Gulf dreams, Indian nightmares

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Apr 17, 2009

It is time India emulates the Philippines.
  3. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

Jun 3, 2009
    True, but the fact that millions of Indians still choose to throw themselves in these hell pits only goes to show the level of inhumanity they have to deal with at home.

As a person who is fairly well acquainted with the inner workings of the Middle East this topic has been very near and dear to me for a very long time.

What the author of this piece fails to acknowledge is that this entire issue comes down to social class. I assure you, a US board certified Indian physician working in the Middle East for instance will never face the ill treatment that is unrelentingly meted out to the working class employees of the same nationality. It is also interesting to note that the woman in Ireland who died in childbirth was a dentist, and not a maid.

The sad fact of the matter is that no Indian diplomat possesses the leverage to play hard ball regarding human rights violation of Indian workers in the ME because their Arab counterparts are well aware of how Indians treat their own working class.

At the end of the day this is nothing more than a demand/supply issue. You can make some nominal shows of dissent by putting temporary bans on ME employment etc. ( albeit unlikely given the necessity of foreign remittances in some situations, especially in Kerala). However there will be no true change unless life in India becomes better for the poor first.

***One major note about this article. The Iraq/ ISIS example does not apply to the debate about worker rights in the Middle East because workers (from anywhere in the world) who willingly go to Iraq are going into a war zone by their own volition. This example can be used to take issue with the Indian Government's approach to dealing with terrorist organizations in unstable parts of the world, or something along those lines. But that is not the same as the worker crisis in the rest of the ME.