Saw all the shenanigans of our political class
Bore much ,cried little
Never lost his sense of humour in trying circumstances
Took whatever came his way as God's will
Never lost his curiosity!

sunny_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
i find Mr Gandhi would get the first spot without any controversy, even if Netji SC Bose and Sardar Patel always attracted the young age people.....

it was really interesting while reading history of Mr Gandhi, a man who was among the highly qualified in his time of 19th century itself, a professional Lawyer having foreign vitis for the purpose that time too, who is mainly known for his contribution in South Africa. an Iron man walking on the road from top to bottom of India to unite people, sitting in the 3rd class of a train for the purpose to be among the common people bla bla..... once there was a joke that he couldn't become PM or president of free India and it was really a joke, did he want too? :rofl:

there is a way to fight with the most powerful military of the world without any arm on hands, and he did that, even if he himself started running Charkha etc too, to boycott foreign products under his efforts to protect the home industries. once i discussed, he was a forward cast person in Hindu Religion and this is how people sit on the chair when their leader of Congress sewing cloths for himself, as below........ we find Mr Gandhi always winning this competition among all the Indians born during 20th century, by a hefty margin in fact :india:

=> and the best part of his life was the way India's Father of Nation died, after being shot down by a Hindu Extremist for favoring Pakistan :truestory:
Godse was a Hindu nationalist with links to the extremist Hindu Mahasabha, who held Gandhi guilty of favouring Pakistan and strongly opposed the doctrine of nonviolence.[126]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi#Assassination

=> http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/economy-infrastructure/58632-dreamed-india-3.html#post863086 :india:

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
It's Thakur, not Tagore.
Its Tagore in English and Thakur in Bengali.Btw Rabindranath Tagore was not of Thakur caste.He was a Pirali Brahmin.Pirali Brahmins were Brahmins who had been once converted forcefully to Muslim faith and then converted back to Hinduism.I am proud that he was the first Asian laureate and a Bengali.:thumb:

Last edited:

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Jawaharlal Nehru is the greatest Indian ever.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Jawaharlal Nehru is the greatest Indian ever.
Just as Lenin was greatest Russian, Mao greatest Chinese, Muhammad( prophet) greatest Arab, Nehru was also greatest Indian so far as his impact is concerned. One's negative contributions always win the day for him.

In my view, it was Patel who was greatest Indian of twentieth century as his legacy is positive unlike that of Gandhi, Nehru and Ambedkar( Ambedkar being referred as greatest Indian is quite shocking).

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Why not Ramaswamy Periyar?
Periyar allegedly made a few nasty remarks on Brahmins and other upper castes.I do not know if its true or not.Also he was a bit too pro British imo_On the other hand Dr. BR Ambedkar played a major role in shaping modern Indian society imo.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Periyar allegedly made a few nasty remarks on Brahmins and other upper castes.I do not know if its true or not.Also he was a bit too pro British imo_On the other hand Dr. BR Ambedkar played a major role in shaping modern Indian society imo.
Ambedkar did not play any role as caste inequality was removed because of hundreds of reformers influenced by west. The reason Ambedkar is glorified is because he is the only Dalit worth some salt and hence in order to appease them, he is praised to skies. Ambedkar was as much pro british as Periyar and was literally a paid agent. He is also not responsible for constitution as he was just chairman of drafting committee and all provisons of our constitution have been taken from others , mostly from Govt of India Act, 1935. Nothing original about it.
Dalits have not produced anything worth so they have him as their god and in this age when that goon Kanshiram is praised by BJP , it is hardly surprising that a man like Ambedkar is glorified. His only solid contribution is conversion of some ex dlits into Ambedkarite version of Buddhism.( I do not think that it is positive)

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Its Tagore in English and Thakur in Bengali.Btw Rabindranath Tagore was not of Thakur caste.He was a Pirali Brahmin.Pirali Brahmins were Brahmins who had been once converted forcefully to Muslim faith and then converted back to Hinduism.I am proud that he was the first Asian laureate and a Bengali.:thumb:
Do thakurs exist in Bengal also? I do not know of any kshatriya presence in Bengal.What is caste of Sharmila Tagore?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Ambedkar did not play any role as caste inequality was removed because of hundreds of reformers influenced by west. The reason Ambedkar is glorified is because he is the only Dalit worth some salt and hence in order to appease them, he is praised to skies. Ambedkar was as much pro british as Periyar and was literally a paid agent. He is also not responsible for constitution as he was just chairman of drafting committee and all provisons of our constitution have been taken from others , mostly from Govt of India Act, 1935. Nothing original about it.
Dalits have not produced anything worth so they have him as their god and in this age when that goon Kanshiram is praised by BJP , it is hardly surprising that a man like Ambedkar is glorified. His only solid contribution is conversion of some ex dlits into Ambedkarite version of Buddhism.( I do not think that it is positive)
Well everyone has his opinion.For me Ambedkar was great because he DID provide provisions in the constitution for women`s equality,etc which was quite revolutionary at that time.As for the greatest Indians it has to be Netaji and Ambedkar for me.Maybe I had put the vote on Netaji as I think he was the only reason we got independence(just my opinion and because I am a Bengali:laugh:).

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Do thakurs exist in Bengal also? I do not know of any kshatriya presence in Bengal.What is caste of Sharmila Tagore?
Same as Rabindranath Tagore probably.There was a tv programme Mirrakel where she was a guest and I remember her telling Mir that she is related to Rabindranath Tagore.So she is a Pirali Brahmin.(was/is I dont know)
Also there are a few Thakurs in bengal.I do not know what is their caste.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Well everyone has his opinion.For me Ambedkar was great because he DID provide provisions in the constitution for women`s equality,etc which was quite revolutionary at that time.As for the greatest Indians it has to be Netaji and Ambedkar for me.Maybe I had put the vote on Netaji as I think he was the only reason we got independence(just my opinion and because I am a Bengali:laugh:).
The bill for women's rights was passed more by insistence of Nehru rather than Ambedkar. Women's equality was not that revolutionary at that time as we were quite liberal by that time.
We got independence because of Herr Fuehrer not Netaji or Gandhi . This is my last post on this thread and yes everybody has right to have his own opinion and so no further debate.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Same as Rabindranath Tagore probably.There was a tv programme Mirrakel where she was a guest and I remember her telling Mir that she is related to Rabindranath Tagore.So she is a Pirali Brahmin.(was/is I dont know)
Also there are a few Thakurs in bengal.I do not know what is their caste.
Thank You.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
We sea the history from 1900 to 2000 of India....

Here we come across many people, many movements and many personalities who influenced the minds of the Indians and changed the course of Indian History.....

Prior to Independence it was undoubtedly Gandhi who influenced and contributed to Indian history the most. He contributed to Indian freedom from the colonial rule. He influenced the Indian masses with his philosophy of non violence and the culture and concept of mass movement. Mass movement was so foreign to Nehru and Jinnah but they both picked it up from him, but not before Subhash Bose would do that. At a different level Arobindo Ghosh and Tilak influenced the English educated Indian Hindus to a great degree with their religious political thoughts. Jinnah and Nehru ended up dividing India, if it can at all be termed as contribution at all.

There were so many others - Bhagat Singh, MN Roy, The Neval Mutiny and the terrorist movements to name a few.

But what largely shaped India was Nehru and Sardar Patel's refusal to give in to an archaic fundamentalist Muslim attitude of black mail of usurping entire India for Muslim rule merely as exchange of British Rule with Mogul Rule. The Muslim elites as also the Hindus accepted division of the country but not the Muslim blackmail under new circumstances and in a new historic context. That would turn out to be the best decision they would take and history would judge it as wise decision some of it already having been proved . The Indians ( who think they were Indians) would establish their own state and the country and the Moguls got their pie rather than whole of India as Jinnah or many other Muslim elites dreamt of .

After independence, Nehru faltered and let down the idea of India right in 1948. He was more interested in perpetuating his rule and imposing his own brand of Mogul Type dynastic rule through his selective idea of secularism rather than endearing himself to the majority which he could never do and would have not been successful to do. He very badly proved to be the guilty man of 1962, the greatest shame India suffered in 20th century largely due to him, his misplaced ideas and his political cronies.

His daugheter, Indira Gandhi emerged as a big leader and led the country to the victory over Pakistan in 1972. That gave a great sense of confidence to the nation. However, she also emerged as murder of democracy in India. She was responsible for fracturing the polity and sectorisation of Hindu society. Vote bank politics of the kind existing today was her ill - contribution.

Out of all, however, Indira Gandhi does emerge as a leader who faced vast challenges, safeguarded Indian interests in the backdrop of intense Pakistani hostility, cold war pressures , American hostility and gave confidence to the nation in the victory of 1971. It was a defining moment for the emergence of India as a self confident nation.

It is unfortunate she is not even listed. That speaks about the bankruptcy and superficiality of the initiator of the thread.

I am sorry for being harsh.

Netaji subhash chandra bose
Mahatma gandhi
Sardar vallabh bhai patel
General Sam Manekshaw
Homi jahangir bhabha
Jawahar lal nehru

But for Indira Gandhi's leadership in crucial times we would not be what we are today....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles