Govt now plans Fishermen Rights Act for coastal areas

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by anoop_mig25, Jan 11, 2011.

1. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Govt now plans Fishermen Rights Act for coastal areas

Posted: Tue Jan 11 2011

If forests belong to the forest-dwellers, then the coastal areas should belong to the fishing community. Acting on this line, the government is proposing to bring in a new law — modelled on the Forests Rights Act — to establish rights of fishermen on the coastal areas and resources found therein.
    The Forests Rights Act, passed by Parliament in 2006 and brought into force in 2008, recognises the rights of tribals and traditional forest-dwellers on forest land and its resources. Any diversion of forest land for other purposes can be done only with the consent of the forest-dwellers. This powerful legislation has been used by the government to block some high-profile industrial projects, including Vedanta’s bauxite mining project in Niyamgiri hills of Orissa.

Now, the government is proposing a similar legislation — as of now being called the Traditional Coastal and Marine Fisherfolk (Protection of Rights) Act, or just Fishermen Rights Act, for short — for the coastal areas, aimed at benefitting fishermen and other traditional communities living on the coast and using the resources of sea for their livelihood. These communities will have the right to possess land and build habitations near the coast, rights over fish and other products of water bodies, and the rights to protect, conserve or manage resources in coastal areas or in sea.
    The need for establishing and protecting the rights of fishing communities has become important in view of the government’s initiatives to strengthen the regulation of construction or industrial activity in the coastal areas with the aim of protecting these ecologically fragile zones.

Only last week, the government notified a revised set of Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) guidelines that will regulate all activities within the first 500m of land from the coast and also in the entire territorial waters, extending up to 12 nautical miles, from the coastline.

The proposed legislation would ensure that the fishing communities and other traditional dwellers who have been living in the coastal areas for long and depend on the sea for their livelihood are treated differently from outsiders under the strict CRZ regulations. The new CRZ notification also makes this distinction and makes exceptions for these communities in certain instances.

As of now, the legislation is only at the discussion stage. A draft legislation has been put out by the Environment Ministry for public debate. After incorporating suggestions received from the stakeholders, a final draft legislation would be presented to the union cabinet for approval before being piloted as a Bill in Parliament.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------members plz provide ur views here , we had already seen what tribal laws can do if oppsite party is in power. the men who is member of NAC his report form the basis of cancelation of vendaata baxuite project in orrisa he has himself said in interview with indian exprees that if vendata had provided jobs to at least 500 adhvasi/tribals then he could have other thoughts about the project(if want then i would try to provide link for it) . i mean instead of encouraging/forcing vendata to hire adhvasi they simple canceled the mine rights this prevented orrisa from getting huge revenue (which is itself revenue starved now orrisa has to depend upon central assistance to fund various central/state level social project) d u think there isn`t any poltical motive under grab of tribals rights .

now instead of legal ther is more probablity of illegal baxuite miming in said area without revenue to tribals as well as to government . i am sure if there had happenend in congrees rule state the mining contract would never had been canclead and some way or other some project had continued

3. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

Do you know how Right to Information is being used/misused for personal gains? NO? Here it is.

A BPL need not tender any the meagre fee of Rs. 10. Next, if he gives his application in Post Office, he need not pay postage too. Cost? 50 P for a sheet. What are the returns? Any number of pages of information. Collect them and sell them and buy hooch.

I stumbled upon this when I was a CPIO. I was getting almost one request each week from one such man. I did stump him. I invited him to inspect and select the documents whose copy he required. I even offered him to crystallise his requests. Soon the rquests ceased.

4. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

Do the forests REALLY belong to a few persons or the NATION? Same with seas and marine wealth.