Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirapp

@pmaitra, make a gif from your sub-machine gun fire at gun range, would look awesome.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag

Either they must provide good quality or must allow the Army to get goods ones from outside...... This is very selfish on their part.......

pmaitra

@pmaitra, make a gif from your sub-machine gun fire at gun range, would look awesome.. :)
LOL, good idea. I will do that. :)

Once done, will let you know.

commando elite

why not standardise an intermediate round with stopping power of m43 and accuracy of 5.56

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

The RFI for multi-cal is included 6.8mm & 6.5mm rounds..

commando elite

i know that sir but i think multi cals will only create logistics nightmare

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Actually it will reduce logistic nightmare, details :

In present situation IA use Insas, AK/AKM, FAL,

1. All of this rifle have different spares there fore a single unit need to have different spares for different Rifles..

2. Spares means bolt, bolt carrier, trigger assembly, Gas tubes etc all are different..

Now, In Multi-cal Rifle, Same kind of Rifle is used for different rounds this means all spares are same except the barrel, gas tube and lower receiver..

What is same is trigger assembly, bolt and bolt carrier, Upper receiver all the same except few internal changes, this will reduce logistics..

i know that sir but i think multi cals will only create logistics nightmare

abingdonboy

Country flag

Guys, is this news not screaming F-INSAS to anyone else? Or is it just me?

Some interesting points from a seemingly tedious news story-

1) IA/MoD is not going to be inducting anymore INSAS post 2013, which begs the question what will replace it? And is this related to the F-INSAS program?

2)MoD is allowing pvt compaines into the fold- a VERY good move IMHO.

3)"the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria"-Isreal I'll assume the Tavor but what weapons is India getting from Austria? I know some state SWAT teams are using the AUG STEYR but I don't think these workers would notice that devlopment, they seem to be implying this is being done in large numbers and for the IA.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

1. Yes it had to be FINSAS Rifle..

2. HMT is selected probably, Lets see how they worked out..

3)"the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria"-Isreal I'll assume the Tavor but what weapons is India getting from Austria? I know some state SWAT teams are using the AUG STEYR but I don't think these workers would notice that devlopment, they seem to be implying this is being done in large numbers and for the IA.
@abingdonboy,

Can you provide the link where you got this news that Austria and IWI are selected ? Berrata had the lead AFAIK..

abingdonboy

Country flag

1. Yes it had to be FINSAS Rifle..

2. HMT is selected probably, Lets see how they worked out..

@abingdonboy,

Can you provide the link where you got this news that Austria and IWI are selected ? Berrata had the lead AFAIK..
Kunal, I got this news from the OP:

Employees of the Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT) on Wednesday staged a demonstration against the ministry of defence for deciding to stop procuring small rifles from OFT and three other government rifle factories.

As many as 1,600 OFT technical staff owing allegiance to various employees unions demanded that the ministry allow OFT, Ordnance Factory in Nalanda, Small Arms Factory in Kanpur and Rifle Factory in Ishapore to go on with manufacturing of rifles with state-of-the-art features for supply to the Indian Army instead of importing such arms from foreign countries and allowing private companies to manufacture arms in India.

S Chandrasekaran, president of the National Defence Workers Union-INTUC, said, "OFT and three other government arms factories have been manufacturing small rifle 5.56mm INSAS for supply to the Indian Army since 1999. OFT manufactured 4.5 lakh 5.66 mm INSAS rifles so far. As the Indian Army recently decided to procure multipurpose rifles, MoD decided to stop procuring small rifles from OFT after March 2013. OFT now has to supply 19,300 5.56mm INSAS rifles to the Indian Army to reach this year's target."

"Nearly 70% of our staff are involved in small rifle manufacturing. Rest of us are engaged in other arms like under barrel grenade launchers (UBGL). By stopping the manufacture of small rifles, our staff could suffer financial loss as they will not get overtime duty and other benefits," he added.

Chandrasekaran also said, "Moreover, the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria and allow private companies for rifle manufacturing even though the rifle factories are equipped to produce such arms. Last year, OFT staff designed the latest rifle called 'Trichy Assault Rifle'(TAR). After putting it to various experiments, the MoD shelved the idea to procure TAR for the Indian Army for unknown reasons."

Ordnance factory staff fear job insecurity - Times Of India

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Then i assume, Galil ACE from IWI and may be steyr aug BULLPUP..

abingdonboy

Country flag

Then i assume, Galil ACE from IWI and may be steyr aug BULLPUP..
I understand the Israeli part- could be Galils (for SFs) or Tavors (for pretty much anyone these days!) but AFAIK only 1/2 state SWAT temas use STEYR AUGs and these, I'd assume, were being bought in small numbers off the shelf and would not be worth a mention by OFB unions/workers. I'd be surprised that they even new it was in service with SWAT teams in india. So the question that arisies who are these AUGs for?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Will see it soon...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I dont know about this batch of STEYR AUG though saw AUG in NSG museum in 2009..

Do you know something or are you just guessing?

commando elite

what happened to the rifle trials which started almost 6 months ago, are the results out ?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

NAGPUR: Insas, the country's first indigenously designed rifle which was used in the Kargil war but criticized by soldiers, may be finally on its way out from the Army.

The Army hasn't placed any fresh orders with the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) for the 5.56 Insas rifles for the current as well as the coming year.

Concurrently, the army is evaluating proposals from foreign vendors for new rifles, but a final decision is yet be to taken. It is scouring the arms market for advanced rifles which have features like interchangeable barrels of different calibre. Initially, the rifles will be purchased directly from the vendor. Later, it will be made at the ordnance factories under a transfer of technology (ToT) agreement with the vendor.

Sources in OFB say the army is likely to have not placed any order for Insas in light of the planned acquisition. "The army is supposed to have generated enough reserves by this time so as to meet any exigency," said a source in OFB.

OFB chairman Sudhir Kumar Beri confirmed about no indents being placed. Currently, the ordnance factories are making the Insas rifles for the paramilitary only.

Insas rifles may be on its way out

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

This is really disappointing. The country's defense industry produces combat helicopter, subs, destroyers, frigates, etc, but cannot give their troops their own rifle. For the love of god Indonesia is doing that.

I hope the private sector has a chance to manufacture the future rifle.

abingdonboy

Country flag

This is really disappointing. The country's defense industry produces combat helicopter, subs, destroyers, frigates, etc, but cannot give their troops their own rifle. For the love of god Indonesia is doing that.

I hope the private sector has a chance to manufacture the future rifle.
It is pretty pathetic. The thing is the capability is there, just not the will or sense to use it! Instead they are happy making cheap crap! I'm glad the IA told them to get lost-maybe this will serve as a wake up call that. Now that the IA is looking elsewhere the OFB has lost a guarenteed customer so they'll actually have to devlop quality products of a world-class standard that can go up the best from the rest of the world for open tenders for Inida. I'm glad these monopolies are being broken all over the defence market. Competion dirves up quality and drives down costs.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles