Govt looking at 100,000 MW solar power by 2022

ladder

Country flag
@ladder

Do you agree with this Govt's mission of providing 100,000 MW of Solar Power by 2022 ? If yes why ?
I support solar power. About 100,000 MW. I suppose one or two agencies have calculated that the potential value of solar power in India will be 100,000 MW (by 2022). Thus by saying that that figure P. Goyal is aiming at 100% utilization of the potential. Thus, as we are both not new to India we know 100% utilization is a rarity.

But, I will take the statement as a zeal to aim higher and over a modest target which UPA had projected ( 20,000 MW). P. Goyal has already drawn a road map for 20,000 MW and funds of which will be provided till 2019. So, govt. is aiming for higher generation and how much more than 20,000 MW can be added till 2022 can't be predicted but 100,000 MW target seems too steep to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
8% or 800% ..but, at what cost ? At the cost of what ?

My health ? My children's health ?
By all means, nuclear power plants are better for your child's health than Solar ones. Solar energy requires silica, whose mines will cause silicosis. Now compare the incidence of silicosis(which will be the hazard of solar energy) to the incidence of radiation poisoning(the hazard of nuclear energy) from a western country and then claim that solar energy is safer.
Or, some self-serving statistics can substitute for our basic need of "feeling good & being healthy". Are you not aware of rampant Cancer incidences in Punjab, Great Noida etc. & their causes ?
How much of it is caused by radiation vs the cancers due to smoke(from thermal plants/or silicosis in mine workers?)?
Or, you have absolute no concern for the health of millions Indians who live in areas where mining of fossil-fuel happens ? Since, you live so far away from the wretched areas, where the mineral wealth of India lies, makes you impervious to their plight. Why not, for starters, shift to some area where coal-based thermal power plants are based. I have visited enough plants (in UP) to understand this, first-hand.
Agreed, but at what cost? Should we make the production of food grains 4 times more costly by instituting solar energy? More people will die from starvation and poverty than from coal mines if we are to implement the solar energy on mass scale
If you have some data that proves "renewable sources cause comparable/more pollution vis-a-vis fossil-fuels", then, please share.
Again, you claim solar energy is safer. So present me with data to prove that more people die from radiation poisoning than from silicosis

This obsession with 8% growth at whatever cost is beyond ridicule or sympathy. Unhealthy populace cannot sustain 8% & lest you forget, there are enough studies to prove that India already looses on economic growth rate, due to poor healthcare.
Poor healthcare is a direct result of poor economy, not the other way around. The best way to fix our health as of NOW, is by rapid economic growth and not by bankrupting ourselves with hippie stuff like solar energy! Bankrupt India will in no means be an healthy land. 8% growth at any cost will make India anything BUT unhealthy. Bigger economy means bigger health spending and better living standards for everyone.

For heavens sake, how much does poverty kill in India vs the death from coal plants?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
That is why i put map,it clearly shows most advanced countries of the world fall in cold segment.Common don't be childish not only mobile almost all electrical goods prices are decreasing continuously or Qulty increasing with same price.

:dude: where on earth i used more ppl used that is why price decreased.I said mass production&tech up gradation :dude:
Again, we can adopt it, AFTER its price has fallen

shankyz

Country flag
^^ Price won't fall unless we adopt it and generate economies of scale ...

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
By all means, nuclear power plants are better for your child's health than Solar ones. Solar energy requires silica, whose mines will cause silicosis. Now compare the incidence of silicosis(which will be the hazard of solar energy) to the incidence of radiation poisoning(the hazard of nuclear energy) from a western country and then claim that solar energy is safer.

How much of it is caused by radiation vs the cancers due to smoke(from thermal plants/or silicosis in mine workers?)?

Agreed, but at what cost? Should we make the production of food grains 4 times more costly by instituting solar energy? More people will die from starvation and poverty than from coal mines if we are to implement the solar energy on mass scale

Again, you claim solar energy is safer. So present me with data to prove that more people die from radiation poisoning than from silicosis

Poor healthcare is a direct result of poor economy, not the other way around. The best way to fix our health as of NOW, is by rapid economic growth and not by bankrupting ourselves with hippie stuff like solar energy! Bankrupt India will in no means be an healthy land. 8% growth at any cost will make India anything BUT unhealthy. Bigger economy means bigger health spending and better living standards for everyone.

For heavens sake, how much does poverty kill in India vs the death from coal plants?
I understand your point. But, could you please share any doc/report comparing the pollution caused by Solar Energy vis-a-vis Coal-based power gen. plants ?

I am all for nuclear energy. I am only against the preferential bias towards new coal-based plants. The bias arising out of the misconceived notion that coal is oh-so convenient & apparently cheap to mine, missing the plight of those who suffer & the toll it takes on our environment (potentially worsening climate-change & reducing our sustainability as a agriculture-surplus nation). Climate change & nation's food security are interlinked & important.

The only difference between our line of thoughts is: I am thinking about long-term sustenance while you are thinking about getting rich quick.

In my opinion, we should become early-adopters of the innovation in green energy technologies & develop these tech. for consumption on a mass scale. Lest we continue to piggyback on western patents at a heavy price.

Kharavela

Country flag
You first said loans aren't available.
I said soft & easy loans. Try approaching a bank for Solar installation, you will come to know.

It is available who ever gives NABARD, Ministry or Bank. Above posts mentions it.
There lies the difference. Because NABARD refinances the loan for less than 300 watts, the Bank has to finance in the first place to the consumer. If the Banks would not finance, what will NABARD refinance ?

Coming back to Solar installations of more than 300 watts but less than 5000 watts, appliication moves through the concerned State Renewable Development Agency. My personal experience is "Nothing moves there without bribe, even with bribe files move with pace of a snail". I suggest you to once approach OREDA, you will come to know what I mean.

How? What is the cost incurred by govt. for electrifying a village in traditional method Under RGREM. Compare the costs and tell me. Only because govt. bears it you don't feel the pinch.
Here is a comparision between Conventional High Pressure Sodium Vapour and Solar LED for installing 10 streetlights. https://www.scribd.com/doc/249899589/Comparision-Streetlight-Solar-LED-vs-HPSV

Loans are available. The process will be streamlined only when there is demand and through law you can create demand.
Nobody, not even governments can create demand for any commodity through enacting laws. Forget that.
Chidu tried to curb gold imports through law. Result: More demand for gold, Price Rise & Black market for Gold.

Why do I have to? The registration process of new building will be linked to solar PV installation.
People will fit non-functioning Panels to get new-building plan passed by authorities. OR Solar systems may be rented for a certain period to get the building plan passed.

Grid connection of 5KW system? Stupid Idea. Govt. to knows it. So, it is not covered.

Why do you want to connect a 5KW system to grid? Synchronisation will be difficult and loss incurred will be high enough to not give any benefit.
Hope I am not hurting your sentiments, but this shows your inadequate knowledge on the subject matter. Let me explain:
1) Govt implements "Rooftop Solar Policy" for less than 5 KW systems &
2) Accepts net-metering which will enable the user to supply excess electricity generated from his Rooftop Solar system to grid
3) Creates easy (hassle free loan) & soft (minimal interest rate) loan policy for installation of Rooftop Solar Systems
then... just imagine the available rooftop space for Solar Systems (you will not need premium land for Solar installations) & the scope of Solar system adoption by middle class (for their quest to lower electric bills every month).

Education loan, car loan, agriculture loan too were difficult too get at a point of time now easy due to policy and regulation.
That is exactly what I am suggesting, POLICY FOR EASY & SOFT LOAN NOT SUBSIDY

which system does your brother deals with, OREDA? Tata or Su Kam? Is he based out of Bhubaneswar?
Trust you might be aware of the fact that OREDA is the Nodal agency of Odisha govt & hence does not has it's own system. My brother is based at Bhubaneswar, please visit Anant Power - Home for details.

Last edited:

charlie

Country flag
Well anyone who thinks solar power is not feasible source, those days are gone.

India till now only tried Photovoltaic (PV) panels for power generation but I think the most feasible system for solar power generation is Concentrated Solar Power (CSP).

CSP Explained. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWIgwvbrcM

A good documentary of Solar power in Germany https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-grdspEWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_D0_YwH8A

India has lot's of villages that are off the grid and solar power is the best system for off the gird power generation. I think Modi will go for solar power for the villages that are off the gird.

Well but it's just not solar power that is going to be feasible for a big country like India, we have to go for wind, bio fuel and Hydropower.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
@charlie

Exactly. We live in a country which enjoys huge amounts of sunlight throughout the year. If planned and harnessed, solar energy alone can supply basic electricity to all of India.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
New Delhi: US-based First Solar Inc. and China's Trina Solar are among firms that are considering plans to set up manufacturing facilities in India, lured by the nation's ambitious solar power generation target and Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' campaign to attract global capital. "There is a lot of interest from major solar equipment manufacturers from across the world given our expansive programme commitments in solar," said a top Indian government official requesting anonymity. "Among the companies which plan to set up manufacturing here in India are First Solar and Trina Solar." New York Stock Exchange-listed Trina Solar Ltd is the world's largest maker of photovoltaic modules. First Solar builds large solar farms, mainly for utilities. The Modi government has raised India's solar energy target fivefold to 100,000 megawatts (MW) by 2022 to cut India's overwhelming reliance on imported fossil fuels. In addition, the government has ambitious plans to create 60,000MW of wind power capacity by then, with an overall investment of around Rs.10 trillion in the renewable energy sector. US-based Sun Edison Inc. had earlier this month said it plans to establish a joint venture with Adani Enterprises Ltd to build a solar photovoltaic manufacturing facility in India with an investment of around $4 billion. The interest from global companies has risen because of government support for clean energy, experts say. "Clean energy investments in India jumped to $7.9 billion in 2014, helping the country maintain its position as the seventh largest clean energy investor in the world.

Read more:
US, China firms plan solar manufacturing plants in India - Livemint

Kyubi

Country flag
Our MSM never reports these ambitious plans by modo gov

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
not if they plan it to cover provisions for roof top solar panel.....it is the most logical thing to do without much investment from a single entity.
I have one Flat scheme right in front of my house where they have installed the Solar panels and small wind mills to produce electricity for common use. I am impressed with the gesture.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
The recently agreement signed by MP govt tells a different story.

Cost of production dropped 60%; price to equal thermal power's in three years
As per the last information received, the bid has touched Rs 4.65 per KW in solar energy in auction. It was Rs 11 few years ago. 4.65 is quite competitive and certainly less than gas based electricity price. It is less than the price at which government sells us electricity. If it goes bellow Rs 3, than there will be a win win situation. Still we import solar cells from china. we must produce them locally.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles