Great fall of China: section of wall collapses

Discussion in 'China' started by pmaitra, Aug 9, 2012.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Great fall of China: section of wall collapses

[​IMG]
    Great Wall Collapse. Image from Daily Mail.

Source: Great fall of China: section of wall collapses - Telegraph

3. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

I hope it is repaired quickly and completely. The Great Wall is one of the great wonders of Asia.

W.G.Ewald and huaxia rox like this.
  4. huaxia rox

huaxia rox Senior Member Senior Member

could be just tip of the iceberg......great wall is so long we in fact need lots of resources to fully protect it......and its so old the structure is becoming very fragile.......

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  5. Predator

Predator Regular Member

walls like that are useless to stop invaders, relics of the past

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Something must surely be done to restore it.

It is a world heritage.

And it is so wonderous that it has been even spotted from space.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  7. Predator

Predator Regular Member

i see it as wasteful expenditure, why spend good money on something that has lived past it's utility.

NASA - China's Wall Less Great in View from Space
    The visible wall theory was shaken after China's own astronaut, Yang Liwei, said he couldn’t see the historic structure. There was even talk about rewriting textbooks that espouse the theory, a formidable task in the Earth’s most populous nation.

8. huaxia rox

1 if great wall can be seen from the outer space is debatable and truth should be respected....how ever even its not seen from spacecraft its important to chinese......

2 if great wall is valuable is chinese own business...we dont need forigners to tell us what we r supposed to do.....just like do u think chinese language is important???well i dont really care....what i care is all the chinese think our own language is important then thats enough....and for me or some hindus....is taj mahal useful? why u spending money on maintainning that???...i guess for many indians my question doesnt bother as well......

3 great wall in history largely prevented invaders from the north although not 100% successful...and we (i mean mainly han chinese) also launched some of our attacks using it as well.....

9. Oracle

Oracle New Member

/\/\/\ You do spend billions of dollars on your Monarchy? Whaddya say about that?

10. Predator

Predator Regular Member

your chinese astronaut claims wall cant be seen from space, you think he is lying.

If you dont care why bother coming on a forum and question other's views. remember this an indian forum and i dont need your permission to voice my opinion, you don't tell me you what to say.

who are these "some hindus"? your comrades in CCP?

becoz its a money earner for those in tourism business.

So what? what utility does a wall have in 21st century when invaders can simply fly over such puny walls to invade.

11. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Was that not maintained by their Archeology Dept? Now restoring will cost a bomb.

12. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

Trying to maintain thousands km of wall is prohibitive financially. Most scenic and historical sections should be preserved and paid for by tourism.

13. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Just from an engineering perspective, if water could be excluded or efficiently drained, problems could be avoided, I believe. The photo shows how the wall was constructed and filled; that is interesting to me.

14. huaxia rox

from which u can see that i think hes lying?

i m saying my views here....dont need your views and dont need to tell u what to say....

these hindus hate that fact that its a islamic temple and wanna change the truth calling it a hindu temple....u think any cpc member really wanna get involved in this issue???

great wall is also open for tourism business atractting lots of trallvers....but every thing needs to be maintained properly....

many parts of great wall were built 2 thousands years ago....all invaders have been handled.....today no invader can just easily fly over it and safely return...

15. Predator

Predator Regular Member

that's your view since you don't agree with his claim.

forum are meant express to one's views, if you don't want you hear other people's views then don't come here.

That's a figment of your imagination

how do you plan to maintain a wall that stretches of thousands of kms? where is the money for it?

you didn't get the gist of my post, in this age walls are pretty useless as a defence mechanism

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Repair the wall.

The tourists want their money's worth!

17. huaxia rox

again from which u can see that i dont agree his claim??

i can hear your views but dont need your views.....in terms of great wall chinese can hear indian views but dont need them....

check it or i bring some links here....u and me.....at most 1 is correct here.....

prc has a lot of sites need to be maintained and to choose whom needed to be maintained and maintained to what extent could be complicated....how to use limited resources is for those experts in this field to decide.....

i said in history it was useful in military.....

18. Predator

Predator Regular Member

^ not going to waste more time coaching a poster who pretends to be a fool and keeps making circular arguments