GSLV Mark II

john70

Country flag
Re: GSLV mission with indigenous cryogenic engine early next year

Cryogenic engine is possibly the topmost priority of ISRO, it is like bottleneck - delaying ISRO from achieving all other major programmes. To Have a cryogenic engine of its own is like having the aces in your hands. We can then go for massive space missions and be completely Independent in space. The upper hand of Chinese can be equalled. I wait for this like I was waiting for Agni V launch. Lets hope they are completely successful this time.

mahesh

Country flag

one can't roleout china's hand in making sure about this technology not reach India and also succeeding the goals, they will be a obstacles.
If Chinese hackers can compromise India's major establishments then what about cryogenic engine technology? It has both commercial and defence implications. ISRO would not deny that the same engine can be fitted on an Indian ICBM. That changes the power symmetry in South East Asia.

Also nations such as USA, France, Japan and China do not want India to come up with its engines as they do not want India to challenge their monopoly in launch business. The US charges more than $50,000 per kg to launch a space craft while India would be able to bring down the cost to $18,000 per kg.

Russia is one nation which we can depend on directly or indirectly, but to an extend only, Beyond that we have to find our own ways for success, and that day is very close by.

Defcon 1

Country flag

What do you mean by boast? ISRO informed the media about the latest developments and you call that boast :frusty: Delays are part and parcel of such complex projects, if you are so full of confidence why dont you launch your own private space research agency and try to lauch satellites, then we will see who talks about boasting.
What latest development are you talking about?? That the GSLV launch has been delayed by four months?? If the ISRO chief was not sure about the delays that might occur in future then why was an statement issued about GSLV launch just after the launch of Agni V? I am not confident enough of launching a rocket in geosynchronous orbit within a year, thats why I am not giving statements to media. But the ISRO chief was.

And lets talk about Nirbhay. Till the very last minute they shouting that Nirbhay will be tested in July-August. If the delay had occurred, didn't they know about it before?? Still that didn't stop them from issuing statements to media. What is this?

Tolaha

What latest development are you talking about?? That the GSLV launch has been delayed by four months?? If the ISRO chief was not sure about the delays that might occur in future then why was an statement issued about GSLV launch just after the launch of Agni V? I am not confident enough of launching a rocket in geosynchronous orbit within a year, thats why I am not giving statements to media. But the ISRO chief was.

And lets talk about Nirbhay. Till the very last minute they shouting that Nirbhay will be tested in July-August. If the delay had occurred, didn't they know about it before?? Still that didn't stop them from issuing statements to media. What is this?
Dude, Agni V and Nirbhay have not got nothing to do with ISRO! You are mixing up different organisations here!

mahesh

Country flag

i say it's a good development , that ISRO is not being much transparent and predictable like before. GOOD FOR ISRO :thumb:

Defcon 1

Country flag

Dude, Agni V and Nirbhay have not got nothing to do with ISRO! You are mixing up different organisations here!
I am talking both about ISRO and DRDO here. both have developed a habit of boasting before media in last one or two years.

ant80

Also nations such as USA, France, Japan and China do not want India to come up with its engines as they do not want India to challenge their monopoly in launch business. The US charges more than $50,000 per kg to launch a space craft while India would be able to bring down the cost to $18,000 per kg.
Interesting, Mahesh. I'd love to know where you got the numbers from. Thanks.

mahesh

Country flag

rahulrds1

GSLV with indigenous cryogenic engine to be launched in April 2013

Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) P S Veeraraghavan has said that the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is well on course to launching its GSLV space mission with indigenously built cryogenic engine in April 2013.

"Most of the systems for the launch are ready and we are now into the final leg of certain tests, which will validate the mission involving indigenous cryogenic engine," Veeraraghavan told reporters on the sidelines of a seminar on 'Aerospace and related mechanisms' here on Thursday. The Thiruvananthapuram-based VSSC is the lead centre of ISRO for development of satellite launch vehicles and associated technologies.

The GSLV mission's first flight, 'D3', using ISRO designed and built cryogenic engine, had failed in April 2010 due to the malfunctioning of fuel booster turbo pump. The launch vehicle was carrying a 2,200 kg GSAT-4 payload.

"We did a thorough analysis of the D3 flight and identified the reasons behind its failure," Veeraraghavan said. "The analysis called for a redesign of certain components in the cryogenic propulsion system and the same has now been addressed and is being put through multiple testing," he said.

"Most tests have been completed except for the high altitude test, which validates the mission of our cryogenic engine. We hope to complete this and launch the GSLV mission by April 2013," Veeraraghavan said.

Asked about the Chandrayaan-2 lunar mission, Veeraraghavan said, "The immediate focus is on the launch of the Mars Orbiter Mission that is expected to happen in October/November 2013. We have to ensure that the launch happens by the targeted slot. Otherwise, we won't get a slot for another two years,"
he said. India plans to send a spaceship near Mars and collect important scientific information as part of the orbiter mission.

He said, "Chandrayaan-2, which is a joint programme with the Russian Federal Space Agency, has been delayed due to some major reversals suffered by Russia in their launch vehicles, including their mission to Mars, last year. The Russians have decided that they will give a lander, which is the most complex of the Chandrayaan-2 elements, only after flying the same at least once."

Initial plans chalked out under the joint programme, provided for the launch of Chandrayaan-2 by using a Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV), in 2014. It includes a lunar orbiter and a lunar rover to be made by the ISRO centres and a lander built by the Russian space agency.

The mission will use and test various new technologies and conduct new experiments. The wheeled rover will move on the lunar surface and will pick up soil or rock samples for on-site chemical analysis. The data will be sent to earth through the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter.

Veeraraghavan said, "Developing high temperature thermal protection system; new materials with lower weights, higher strength, guidance and control; and air-breathing propulsion system are major challenges in the efforts to reduce the cost of launching a space mission. For now, the cost of launching 1 kg of payload into an orbit is $ 20,000 and very few countries can afford that."

He said, "Ongoing efforts in the US, Europe and India are aimed at reducing this cost initially to $ 2,000 per kg payload and eventually to $ 200 per kg payload. This requires good quality high temperature thermal protection system, particularly for situations like a hypersonic re-entry where the material has to take very high temperature and load."

"The VSSC is working on the next variant of GSLV Mark III launch vehicles that will make India totally self-reliant in the area of launch vehicles, Veeraraghavan said. The centre is further working on development of resusable launch vehicles that can deliver a spacecraft into the orbit and return for a repeat use. This will bring down the cost of space transport."

Nearly 450 delegates from premier research labs, defence and academic organizations and industry are participating in the seminar that will address some of the current issues related to aerospace mechanisms that are critical for satellite launch vehicles, spacecraft, missiles and combat aircraft, among others. The Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) is hosting the event, organized by the Indian National Society for Aerospace and Related Mechanisms (INSARM).

Its a tough fight after many failures,

All the best ISRO!

More information GSLV-Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle-

Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GSLV's next launch in April: Veeraraghavan - The Times of India

sathya

Country flag
Re: GSLV with indigenous cryogenic engine to be launched in April 2013

i wish GSLV 3 , success more than any other.. coz, its a bread winner.:namaste:

Snuggy321

All the best ISRO!

Prometheus

any news on the GSLV project is it on schedule? to be launched in april i.e. after 2 months ?

pmaitra

After so many failures, there are fewer things to go wrong, and I have a feeling, this time ISRO will pull it off with panache!

All the best to ISRO!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Best of luck :)

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned

I wish GSLV also goes the PSLV way of sucess

Defenceindia2010

Country flag

DRDO should go the ISRO way.:thumb:

tramp

Successful ignition of indigenous cryogenic engine - The Hindu
Successful ignition of indigenous cryogenic engine
Successful ignition of an indigenous cryogenic engine on Wednesday at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu's Kanyakumari district, in conditions simulating the high altitude atmosphere, has boosted the confidence of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to go ahead with the launch of a Geo-synchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-D5) in July.

The hot-test took place in the newly-built high altitude test facility (HAT) at ISRO's Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) at Mahendragiri.

"The test was held at 7.55 p.m. on Wednesday, simulating the high altitude conditions to see whether ignition of the indigenously developed cryogenic engine takes place smoothly, as per the expected temperature, pressure and flow parameters," said Director of LPSC M.C. Dathan.

"The ignition was perfect and it gave all the parameters as per our predictions and it has given us an excellent confidence to go ahead with the GSLV-D5 launch from Sriharikota in July," he noted. The engine, which uses liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen as propellants and develops a thrust of 7.5 tonnes, powers the GSLV's upper stage.

With the successful test, the indigenous cryogenic engine would be fully assembled and the cryogenic stage itself delivered at Sriharikota in a month's time. "Once it reaches Sriharikota, it may take more than two months to fully assemble the vehicle and conduct all tests. So we are planning to launch the GSLV-D5 in the second half of July," said Mr. Dathan.

GSLV-D5, with the indigenous cryogenic engine, will put into orbit a communication satellite called GSAT-14.

Mr. Dathan said the HAT facility was realised in a record time of one year. "This facility is a unique one in the country for testing cryogenic engines, simulating the high altitude conditions."

The launch of a GSLV-D3 with an indigenous cryogenic engine in April 2010 ended in failure. Although the engine ignited in vacuum in space, the ignition could not be sustained.

mahesh

Country flag

Turbulence is more in actual flight rather then in the fixed condition of high altitude testing facility, we have seen few cases of wire getting snapped in flight (not of the cryogenic engine i guess). the real test happens only on the "mission to space", where in actual conditions. but i guess long time spending at isro backyard, the solutions for the engine failing to perform 100% would have been rectified. and i would be amazed if they have found a more better engine, while cleaning the wrinkles of the engine to perform to the needed potential.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

If GSLV is successful, then opportunities for ISRO will open exponentially in terms of business.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles