GSLV Mark I

pmaitra

GSLV Mark I

Here is a brief description of GSLV Mark I. This thread is being created because threads exist for its later counterparts. As much as it is of less interest, I have put together some data.

Subvariants:
GSLV Mk I (a)
This variant had a 125 t (S-125) first stage and was capable of launching 1500 kg into geostationary transfer orbit. This is retired.
GSLV Mk I (b)
This variant had 139 t (S-139) first stage and improved fuel in the strap-on boosters & second stage. This variant can launch 1900 kg into geostationary transfer orbit.
GSLV Mk I (c)
This variant has a 15 tonne third stage. GSLV-F06 (flight 6) is the only attempted launch of the Mark I(c) version to date.

This is essentially the ones with Russian cryo-stage. The latter Mark I has Indian cryo-stage.

Source: I'Am The INDIAN: Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle{GSLV}

[HR][/HR]

Here is a 7 year old answer that I found very educative:

Debadri answered 7 years ago
There is an important difference between the PSLV and the GSLV in the firing of strap-ons.
In the PSLV, we first ignite the core motor and the vehicle lifts off. Then the strap-on motors are ignited. In the GSLV, we first ignite the four l iquid strap-on motors and check them for performance. After a gap of 4.6 seconds, the core solid stage is ignited. This gap is to confirm that all the four strap-on motors have developed the required thrust.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PSLV AND A GSLV IS BASICALLY THAT THE GSLV, HAVING A CRYOGENIC ENGINE, CAN DEVELOP MORE THRUST AND CAN CONSEQUENTLY TAKE HEAVIER SATELLITES TO 36,000 KM ABOVE THE EARTH.

If u dont knw what pslv and gslv are, they are stated for ur info:
The PSLV or Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle is an expendable launch system operated by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). It was developed to allow India to launch its Indian Remote Sensing (IRS) satellites into sun synchronous orbits, a service that was, until the advent of the PSLV, commercially viable only from Russia. PSLV can also launch small size satellites into geostationary transfer orbit (GTO).

The GSLV or Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle was developed by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to launch INSAT-type satellites into geostationary orbit to make India less dependent on foreign rockets. The GSLV improved on the performance of the PSLV with the addition of liquid strap-on boosters and a cryogenic upper stage. It is a three-stage launch vehicle with the first stage being solid-propelled, the second liquid-propelled and the final stage being cryogenically propelled. The solid first and liquid second stages are carried over from the PSLV. The GSLV used cryogenic upper stage supplied by Russia, having ordered 7 upper stages. India originally tried to buy the technology to build a cryogenic upper stage from Russia, but under pressure from the United States, that technology was not provided. Therefore, ISRO has been working on developing a cryogenic upper stage for the past eleven years
Source:
Wikipedia
Source: What is the difference between pslv and gslv? - Yahoo Answers

Global Defence

New threads

Articles