of this Lake, then one can overcome infertility it is said.

It maybe a coincidence, but I brought a jerrycan of this water for an officer of mine, who had no children, though he had married for 09 years. He and his wife used this water and within the year had twins!

On the issue of the Gurudwara in Tehran, it was pleasing to learn that the locals of Iran are giving support.

Shias are supposed to be more tolerant than the Sunnis and hence there is no issues here while in Pakistan everything is up in flames.

It is an interesting point you raise regarding temples.

I presume there would be none.
Sir I believe that lake is call chungtha lake, corruption of Punjabi Changi thaa (Good Place)

parijataka

Country flag
it only shows that India should keep its links with iran, no matter what. iran did not toe the western line and it was treated like hell. India needs to balanced view.
India needs to ignore Western (US) pressure to be harsh on Iran and have a balanced view in line with our national needs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles